NBA 2015 Season Talk

bigdnlaca

Reaction score
After seeing game 2, I can see Clevland winning 3,4, and 6 unless Draymond Green becomes more aggressive instead of trying to make a pass while he has an open lane.

Cleveland gameplan was obvious that they weren't going to let Curry go off and let Draymond Green / Barnes become the 2nd option.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Makes you wonder. I think Cleveland would have won the series with Kyrie. Despite winning this game, I still think it's too much for LeBron to sustain. He's doing too much in too many minutes.

I think this will cement his legacy.

If they win and he literally carries them to title.... Then he will have a great story.

Gets to final. Loses.
Goes to Miami. Loses bookend titles but wins two in the sandwich.
Gets all that experience,

Comes home. Wins it all in first year... Missing his top guys.

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
No stragedy needed. Curry needs to shoot better. 5-23? Really? He had decent looks. Gotta knock'em down.

I think Dellavedova did a great job of following him off screens and being physical.... nor did they switch as much.. a lot less Triston Thompson getting caught in a switch in this game. I saw a stat that Curry was 5-10 against everyone else.... 5-23 total.... (apparently he made no shots on Dellavedova).

On a side note... Dellavedova even did a good job guarding Green in the post on a switch.

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
I think this will cement his legacy.

If they win and he literally carries them to title.... Then he will have a great story.

Gets to final. Loses.
Goes to Miami. Loses bookend titles but wins two in the sandwich.
Gets all that experience,

Comes home. Wins it all in first year... Missing his top guys.
that would most definitely add to the legacy... big....

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
I think Dellavedova did a great job of following him off screens and being physical.... nor did they switch as much.. a lot less Triston Thompson getting caught in a switch in this game. I saw a stat that Curry was 5-10 against everyone else.... 5-23 total.... (apparently he made no shots on Dellavedova).

On a side note... Dellavedova even did a good job guarding Green in the post on a switch.

here is the actual stat... to correct.. and put in perspective..

When Dellavedova was guarding Curry, the NBA Most Valuable Player went 0-for-8 from the floor, 0-for-5 from 3-point range with four turnovers.

Jenky

Reaction score
here is the actual stat... to correct.. and put in perspective..

When Dellavedova was guarding Curry, the NBA Most Valuable Player went 0-for-8 from the floor, 0-for-5 from 3-point range with four turnovers.

He played good D. They need to pressure Curry as much as possible and tire him out. I noticed he's more prone to turnovers and his shot isn't on point.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
To me, the offensive flow for GS, last night, was just bad. They are allowing Cleveland to do the only thing they can do to be succesful and that is slowing the pace of the game and allowing GS to dictate that pace. If GS gets out and runs, plays transition and finds the early offense, then they beat Cleveland by 20 IMO. If they don't, and they allow Cavs to find Curry and mark him up on D, then they are going to have a lot of these kinds of games and in that situation, you allow James to be a one man band on Offense. It's literally the only way GS can lose this series IMO. They gotta get away from this and start running IMO. Cleveland can not match up with Barnes in the open floor IMO. GS needs to get him the ball and let him get early offense. That will kill Cleveland. JMO

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
To me, the offensive flow for GS, last night, was just bad. They are allowing Cleveland to do the only thing they can do to be succesful and that is slowing the pace of the game and allowing GS to dictate that pace. If GS gets out and runs, plays transition and finds the early offense, then they beat Cleveland by 20 IMO. If they don't, and they allow Cavs to find Curry and mark him up on D, then they are going to have a lot of these kinds of games and in that situation, you allow James to be a one man band on Offense. It's literally the only way GS can lose this series IMO. They gotta get away from this and start running IMO. Cleveland can not match up with Barnes in the open floor IMO. GS needs to get him the ball and let him get early offense. That will kill Cleveland. JMO

I agree, Cleveland has been doing an excellent job with getting back though....
I think Green is the key , they have no answer for his open for ball handling, and ability to find people when matched up with Moscgov, or Thompson... but Cleveland is winning the oboards.... so it's making it tough.

Jenky

Reaction score

GS doesn't want to play Cleveland in the inside game. They'll stick with the Timofey and Thompson combo and dominate if GS plays that way. They want to continue with that smaller but faster lineup and free up shooters. They're trying to do what they've done all year, but Cleveland is playing really good D right now.

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
one other thing.. if harrison barnes is in at the 3... he has to guard Lebron.... that's been no bueno.....
if he's in at the four he hast to deal with TT if Clev decides to stay big (although usually they adjust with JJ)

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
No stragedy needed. Curry needs to shoot better. 5-23? Really? He had decent looks. Gotta knock'em down.

CLE beat Curry to death all night on screens.
He didn't just accidentally miss a bunch of shots on his home floor; he got whooped.

CLE is a tough and very good defensive team.

Blatt is heinously underrated(his attacking the glass strategy took away GSW fast break. As is Delladova. That guy plays hard as hades and makes the most of very limited athleticism.

I still think GS in 6 or 7 but it won't be a cake walk.

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
CLE beat Curry to death all night on screens.
He didn't just accidentally miss a bunch of shots on his home floor; he got whooped.

CLE is a tough and very good defensive team.

Blatt is heinously underrated(his attacking the glass strategy took away GSW fast break. As is Delladova. That guy plays hard as hades and makes the most of very limited athleticism.

I still think GS in 6 or 7 but it won't be a cake walk.

I agree with this.. (been happening way too much recentlyo_O:cool:)

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I think you play Barnes on James and let it happen. James also has to play Barnes and that's not an easy matchup for James either. LeBron has put up 44 and 39 in each of the two games. It's not like they are limiting his scoring either way. If you put James on Barnes, you can then bring him out on the perimeter and get him away from the basket. At least then, you have a better chance of preventing him from pulling down boards. He got 16 last night. I think you gotta get Barnes more involved on Offense. He's shooting just under 50% from the field against Cleveland.

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
I think you play Barnes on James and let it happen. James also has to play Barnes and that's not an easy matchup for James either. LeBron has put up 44 and 39 in each of the two games. It's not like they are limiting his scoring either way. If you put James on Barnes, you can then bring him out on the perimeter and get him away from the basket. At least then, you have a better chance of preventing him from pulling down boards. He got 16 last night. I think you gotta get Barnes more involved on Offense. He's shooting just under 50% from the field against Cleveland.

But Iggy has been doing an excellent job... james was 7-10 on barnes in game 1. At the end of regulation James last 6 possession against Iggy... 1 make, 2 free throws (which should have been an offensive foul), 1 turnover, and 3 misses, including the game winning attempt.

Iggy has been guarding LBJ for a long time... he's not just shooting poorly randomly, they are giving a great defensive effort, not helping until he makes deep penetration. You put Barnes on him and this changes..

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
But Iggy has been doing an excellent job... james was 7-10 on barnes in game 1. At the end of regulation James last 6 possession against Iggy... 1 make, 2 free throws (which should have been an offensive foul), 1 turnover, and 3 misses, including the game winning attempt.

Iggy has been guarding LBJ for a long time... he's not just shooting poorly randomly, they are giving a great defensive effort, not helping until he makes deep penetration. You put Barnes on him and this changes..

If you don't get out and run a little bit and start creating early offense, you are going to end up relying on the jump shot and shooting a good percentage. That's literally the only way, IMO, for Cleveland to beat GS. If you get out and run, create early offense, play transition basketball then you outpace Cleveland and they can't match up. James can score 40 but it's not going to matter because GS will increase scoring and Cleveland doesn't have anybody else to pick that up. GS is not only not stopping James but they are allowing him to control the boards. If you take him away from the basket, you limit Clevelands ability to get second chance points and you increase your own opportunities by getting the ball out on the fast break and getting easy points. Right now, you are allowing Cleveland to play basketball with an output of around 100 points and giving them a really good chance to win games at 95-100 points scored. If you make them have to score 115-120, that's a much tougher situation for Cleveland. That means that they have to up their own tempo and that is a decided advantage for GS. I think you play Barnes.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I agree, Cleveland has been doing an excellent job with getting back though....
I think Green is the key , they have no answer for his open for ball handling, and ability to find people when matched up with Moscgov, or Thompson... but Cleveland is winning the oboards.... so it's making it tough.

Blatt focused on winning the boards so there aren't GSW leaking out for fast breaks.
Without an elite rebounder to get the break started it doesn't happen.

CLE just played tough old school ball and beat up Curry.

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
If you don't get out and run a little bit and start creating early offense, you are going to end up relying on the jump shot and shooting a good percentage. That's literally the only way, IMO, for Cleveland to beat GS. If you get out and run, create early offense, play transition basketball then you outpace Cleveland and they can't match up. James can score 40 but it's not going to matter because GS will increase scoring and Cleveland doesn't have anybody else to pick that up. GS is not only not stopping James but they are allowing him to control the boards. If you take him away from the basket, you limit Clevelands ability to get second chance points and you increase your own opportunities by getting the ball out on the fast break and getting easy points. Right now, you are allowing Cleveland to play basketball with an output of around 100 points and giving them a really good chance to win games at 95-100 points scored. If you make them have to score 115-120, that's a much tougher situation for Cleveland. That means that they have to up their own tempo and that is a decided advantage for GS. I think you play Barnes.

I don't think playing Barnes more will be the difference between GS scoring 100-115 points a night. They've lived by the jump shot all year, and if they die by it...well.
Cleveland is playing so big on the O boards, its difficult for GS to get out and run, even though they are holding Cleveland to a low shooting percentage.

I agree they have to find a way to run and open the floor, but I guess how they do it is a different question....

Next game should be interesting. Lets see if they follow your idea... because they have to do something.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

That has been smart by Kerr. He's saved Iggy until the 4th quarter to defend LeBron. He couldn't do it all game and he is very physical which would draw fouls early but largely gets ignored late.

Harrison Barnes isn't a 4. CLE is demonstrating that.

GSW best 5 players are 1-3. That's their own real weakness as they are darn good and have a very competent big man.