Nate Newton: "When you fall back 50 times you let the defense punch you 50 times"

Haimerej

Reaction score
Really? Would it surprise you to know that Dak's career passer rating from shotgun is 96.9... and from under center it's 106.4.. Weird isn't it.. His completion percentage from shotgun is 65.5.. Under center? 72.7..
We are out of shotgun all the time because that's how the OC wants it.. Dak is all pro good under center.. and just decent from shotgun.. But I know you will never let the facts get in the way of a good story.. So carry on..

"Under center," includes playaction. He's always been good at playaction. We're talking a straight up 5-7 step drop. They essentially don't have a passing game like that from under center.

khiladi

Reaction score
Really? Would it surprise you to know that Dak's career passer rating from shotgun is 96.9... and from under center it's 106.4.. Weird isn't it.. His completion percentage from shotgun is 65.5.. Under center? 72.7..
We are out of shotgun all the time because that's how the OC wants it.. Dak is all pro good under center.. and just decent from shotgun.. But I know you will never let the facts get in the way of a good story.. So carry on..

First of all, under center can mean many things. It says nothing about whether that under center was under a 1, 3, 5, 7 step drop or play action and so on.

Second, rating has nothing to do with quantity, which has been documented as around 2 times a game.

Third, you can say it’s the OC, but it’s not, considering like I said, and your post does nothing to address this point, the offensive philosophy of the Coryell calls for drop-backs that Dak doesn’t do, but is a staple of guys like Linehan and even Garrett. And Dak’s whole career has been out of shotgun.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
It's called Recency Bias....:lmao2::lmao2:

Yeah I thought about that too.. so I went and honed in on just this year's numbers..

Check this out. In 2021

Shotgun Under Center
Completion Percentage : 67% 75%
Passer rating: 101.7 114.1

Just for grins.. 2020:
Completion Percentage : 67.9 68.6
Passer rating: 99.3 101.0

And 2019:
Completion Percentage : 64.1 69.3
Passer rating: 100.5 96.3

So in direct contrast to what dude posted.. The last time Dak was better in shotgun vs under center was 2019.. He was slightly better in 2020 and MUCH better in 2021..

But again... narratives..

Haimerej

Reaction score
I honestly think not having that repertoire is why he misses windows. Joe Walsh said what made Montana great was his feet. He compared him to a ballet dancer. Timing is such a big element that takes a passing game to the next level.

Haimerej

Reaction score
Yeah I thought about that too.. so I went and honed in on just this year's numbers..

Check this out. In 2021

Shotgun Under Center
Completion Percentage : 67% 75%
Passer rating: 101.7 114.1

Just for grins.. 2020:
Completion Percentage : 67.9 68.6
Passer rating: 99.3 101.0

And 2019:
Completion Percentage : 64.1 69.3
Passer rating: 100.5 96.3

So in direct contrast to what dude posted.. The last time Dak was better in shotgun vs under center was 2019.. He was slightly better in 2020 and MUCH better in 2021..

But again... narratives..

Are you going to ignore what's said and dismiss again? Deja vu.

mahoneybill

Reaction score
So if we are keeping track.....

MM brought in his buddy Nolan to run the defense. No need to rehash the specifics.

He brought in other buddy to run ST and we run fake punts from our down 20 down by 6, and that same guy brings in his buddy, a kicker that misses 6 extra points.

Another part of the friendly fun is the OL coach.....

Really, what does MM bring to the table besides constantly reminding the world that he once won a Super Bowl?

=======
Another part of the friendly fun is the OL coach.....

Bring in the Packers O Line coach and let him teach their all hold, no penalty method....

RonnieT24

Reaction score
First of all, under center can mean many things. It says nothing about whether that under center was under a 1, 3, 5, 7 step drop or play action and so on.

Second, rating has nothing to do with quantity, which has been documented as around 2 times a game.

Third, you can say it’s the OC, but it’s not, considering like I said, and your post does nothing to address this point, the offensive philosophy of the Coryell calls for drop-backs that Dak doesn’t do, but is a staple of guys like Linehan and even Garrett. And Dak’s whole career has been out of shotgun.

Play the goalpost moving game with someone else.. You claimed Dak was not good from under center.. The numbers say you were speaking from your farthole. Now it's about the number of steps, play action, and so on.. The bottom line is about 20% of his career pass attempts have come under center.. his passer rating is MUCH higher from there and his yards per attempt are nearly a yard and half more..8.9 to 7.6 .. I know you will never admit it.. but the simple fact is he is better from under center.. Your stating otherwise carries no weight whatsoever.. I know you don't care but he is also FAR better using play action over his career as well.. but again.. The narrative trumps facts.. So carry on..

mahoneybill

Reaction score
I honestly think not having that repertoire is why he misses windows. Joe Walsh said what made Montana great was his feet. He compared him to a ballet dancer. Timing is such a big element that takes a passing game to the next level.

Montana was a college level capable basketball player. That demands control of your feet, quick movement, etc.

Romo had some of those skills. Dak to me isn’t as nimble as those two.

Source quote on Montana

Joe Montana nearly accepted a basketball scholarship to North Carolina State University. But western Pennsylvania is known for its love of football, and such a tradition finally swayed Ringgold High's star quarterback to attend the University of Notre Dame in Indiana on a football scholarship.

Read more: https://www.notablebiographies.com/Mo-Ni/Montana-Joe.html#ixzz7IXzXi6jS

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Are you going to ignore what's said and dismiss again? Deja vu.

When "what's said" flies in the face of the facts.. Yeah.. pretty much.. First it was "we don't put Dak under center because he's no good at it.." Then it was "well I meant 5-7 step drops not from play action against the wind in night games on Tuesdays..." Get the hell outta here with that nonsense..

khiladi

Reaction score
Play the goalpost moving game with someone else.. You claimed Dak was not good from under center.. The numbers say you were speaking from your farthole. Now it's about the number of steps, play action, and so on.. The bottom line is about 20% of his career pass attempts have come under center.. his passer rating is MUCH higher from there and his yards per attempt are nearly a yard and half more..8.9 to 7.6 .. I know you will never admit it.. but the simple fact is he is better from under center.. Your stating otherwise carries no weight whatsoever.. I know you don't care but he is also FAR better using play action over his career as well.. but again.. The narrative trumps facts.. So carry on..

Completely 100% wrong.. I didn’t change any goal-post, you just don’t know what you are talking about when you responded with your completely irrelevant data, which further reveals you don’t even know how to interpret the data you are presenting.

We are out of shotgun all the time, because Dak threw exclusively out of it in high school and college, and unlike guys like Mahomes, he hasn’t shown any sustained ability to throw out of a drop-back.

Because of the QB…

The Coryell which Linehan, and even Garrett, ran used traditional drop-back passing and timing based patterns as staple. Romo did it all the time here. They had to reconstruct the offense around Dak for 6 years. You can’t honestly say a guy like Linehan, whom Moore is basically the disciple, took out the drop back for this QB, because he wanted too.

Dak’s skill set eliminates a lot of possibilities. The only way one will really see how good Moore can be is when he leaves and gets to coach a real QB.

I never used the term “under center” once. So when I clarify your inaccurate assessment, that’s exactly what it was, a correction of your inaccuracies.

Last edited:

RonnieT24

Reaction score
That is a strawman. No one has made that claim.

So am I to interpret this as saying Dak is good at it?

khiladi said:
"We are out of shotgun all the time, because Dak threw exclusively out of it in high school and college, and unlike guys like Mahomes, he hasn’t shown any sustained ability to throw out of a drop-back."

Haimerej

Reaction score
When "what's said" flies in the face of the facts.. Yeah.. pretty much.. First it was "we don't put Dak under center because he's no good at it.." Then it was "well I meant 5-7 step drops not from play action against the wind in night games on Tuesdays..." Get the hell outta here with that nonsense..

Read again. You're disassembling.

Haimerej

Reaction score
So am I to interpret this as saying Dak is good at it?

khiladi said:
"We are out of shotgun all the time, because Dak threw exclusively out of it in high school and college, and unlike guys like Mahomes, he hasn’t shown any sustained ability to throw out of a drop-back."

"Drop back."

RonnieT24

Reaction score
This is projection and hypocrisy. You literally moved the goalposts from no traditional dropback to under center.

Show me where anybody mentioned "traditional dropback"... he stated "under center." If you're not under center you're in shotgun.. No mention was made of "dropback" until the other assertion was proven false.

Haimerej

Reaction score
Show me where anybody mentioned "traditional dropback"... he stated "under center." If you're not under center you're in shotgun.. No mention was made of "dropback" until the other assertion was proven false.

You literally quoted it and I quoted back to you.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
You literally quoted it and I quoted back to you.

My mistake.. he stated that "we are in shotgun all the time" which I extrapolated to mean that the formation he was claiming Dak to "not shown any sustained ability to throw from" was under center.

Fine .. I will bow to your knowledge if you can help me understand this.. Where is the QB if he is not in shotgun in your universe?