Nate Newton: "When you fall back 50 times you let the defense punch you 50 times"

Legend

Reaction score
I wished our OL played like a prime Nate Newton and push the defenders back; instead of holding or getting beat.

Even at the end of this video, Jimmy states: “let’s go OL, knock their a*^ back.”

Last edited:

Loso86

Reaction score
.... you let the defense punch the line in the mouth 50 times"

Listening to Nate on HWTB podcast and he echoed a lot of what I have been saying about our offense specifically with regard to the pass/run ratio and the blocking schemes. He reiterated that our guys are too good a players to keep looking this bad. Basically stating that the blocking schemes are too passive and gives the defensive front all the advantage even in the run game because we stand up and absorb the hit even on running plays for the most part. I get the theory behind it.. You try to make all the plays look the same so as not to tip things to the defense.. but guess what.. the goal of the defensive line is to stalemate the offensive line and find the ball. If you stand up and don't drive them they can go find the ball without exerting a lot of energy.. and when they see it's a pass they can go hunt your QB. When they see it's run, unless they are complete chumps they are already in position to make the tackle... or the backside guy who just threw your tight end out of the way will.

Even the toughest guy on the block will eventually get knocked out if you let the other guy punch him over and over without letting him punch back. This team needs to get back to punching the defense in the mouth.. Period..
Pretty much we need our line coach from 2016 back I forgot his name

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Part of why the run game struggles is because they don't run traditional passing plays from under center. That's just a fact. Again, you're equating what we're talking about with what they currently do under center when you're bringing up Romo's numbers, which are irrelevant to the discussion.

It's more than just running from a traditional set as opposed to shotgun. Over 90% of the time they line up under center it's a run or playaction. You bring up predictability a lot. That's probably the most predictable thing about the offense.

The biggest reason the run game struggles is because we don't block it well. Under center, shotgun, wildcat .. doesn't matter if you don't block the guys coming to get your backs. We also run the vast majority of our run plays right up the middle.. which would be fine if we had Larry Allen, Nate Newton and Ray Donaldson up front.. But we don't.. We have ONE interior linemen in that class.. and he simply is not enough. The other two get mauled or just flat blow assignments with stunning regularity. One solution might be to run outside but the only people on the field worse at blocking than our LG and center are our TEs and receivers. I brought up Romo's numbers in response to the assertion that we took under center plays out of the playbook because of Dak.. Just another blatant falsehood that needed to be dismissed. I will say this however.. It could very well be that we took the straight drop back plays out of the offense after Dak's calf injury for reasons I hope I don't have to explain.. I would have to watch all 16 of his starts to say for sure.. and who has time for that? I just know that almost a quarter of his pass attempts came from under center.. and he was absolutely stellar on them.. Looking at how much better he is vs shotgun I am truly at a loss to explain why we don't do more of it.

Finally, predictability is not the death knell of a play if it is properly executed. If every blocker blocks his man then that's a win for the offense. Some of the funniest stories Nate tells are when he talks about all the times they would just tell the defensive line "We comin right at ya big boy.." and then proceed to maul them anyway.. When you are predictable AND you fail to execute.. well THAT's when you end up averaging 3 ypc (or less) as a team with 5-6 TFLs every game..

Last edited:

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I wished our OL played like a prime Nate Newton and push the defenders back; instead of holding or getting beat.

Even at the end of this video, Jimmy states: “let’s go OL, knock their a*^ back.”

Yep .. at no time did we teach "stand up, wait and see where the defender goes and then try to get in his way.." I long for those days.. I get that Williams and Biadasz may not be strong enough to play that style.. So what? They didn't exactly set the world on fire playing the current style either..

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
The guy was arrested for transporting drugs....I have ZERO respect for him..

WTH...lol? Why did you make this post about drugs? This makes me sad that you would say this. Guess I'll go hit some devils weed, grab my guitar, and think about how our 90's Cowboys played on offense...them boys gonna get you.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WTH...lol? Why did you make this post about drugs? This makes me sad that you would say this. Guess I'll go hit some devils weed, grab my guitar, and think about how our 90's Cowboys played on offense...them boys gonna get you.
I know a lot of dead people that were affected by the sale and transporting of drugs in my area.....that's why

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
I know a lot of dead people that were affected by the sale and transporting of drugs in my area.....that's why

I know...you and I have already discussed that...I agree with you on that. But, it really did not need for you to get triggered by that...we was talking about the good times when football players played real ball.

Legend

Reaction score
John Madden liked Nate Newton. Another clip from the divisional round of the playoffs.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know...you and I have already discussed that...I agree with you on that. But, it really did not need for you to get triggered by that...we was talking about the good times when football players played real ball.
My bad....

AKATheRake

Reaction score
.... you let the defense punch the line in the mouth 50 times"

Listening to Nate on HWTB podcast and he echoed a lot of what I have been saying about our offense specifically with regard to the pass/run ratio and the blocking schemes. He reiterated that our guys are too good a players to keep looking this bad. Basically stating that the blocking schemes are too passive and gives the defensive front all the advantage even in the run game because we stand up and absorb the hit even on running plays for the most part. I get the theory behind it.. You try to make all the plays look the same so as not to tip things to the defense.. but guess what.. the goal of the defensive line is to stalemate the offensive line and find the ball. If you stand up and don't drive them they can go find the ball without exerting a lot of energy.. and when they see it's a pass they can go hunt your QB. When they see it's run, unless they are complete chumps they are already in position to make the tackle... or the backside guy who just threw your tight end out of the way will.

Even the toughest guy on the block will eventually get knocked out if you let the other guy punch him over and over without letting him punch back. This team needs to get back to punching the defense in the mouth.. Period..

There you go. Didn't know how to post it myself my man but you did it.

I said it earlier in other posts.

Nice Thread.

plasticman

Reaction score
I have always argued this very point.

It was the same with Garrett and now Moore has followed in his footsteps.

You have this big physical offensive line with Tyron, Zach and La' el. You have two RB's that can run the ball. When you run teh ball then the offensive line is attacking. The defense must figure out the direction of the run.

When you pass the ball you force your O-line into a defensive posture and now the D-line gets to attack.

They have to run the ball to balance the attack. Even if you don't get the yards initially, you will eventually wear down a defense.

A lot of the failure of 20o10 was the fact that you had built a massive run blocking offensive line with Gurode, Adams, Columbo, and Davis and they were being forced to pass block 65% of the time. Seriously, in the first 6 games of the 2010 regular season, they passed 65% of the time. They went 1-7.

And before anybody brings it up, in every game there was a 7 points or less margin with 10 minutes to play in the 4th quarter so there was no need to go pass happy to catch up.

During those same 6 games, the Cowboys ran the ball on the 1st and 2nd down of a series two total times. Not only that, but they got the 1st down both times.

That was Jason Garrett as OC and Moore is doing the same.

That wasn't Jimmy Johnson and it sure as heck wasn't Bill Parcells.

The Cowboys O-line doesn't need a more complex blocking scheme to run the ball, they just need to be bigger and stronger and more disciplined.

Sometimes Larry Allen would tell the opponent defensive line what direction the Cowboys were going to run by mimicking a train whistle. Why did he do this? Because he knew there was nothing they could do about it

Late in the game, Larry would walk up to the line before the snap, pump his arm up and down and go "Whoo Whoo!!" like a train whistle.to let them know the RB was running behind him.

I'm not saying these guys are Larry Allen although Martin comes the closest. I'm saying they need to develop that attitude and be bullies and that's not going to happen when you have to back step two thirds of the time.

75boyz

Reaction score
Knock yerself out. I bet Jimmy would run the ball a helluva lot more than Moore did too..

true that. I was just responding to the choosing nate's ring count of 3 over Kurt's as my quantifier for expert analysis although he officially won 2. He was responsible for the 3rd as well.
And yeah, I take Jimmy's opinion on both the running AND passing deficiencies of this team.

He qualifies as an expert in my opinion.