My Yearly Report on What I Am Hearing About the Draft

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Hostile;3915703 said:
He couldn't make the team? Ever? That's just plain silly man. I'll gladly spend a late draft pick on QB every year if it means we can turn some who develop into a high draft pick or we find another Romo. It is worth the gamble. Green Bay made a killing out of trading guys behind Favre to other teams. Philly too. That we should sit idly by and ignore that while we have Romo and Kitna to teach these guys not to mention Garrett and Wilson.

Yeah, great idea.

The others pretty much got to this, but there aren't even enough snaps to go around for four QBs during the season.

If McElroy were some super-toolsy, high-upside prospect, maybe I could at least see what you were getting at. But McElroy is more like Gino Toretta. He'll never be a top NFL QB no matter how much development he gets. Guys like him are available every year, so why would someone trade us anything of value for him?

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Manwiththeplan;3915846 said:
So no real intrest in a 3-4 DEs? Unless the plan is to resign MSpears we'll need some boddies up front. Cam Jordan and JJ Watt would be my plan B and C, with plan A being Tyson Smith, but if we landed Smith in round 1, I'd target a guy like Heyward in rd 2.

I think we resign Spears. He was missed when out.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Hostile;3915818 said:
We've done it a couple of times in the last few years with a guy on the PS. What happens if we stand pat with our 3 QBs and Kitna suddenly retires after this year? The draft is about the future every bit as much as it is about this year. I don't see QB as a luxury at all.

I do, especially if they think McGee can develop into a capable #2

I've seen or heard nothing that suggests they dont think that. Maybe they dont and they'll take somebody next weekend, but I highly dout it.

And unless Romo is gonna crash and burn or have his career end prematurely, he's got several really good seasons ahead of him. Its not like we're seeking his immediate replacement.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Manwiththeplan;3915846 said:
So no real intrest in a 3-4 DEs? Unless the plan is to resign MSpears we'll need some boddies up front. Cam Jordan and JJ Watt would be my plan B and C, with plan A being Tyson Smith, but if we landed Smith in round 1, I'd target a guy like Heyward in rd 2.

I dont see anyway they go through next weekend without drafting 1 or 2 DL's

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
dbair1967;3915901 said:
I do, especially if they think McGee can develop into a capable #2

I've seen or heard nothing that suggests they dont think that. Maybe they dont and they'll take somebody next weekend, but I highly dout it.

And unless Romo is gonna crash and burn or have his career end prematurely, he's got several really good seasons ahead of him. Its not like we're seeking his immediate replacement.
I don't think he can.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
casmith07;3915870 said:
I think we resign Spears. He was missed when out.

I would certainly like that, but there was really no attempt before the lockout and no one to my knowlege with sources has said it's a priority for Dallas

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Hostile;3915917 said:
I don't think he can.

And maybe they agree, we'll see.

I certainly dont see much difference in talent between Dalton and McGee, and McGee is considerably more talented than a guy like McElroy. To me you're replacing a question mark with at least as great a question mark.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Based on Ryan's comments on Bowen, I think he'll likely man the RDE spot. If we draft Kendrick Ellis, Ellis and Brent will likely rotate at NT, so does that mean Ratliff to LDE?

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Alright, I'll let loose what I know from various people in the business. Having friends in my sports journalism classes in college go on to be successful in different markets means I get a wide range of info (along with the gift of Facebook to stay in touch). None of it is concrete, but more often than not it's on the right track.

Unfortunately, none of it is Cowboys' related - sorry.

1. Panthers like Gabbert more than Newton and have him rated higher. That being said, Newton is more marketable in the south and has a higher ceiling. Carolina wants to draft a face of the franchise and not just a position. Newton is 95% the pick barring a meltdown.

2. Von Miller is 100% going to the Bills - biggest lock in the entire draft. Second-tier QB will be the likely pick in the 2nd round.

3. This is Hos' stomping grounds, but the Cardinals are still considering PP potentially over Gabbert. The coaching staff feels Gabbert would be better in the long run, but that same coaching staff is on the hot seat and time is something that can't be bought.

4. New England is going to ditch their persona of quantity and package picks to move up for impact players. Don't be surprised if they crash the top ten and shed some of those extra early picks in the first two days; the apple of their eye? Julio Jones. San Fran is apparently a willing participant depending on what happens with Cleveland.

5. My friend in Seattle told me that the Seahawks took Daquan Bowers totally off their board. That same friend told me that Locker is somebody who Pete Carroll loved from the PAC-10.

6. Same friend in Seattle says a deal gets done soon; too much money, too much negative perception for all parties to not get something done. It won't be ideal for anyone, but doing nothing is the worst inaction that can happen.

7. Dolphins would take Pouncey over Ingram. Said to be big fans of Ryan Williams.

Woods

Reaction score
dbair1967;3915905 said:
I dont see anyway they go through next weekend without drafting 1 or 2 DL's

Agreed, and I think they also draft at least 1 CB.

Even Campo said post R Ryan's hire that they needed to get more CBs on the roster since they went light at that spot during last season.

Plus, drafting a capable DL and CB saves JJ money this year.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Hostile;3915484 said:
I absolutely think Michael Huff will be our starting FS in 2011. He may be the only UFA we sign due to the cap.

One potential road block. If there is no slary cap, and we play under the current rules, he's restricted right? Or was oakland unable to tender him.

tm1119

Reaction score
Hostile;3915831 said:
This is a smart QB needed system. McElroy is. Stanzi is my other QB I like.

Smart gets you by in the Moutain West Conference, but I just don't think Dalton has the skill to be anything more than a marginal QB in the NFL. I see Chad Pennington written all over Dalton. Not a bad QB, just not close to a SB winning QB.

Woods

Reaction score
Avery;3915947 said:
Alright, I'll let loose what I know from various people in the business. Having friends in my sports journalism classes in college go on to be successful in different markets means I get a wide range of info (along with the gift of Facebook to stay in touch). None of it is concrete, but more often than not it's on the right track.

Unfortunately, none of it is Cowboys' related - sorry.

1. Panthers like Gabbert more than Newton and have him rated higher. That being said, Newton is more marketable in the south and has a higher ceiling. Carolina wants to draft a face of the franchise and not just a position. Newton is 95% the pick barring a meltdown.

2. Von Miller is 100% going to the Bills - biggest lock in the entire draft. Second-tier QB will be the likely pick in the 2nd round.

3. This is Hos' stomping grounds, but the Cardinals are still considering PP potentially over Gabbert. The coaching staff feels Gabbert would be better in the long run, but that same coaching staff is on the hot seat and time is something that can't be bought.

4. New England is going to ditch their persona of quantity and package picks to move up for impact players. Don't be surprised if they crash the top ten and shed some of those extra early picks in the first two days; the apple of their eye? Julio Jones. San Fran is apparently a willing participant depending on what happens with Cleveland.

5. My friend in Seattle told me that the Seahawks took Daquan Bowers totally off their board. That same friend told me that Locker is somebody who Pete Carroll loved from the PAC-10.

6. Same friend in Seattle says a deal gets done soon; too much money, too much negative perception for all parties to not get something done. It won't be ideal for anyone, but doing nothing is the worst inaction that can happen.

7. Dolphins would take Pouncey over Ingram. Said to be big fans of Ryan Williams.

With respect to your 3rd point, I can definitely see that happening.

I think the Cards will try to get a veteran QB once FA begins. After a sub-par year last year, the coaching staff needs to turn that ship around pretty quickly if they want to keep their jobs.

Two poor, consecutive years would spell trouble.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6394616

Now, whenever football resumes, Huff either will become an unrestricted free agent, able to go to the highest bidder, or Oakland must pay him $6.325 million to retain his services for 2011.

and lol at Mickey.....
A little-known rule prevented the Raiders from re-signing Huff this past season, as much as they would have liked to, according to an NFL source.

johnnyd

Reaction score
Hostile;3916023 said:
Arizona has talked to us today about the 5 pick.

I just read a blurb that they have received calls regarding the pick. My feeling is still as it was since the combine give me peterson at 1 and Ijalana at 2 and you can have my 3rd. :)

HoleInTheRoof

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;3916023 said:
Arizona has talked to us today about the 5 pick.

Could someone link me to the best Peterson highlight video out there?

Years ago, I was completely against the Roy Williams idea, until a few weeks prior to the draft I saw that "brotha gonna work it out" Heisman RW video.

Is there one like that for Peterson?

Not that I'm against the selection, per se. I'm more or less sick at the thought of ignoring our Oline, and losing out on a stud tackle that we desperately need.

Because you know if we do trade up and lose a 3rd, when we're on the clock at 40, we're not taking the best lineman, we're trading down again in hopes of recouping that lost third.

So we'll get Peterson, but end up with the 10th Olineman on our board, versus the 1st.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
I love the idea of moving up for Peterson. I hope it happens.

The only thing disappointing in Hos' report is I didn't read the name, Wisnewski, in the second round. If we ended up with Peterson and Wisnewski I would be so freakin ecstatic.