NBA 2015 Season Talk

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I don't know if I agree that he was bragging.. I think in a tough situation... mind over matter...
but I understand your point.

I agree. I don't think he was bragging, necessarily. I think that in game 5, Curry stepped up and outperformed James in the second half. It almost felt like James was trying to match Curry, shot for shot. James took too many 3, even though he made some, I felt. He needed to go down low and wear out the GS interior. That would have opened up perimeter jumpers for the rest of the team. I mean, he is the best player in the NBA right now and I think that in game 5, for the first time, he might have felt like he was being challenged by another player. I think that statement was as much about ego as anything but I also felt like he had to say that. Do or die game 6 and and you've just lost game 5 by double digits after having put up a triple double, you gotta say something. The Calvary aint coming and in that moment, you try and motivate your guys. I think it's as simple as that.

Having said all this, I was impressed with James and how he handled the lose. It's hard to lose and to go and be a man about it, shake everybodies hand and be a good sport about it is tough in the moment. That showed something IMO. You don't have to like it but you do have to accept it.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I think you are looking at it the wrong way.. Imo of course. If Cleveland was more efficient offensively, could stretch the floor with bigs, they would have been able to reverse the pressure and force GS to match them, because than they would be able to make shots, and secure rebounds.. they would be able to run off of defensive boards because Love can throw pin point outlet passes and push the pace off of the rebounds. Not to mention flexibility lineups to go small with TT, and Love, yet still be able to score. This finals warped what many think Cleveland is. if they are full strength, the warriors are the one with the matchup problems.. not Cleveland.

The series was close without Andy V, Love, and Kyrie.... those guys brings skills that are matchup problems for other teams.... Think about how close this series was without two allstars... and think about how Kyrie controlled that 1st game on one leg.... Don't think "Small" is the future... versatility is the future... and with those three players Cleveland would have had that.

But that's not who they were all year. They really didn't use Love like that. He was basically a spare part in that offense. The rebounding was never really a problem for Cleveland. They rebounded well against GS. Where it might have helped was depth and having an extra rebounder to come in and spell guys but offensively, Cleveland never used Love the way. I mean, you may be 100% right on that but I don't think I'm prepared to go that far. I think to beat GS, you have to be able to defend the three.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
No doubt that LeBron is the best player today but that doesn't mean we all have to like him. His arrogance rubs me the wrong way. Jordan and Kobe's did not for some reason.

It does take help to win a title, no one can do it alone. Like others have said, Jordan had Pippen, Rodman among others and Kobe had Shaq among others.

This leads me to Hakeem.........he had role players, no other stars :)

That man was great and in my opinion........maybe the best ever, especially at Center.

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
But that's not who they were all year. They really didn't use Love like that. He was basically a spare part in that offense. The rebounding was never really a problem for Cleveland. They rebounded well against GS. Where it might have helped was depth and having an extra rebounder to come in and spell guys but offensively, Cleveland never used Love the way. I mean, you may be 100% right on that but I don't think I'm prepared to go that far. I think to beat GS, you have to be able to defend the three.

I disagree. He threw some amazing passes this year from the rebound position, that puts tremendous pressure on defenses. Yes they could have used him more in post offensively, But now you have size stretching the floor, with the ability to play in the post if need be. He wasn't a "spare part", but they certainly didn't use him to his full capability. its not all about rebounding, its also what you do after the rebound that makes Love so special. Not to mention he added extra shooting, that opens up the lane for two creative player... not just one.. LJ, and Kyrie..... not to mention, whomever doesn't have the ball, is on the wing as the second option... not to mention... Andy on the bench for energy....

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
No doubt that LeBron is the best player today but that doesn't mean we all have to like him. His arrogance rubs me the wrong way. Jordan and Kobe's did not for some reason.

It does take help to win a title, no one can do it alone. Like others have said, Jordan had Pippen, Rodman among others and Kobe had Shaq among others.

That man was great and in my opinion........maybe the best ever, especially at Center.

Nope, you don't, and I respect that...

LeBron rubs you the wrong way, but KOBE who ostracized his family, refused to go to any other team in the draft but the Lakers, dry snitched on Shaq's affairs, and walked and talked like he carries a "how to be MJ" guide in his pocket didn't? Interesting..... I guess we all have different triggers.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Nope, you don't, and I respect that...

LeBron rubs you the wrong way, but KOBE who ostracized his family, refused to go to any other team in the draft but the Lakers, dry snitched on Shaq's affairs, and walked and talked like he carries a "how to be MJ" guide in his pocket didn't? Interesting..... I guess we all have different triggers.

Like I said....not sure why I liked Kobe, heh.

I think a lot has to do with LBJ coming in the league after those guys. Maybe if James were first and Jordan/Kobe were being compared to LeBron, I would feel differently.....IDK.

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
Like I said....not sure why I liked Kobe, heh.

I think a lot has to do with LBJ coming in the league after those guys. Maybe if James were first and Jordan/Kobe were being compared to LeBron, I would feel differently.....IDK.

Copy... I don't expect all to like Lebron...
and you know Mamba may have been annoying to me, but he was a bad man on the court...

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score

One other thing... If you have Kyrie and Love on the court, now you have to defend the three as well... and there was a lot of open threes on that court for the Cavs... and if you defend it... there are less people in the paint... LeBron with no help, and off balanced defenders in front of him is not a pretty site.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

Hold on now. He had Robert Horry, one of the best clutch finals players of all time. He had Kenny Smith, had Vernon Maxwell, had Sam Casell, had Otis Thorpe. All of those guys were pretty darn good players.

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
Hold on now. He had Robert Horry, one of the best clutch finals players of all time. He had Kenny Smith, had Vernon Maxwell, had Sam Casell, had Otis Thorpe. All of those guys were pretty darn good players.

Mario Ellie... the narrative changes as we get older doesn't it..:D
and wasn't Drexy their for the second.... yes that narrative changes..lol

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
One other thing... If you have Kyrie and Love on the court, now you have to defend the three as well... and there was a lot of open threes on that court for the Cavs... and if you defend it... there are less people in the paint... LeBron with no help, and off balanced defenders in front of him is not a pretty site.

Yes, but that fits better with what GS likes to do. GS does not want to have to match up in the paint. They get abused there so really, it's better for them if you play for threes because their personnel are better suited to defend the three, rather then the strong inside post game. That's why James looked otherworldly. Not saying that James was not great in that series because he was but there is a reason for that IMO. GS is a terrible inside post defending team IMO. They just don't match up well against strong Post players and James is certainly one of those guys. JMO.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

All were role players at the time. Horry was very young then and his game didn't develop until well after the championship years. Not one of the above mentioned could have carried the team if Olajuwon got injured and they would not have even sniffed the playoffs.

No doubt that Hakeem had some clutch players around him but they were not stars in their own right. Horry got his reputation cemented in Los Angeles.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Mario Ellie... the narrative changes as we get older doesn't it..:D
and wasn't Drexy their for the second.... yes that narrative changes..lol

The Rockets would have won that 2nd title with or without Clyde the Glide :D

He was in the twilight of his career too.

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
Yes, but that fits better with what GS likes to do. GS does not want to have to match up in the paint. They get abused there so really, it's better for them if you play for threes because their personnel are better suited to defend the three, rather then the strong inside post game. That's why James looked otherworldly. Not saying that James was not great in that series because he was but there is a reason for that IMO. GS is a terrible inside post defending team IMO. They just don't match up well against strong Post players and James is certainly one of those guys. JMO.

But that's what I'm saying... if they had to defend the three... Kyrie and James has free reign on the paint... no way Draymont is enough... not to mention Mozgov is still down there... so now bogart has to get involved... That's why I said... It's not match up issues one way, its the other way as well if not more...

look at it this way... the Cavs only loss for one reason, they couldn't make enough shots... GS wasn't an offensive juggernaut, the Cavs held them in check... If you add kyrie, or Love, you know how many more shot would have been made? You know how much space Lebron and kyrie would have had?.... I can't see GS winning that matchup, especially after how close this finals was....
but hey, agree to disagree... It doesn't matter, GS won, and they deserved it.

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
The Rockets would have won that 2nd title with or without Clyde the Glide :D

He was in the twilight of his career too.
I love Dream, I do... I really really do...
but he had help... and a lot of it... those guys were ultimate role players, and most of all they made shots... and drexler was still good......

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
But that's what I'm saying... if they had to defend the three... Kyrie and James has free reign on the paint... no way Draymont is enough... not to mention Mozgov is still down there... so now bogart has to get involved... That's why I said... It's not match up issues one way, its the other way as well if not more...

look at it this way... the Cavs only loss for one reason, they couldn't make enough shots... GS wasn't an offensive juggernaut, the Cavs held them in check... If you add kyrie, or Love, you know how many more shot would have been made? You know how much space Lebron and kyrie would have had?.... I can't see GS winning that matchup, especially after how close this finals was....
but hey, agree to disagree... It doesn't matter, GS won, and they deserved it.

I think that it just doesn't really matter. I mean, Cleveland abused GS on the interior for most of this series IMO. Would have certainly helped with the depth though, no question about that.

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
I think that it just doesn't really matter. I mean, Cleveland abused GS on the interior for most of this series IMO. Would have certainly helped with the depth though, no question about that.

Cleveland was not efficient on the inside because they didn't have enough space, or talent. They missed a lot of shots inside...... LJ passing lanes were narrow, and someone was always in front of him with another guy waiting.... most of his passes were drive baseline, cut off, crosscourt..... i shutter to think if Kyrie was added to this narrative with his ballhadling and shooting skills....

How disgusting was it watching JR Smith and Iman drive to the basket... you knew they weren't going to finish..

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I love Dream, I do... I really really do...
but he had help... and a lot of it... those guys were ultimate role players, and most of all they made shots... and drexler was still good......

Yes, Clyde was very good but Houston did just fine the year before without him. The next season, Drexler wanted out of Portland and to finish his career out at home. He came in at the trade deadline and finished out the season and got himself a ring. He didn't even play all of the remaining games as he was oft-injured, especially the following season.

One of the all-time greats but he should not even be mentioned in the likes of Jordan, Hakeem, Kobe, etc, etc.

Like I said, he was not nearly the same player when he arrived in H-Town....he was 33 years old with tired legs.

My dad had Rockets season tickets from '85 to '97 and I went to 90% of their games from '90 to '95........so I think my knowledge of them is very good :)

Maybe that is why I am so passionate about Olajuwon....he was my sports role-model in my maturing years. Even met him a few times and personally drove him around in a golf cart for half a day.

I admit that my basketball knowledge isn't that great after 1998, but up until then.......I think I know what I am talking about concerning the Rockets :laugh: