Nashon Wright & Trysten Hill

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
IMO, Bell will make the 53 before Mukuamu will. I think the team loves Bell and Quinn has a specific role for him to play like Kearse.

I don’t even have a guess as to the Ridgeway/Bohanna competition. It could be either or north making it. However, if I had to guess, I’d go with Ridgeway over Bohanna, like you. We will know soon enough.
Agreed.

It feels good to finally have good talented depth at every position to keep, doesn't it? All signs of recent good drafts and UDFA + free agent pickups. This finally might be our year.

RonWashington

Reaction score
From what I've seen, Hill has been breaking through for some would-be sacks. I'm not sure how his run defense has been, though, since that was his main area of weakness. I also don't know who he has been getting those sacks against.

That’s a good point . Hopefully it’s not Smith the # 1 who I would expect to be starting on the OLine opening night .

RonWashington

Reaction score
In the recently released depth chart, Hill was 3rd string behind Carlos Watkins, a journeyman veteran minimum player. If that's any real indication, Hill might not even make the roster. He's fighting for the 5th or 6th spot.

I might be in the minority opinion here but Watkins is one of Jerry’s better FA signings lately .

RonWashington

Reaction score
Both of these guys are probably going to be at best rotational players. Hill as a 2nd rounder should have been a starter by now. Wright as a 3rd rounder is probably never going to be more than a good ST player and an occasional situational defensive back. That’s best case scenario.

Worst case- Hill gets cut in Sept and Wright in 2023. We will see.

I think you might be selling Wright short . Brown has made a nice career for himself as a 6th rounder . I think DQ has more plans for him then a someone making tackles on ST . Hill is playing to make the squad .

RonWashington

Reaction score
Not buying the Hill hype.

He does this every year...his problem is he is Mr. Almost. He is in a constant state of penetrating and almost making a play. He doesn't have it in him.

I welcome him to prove me wrong but until then....nope.

I hear you .

RonWashington

Reaction score
Trade worthy?

Hill would bring nothing on a trade . Now I could see a team poaching him on cut down day with a plane ticket to a new city .

Wright figures into the depth at CB which is more then the Canady Brunson types could ever contribute . The secondary along with safety seems to be developing some .

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Trade worthy?
Hill hasn’t been what the Cowboys expect him to be, but there may be some faith in the fact that he’s still only 24 years old. It’s much more likely that Hill gets cut as a roster bubble guy rather than traded for anything of value, especially w/John Ridgeway & Quinton Bohanna coming up in the ranks behind him.

RonWashington

Reaction score
Washington thought Albert Haynesworth matured lol

Albert Haynesworth ? Now you pulling names out of the hat next to the rabbit . That dude stepped on a players head one yr and the guy had lost his helmet . He was sort of the “ pac man “ Jones all stars of league fines .

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
According to a piece in todays SB Nation Aidan Davis both Wright and Hill are having good camps . I don’t think Wright was in any danger not making the roaster but it’s nice to know a fairly high pick is having a good camp. Could steal some time from K Joseph maybe challenge Brown.

Hill I would believe is in his last roundup if he doesn’t impress. Cowboys have invested in this position last several drafts plus FA so Hill needs to have a good camp to see the Bucs up close and personal . He has to stay healthy which has been an issue . Two names I was surprised to read about .

Hill will surprise......yes you heard it here first!;)

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
Hill’s only real shot to get a second contract is to definitively win a starting position. We didn’t draft him to be a rotation piece and some other team will likely take a chance on a 2nd rounder.

RonWashington

Reaction score
Hill’s only real shot to get a second contract is to definitively win a starting position. We didn’t draft him to be a rotation piece and some other team will likely take a chance on a 2nd rounder.

people get hung up on starter vs rotational . This ain’t the days of the fearsome foursome with Deacon Jones and co . Other then QB in todays NFL everyone is “ rotating “ in and out .

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Both of these guys are probably going to be at best rotational players. Hill as a 2nd rounder should have been a starter by now. Wright as a 3rd rounder is probably never going to be more than a good ST player and an occasional situational defensive back. That’s best case scenario.

Worst case- Hill gets cut in Sept and Wright in 2023. We will see.
Magic 8-ball strikes again.

Jarntt

Reaction score
Hill needs to go. If he is still on the roster it's because of where he was drafted and/or because the team continues to be unable to evaluate their own talent. The last two years we had 4 DTs on the initial 53. There are 5 guys ahead of Hill. Plus there is talk of Golston rotating in on passing downs and in certain nickel formations Tank did also. The only chance is we go 5 deep and don't keep Watkins. Watkins isn't great but he is better than Hill. Or I guess if the team is only going to pick one of Ridgeway and Bohanna but that still may not clear enough space for him.

Gallimore
Osa
Bohanna
Watkins
Ridgeway

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I also wonder if Bohanna will make the team this year? So much competition at DT. There are only so many roster spots available. Will definitely come down to how many Dlinemen the Cowboys decide to keep. No way the Cowboys get rid of rookie John Ridgeway since he's a Razorback and a personal pick of Jerry's, so Bohanna could be the odd man out? Will be an interesting preseason and final cuts before the regular season starts.
I've watched as much of the practice video as I can, and they don't show much where you can see very well, but Bohanna is with the first team a lot. Sometimes it's Gallimore at the starting 1T but it's pretty much always him or Bohanna. I've never seen Ridgeway with the ones.

Plus Eatman said Leon Lett said Bohanna was the young defensive lineman he was most intrigued with this year and thought he'd make a big step this year.

I'm still not sure how this legend of John Ridgeway as Paul Bunyan got started. I think just because he made some rednecky comments about breaking necks. I heard that Bobby Belt guy say Ridgeway was doing better, but yeah, he's almost always going against backups who won't make the team where Q is going against the starters. From what I've seen, I don't think much of that Belt guy's judgement anyway.

Last edited:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
According to a piece in todays SB Nation Aidan Davis both Wright and Hill are having good camps . I don’t think Wright was in any danger not making the roaster but it’s nice to know a fairly high pick is having a good camp. Could steal some time from K Joseph maybe challenge Brown.

Hill I would believe is in his last roundup if he doesn’t impress. Cowboys have invested in this position last several drafts plus FA so Hill needs to have a good camp to see the Bucs up close and personal . He has to stay healthy which has been an issue . Two names I was surprised to read about .
Wright could be a match up player.

We've seen in camp that Wright and Joseph have opposite skillsets.

Wright vs Vasher. Wright highlights.
Joseph vs Vasher. Vasher highlights.

Wright vs smaller/quicker. Not as good.
Joseph vs smaller/quicker. Joseph wins easily.

Would they use Wright as the 3rd CB to cover Mike Evans? Brown would cover the slot WR

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Hill has elite physical ability.

Going back to his 1st preseason:
vs Run
Good vs power runs that come right at him.

No clue how to defend on the move zone run blocking.

vs Pass
Uber quick penetrator.
About as quick as any 308 pound player in the league.
His best college seasons were as a 3-4 NT.

Might make a wow play off the snap but...
Might fall down from a lunging type penetration move.

His 1st preseason they played the 49ers and their unique zone blocking scheme.
He looked silly vs that scheme.

In the 2021 season playoff game vs the 49ers he was decent.
However, like all Cowboys defenders that scheme gave them problems.
That scheme screws up the timing, angles & run fits for defenders.

Odighi struggled vs that scheme also.

Playing vs zone run blocking might be the #1 key issue for the Cowboys defense in 2022.

The Pats in the Brady era were not a zone heavy offense.
Not certain about Tampa in their Brady era.

49ers, Rams, Packers, Vikings have been top zone teams in recent years.

Cowboys in 2014 were the top zone team in the league but they played both man and zone.
Jerry should offer Bill Callahan HC type money to return as OL coach.
He might be the only guy that can equal the 49ers and Rams zone schemes.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

These are the kind of guys you have to be patient with if you want to develop roster depth.
They are cheap and still young.
Hill was drafted as a baby. He's younger than just about anyone else on that DL still.

Both these guys could get decent pay days eventually and hand us comp pick return.
Hill especially as DTs are always overpaid in free agency.

kskboys

Reaction score
Hill needs to go. If he is still on the roster it's because of where he was drafted and/or because the team continues to be unable to evaluate their own talent. The last two years we had 4 DTs on the initial 53. There are 5 guys ahead of Hill. Plus there is talk of Golston rotating in on passing downs and in certain nickel formations Tank did also. The only chance is we go 5 deep and don't keep Watkins. Watkins isn't great but he is better than Hill. Or I guess if the team is only going to pick one of Ridgeway and Bohanna but that still may not clear enough space for him.

Gallimore
Osa
Bohanna
Watkins
Ridgeway
Why are you so obsessed w/ Hill?