Name Brand Or Not?

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
Local, and from people you've met, if you can.
I'm glad there's a decent Farmer's presence, even here. We buy from our local growers that we know.
It's actually not hard! Unless you live in some depraved area that doesn't have local growers that you can't meet...

I've bought asparagus that would make you laugh at a high budget's cooking show, showing off their ingredients.
Shoot... Anyone in the Las Cruces area? Every Saturday there is Farmer's Market that covers multiple blocks, right by the Courthouse, that has some incredible buys.
Some of the best Angus, vegetables, eggs and that one guy that slices off the freshest sprouts you could ever buy at a price that will make you ask him if he's doing this voluntary.
I remember when he decided to go homeless, in protest over the Electric Co... lol. Awesome guy!

Glad you have a fresh fruit and veggies market if you're a type 1; those Mexican sodas will kill you, though.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I would agree with that on the quality.

I know that most store brands are required to be made identical to the name brand, just packaged differently. The only way we find out who's making them is on a recall as the manufacturers do not want that information out. Several years ago, there was a recall on Peter Pan peanut butter AND Great Value, Walmart's brand. After the recall, Walmart's store brand took over and Peter Pan's sales dipped at the Walmart stores and Sam's.

Some stores get tricky and have their store brand labeled close to what they want us to think is the real manufacturer. Good example is Albertson's soup labels look like Campbell's but that is not the manufacturer.
One tip on H-E-B brand items, I used to work at their corporate HQ in San Antonio, H-E-B brand is designed to be as good or better as name brands at a similar price point. Hill Country Fair (H-E-B Brand) is suppose to be almost as good as name brand but much cheaper.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One tip on H-E-B brand items, I used to work at their corporate HQ in San Antonio, H-E-B brand is designed to be as good or better as name brands at a similar price point. Hill Country Fair (H-E-B Brand) is suppose to be almost as good as name brand but much cheaper.
Yep, they do a fine job on most of the store brands I've tried and their corn chips are superior to Fritos.

They just opened their new store in Marble Falls and it's a dandy. They're got a full time sushi bar, tortilleria. and 2 chef stations. In a town of 6K, it seems like overkill and they're pulling business from their surrounding stores in Burnet and Llano but it is a welcome change. But I still gotta do my Central Market trek into Austin.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
I never buy soft drinks, unless I have cheap liquor that requires mixing.
I only make mac and cheese myself with true, farm grown bovine secretions.
Be careful, bovine secretions are an aphrodesiac for KsK.

Juggernaut

Reaction score
Mayonnaise: Hellmann's (Real Mayonnaise)
yq0kbkq.jpg

Ketchup: Heinz (Tomato Ketchup)
fd1y2ib.jpg

Brown mustard: Gulden's (Spicy Brown Mustard)
BViHLso.jpg

Hot dogs: Nathan's Famous (Beef Franks)
BQwpO1Z.jpg

Honey: Nature Nate's Natural (Raw & Unfiltered)
BOr6vZx.jpg

Syrup: Uncle Luke's (Maple Syrup)
lOeXOEy.jpg

Jarred salsa: Chi-Chi's (Thick & Chunky)
hikKI73.jpg

Tortilla chips: On The Boarder (Cafe Style)
itaDbMh.jpg

Chocolate sandwich cookies: Oreos (Double Stuf)
1GULAPF.jpg

Ice cream (one pint): Ben & Jerry's (Phish Food)
dMAfqSQ.jpg

Frozen pizza: DiGiorno (Pizzeria!)
sxugsJm.png

Last edited:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Mayonnaise: Hellmann's (Real Mayonnaise)Of course!
yq0kbkq.jpg

Ketchup: Heinz (Tomato Ketchup)Absolutely
fd1y2ib.jpg

Brown mustard: Gulden's (Spicy Brown Mustard)Good choice
BViHLso.jpg

Hot dogs: Nathan's Famous (Beef Franks)Used to be my favorite, until I discovered Hummel Bros brand.........The kielbasa is the best I've ever had too. It doesn't have that aftertaste that gets overwhelming after just a few bites.
BQwpO1Z.jpg

Honey: Nature Nate's Natural (Raw & Unfiltered)Never heard of it, but I think honey is honey.....with the possible exception of the Hot Honey CC was talking about.
BOr6vZx.jpg

Syrup: Uncle Luke's (Maple Syrup)No idea
lOeXOEy.jpg

Jarred salsa: Chi-Chi's (Thick & Chunky)UConn Huskies has their own salsa brand that's very good.
hikKI73.jpg

Tortilla chips: On The Boarder (Cafe Style)Don't know.
itaDbMh.jpg

Chocolate sandwich cookies: Oreos (Double Stuf)Not an Oreos lover.
1GULAPF.jpg

Ice cream (one pint): Ben & Jerry's (Phish Food)Ben & Jerry's is awesome.
dMAfqSQ.jpg

Frozen pizza: DiGiorno (Pizzeria!)Disgusting.
sxugsJm.png

Last edited:

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
I must admit it,
What's funny is to hear some younger people, my son's ages, heavy into Electronica, Techno and Trance in Austin laughing about disco music. Just where the hell do they think all of that came from? And just like back in the day, that music draws the hottest women.
:bow::clap:WOW are you ever dead on CC. Finally, someone I've never met knows exactly where I'm coming from. That's all I listen to (my friend @timb2 gave me lots of great downloads which I made cd's that are awesome) now & it's because I loved going to Disco's & listened to that type of music before it transformed into Techno.

I still hit a dance club every now & then, (remember my knees story) but it's Techno, Trance, Electronica which is basically the same type of music. I applaud you my friend for knowing that.

And the red bold, what do you mean by "back in the day"?!:p;)

Last edited:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
:bow::clap:WOW are you ever dead on CC. Finally, someone I've never met knows exactly where I'm coming from. That's all I listen to (my friend @timb2 gave me lots of great downloads which I made cd's that are awesome) now & it's because I loved going to Disco's & listened to that type of music before it transformed into Techno.

I still hit a dance club every now & then, (remember my knees story) but it's Techno, Trance, Electronica which is basically the same type of music. I applaud you my friend for knowing that.

And the red bold, what do you mean by "back in the day"?!:p;)
He meant "hottest", as in "best looking".............not the ones going through menopause. :muttley: