My Yearly Report on What I Am Hearing About the Draft

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
TheSport78;3916105 said:
If we give our 3rd round pick to move up for Peterson, it is pretty much a given that we are trading down in the 2nd round to recoup a 3rd.
I agree with this.

laythewood28

Reaction score
Hostile;3916351 said:
I agree with this.

Why move down when you already elected not to take a take a tackle in the first round, shouldn't they stay put and draft the best one available at 40?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
laythewood28;3916355 said:
Why move down when you already elected not to take a take a tackle in the first round, shouldn't they stay put and draft the best one available at 40?
Because they can grab another need in the 3rd if they do.

StarMan2112

Reaction score
Great info. Hos, thanks for posting. If Blaine Gabbert somehow fell to #9 do you think we'd take him?

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
For anyone who is opposed to trading a 3rd to move up to select Patrick Peterson, may I offer the following rebuttal:

Jason Williams
Robert Brewster
James Marten
Jason Hatcher
Stephen Peterman
Derek Ross
Willie Blade

johnnyd

Reaction score
StarMan;3916392 said:
Great info. Hos, thanks for posting. If Blaine Gabbert somehow fell to #9 do you think we'd take him?

you should use one of these :D at the end of a question like this . People might think your slow in the head:D

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
StarMan;3916392 said:

I'll get this one. I very seriously doubt he does and even if he did the answer is NO. By some act of God if he did get to 9, we would trade down I guarantee you. Jerry's phone would not stop ringing. It would be a bidding war.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Avery;3916396 said:
For anyone who is opposed to trading a 3rd to move up to select Patrick Peterson, may I offer the following rebuttal:

Jason Williams
Robert Brewster
James Marten
Jason Hatcher
Stephen Peterman
Derek Ross
Willie Blade

Pretty much should end anyones argument :laugh1: We have been awful in the 3rd round in recent years, i'd almost rather have a 7th round pick(not literally).

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
StarMan;3916392 said:
No. I think QB, TE, K, P, and RB are not on the board for round 1. Probably WR too.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Hostile;3916425 said:
No. I think QB, TE, K, P, and RB are not on the board for round 1. Probably WR too.

Just curious, Any scenario you see us selecting either AJ Green or Julio Jones?

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Romo 2 Austin;3916430 said:

Yeah, like if everyone leaves VR and some brain dead sap sends in the card.

Mrdude108

Corleone
Reaction score
Excellent post, great scenarios there. I would love to move up and take, arguably best talent in the draft, Patrick Peterson even though that is pure hopefulness on my part. My only concern would be our RT need, would we take the best possible option with our second pick, or trade down to get back the 3rd rounder and in effect take a lesser tackle?

Avery

Reaction score
Romo 2 Austin;3916430 said:

Can't see it - unless we were playing four wide every time, that wouldn't happen. I think we would simply sell to the highest bidder.

If we didn't have Dez, I would be on board.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Avery;3916396 said:

Jason Williams
Robert Brewster
James Marten
Jason Hatcher
Stephen Peterman
Derek Ross
Willie Blade

All that list suggests is we need to stop treating the 3rd round like it's the 5th round. We always outsmart ourselves by thinking we are outsmarting everyone else.

Williams, Brewster and Marten are picks that just reek of ego, there was nothing about Marten or Brewster that suggested either had much upside.

RS12

Reaction score
You should be flattered Hos. Somebody took your info and posted it on the other board. They did give you credit for it without coming out and naming you though.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Avery;3916396 said:

Jason Williams
Robert Brewster
James Marten
Jason Hatcher
Stephen Peterman
Derek Ross
Willie Blade

Just post Jerry Jones' picture next time and save yourself some key strokes.

He is the one ultimately responsible for each and every one of those choices.

Avery

Reaction score
Alexander;3916485 said:
Just post Jerry Jones' picture next time and save yourself some key strokes.

He is the one ultimately responsible for each and every one of those choices.

And since JJ is still in charge, we should consider the 3rd tradable. I wish it wasn't that way, but the simple fact is that outside of Jason Witten, we simply don't pick effectively in the 3rd round.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
TheCount;3916477 said:
All that list suggests is we need to stop treating the 3rd round like it's the 5th round. We always outsmart ourselves by thinking we are outsmarting everyone else.

Williams, Brewster and Marten are picks that just reek of ego, there was nothing about Marten or Brewster that suggested either had much upside.

Upside is a consideration, but you draft to your board. If the guys carry a rating there, then you draft them.

Marten was well thought of coming out of BC and was expected to go late 2nd to early 3th at the worst. Brewster was a late riser but was a guy Gosselin had in his last top-100