NBA Free Agency

cml750

Reaction score

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Interesting. OKC is hard after Pau Gasol. That would be really, really interesting for them. He would fit great with them and he's perfect for what they do IMO. Good open floor big man on the break. Doesn't demand touches, excellent passer and rebounder and can give you points in the paint. Excellent Offensive rebounding big man. That would be huge for them IMO.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Heat and Spurs also jumping in on the Pau Gasol interest. Gasol is becoming very interesting for a lot of high profile teams.

bounce

Reaction score
Gasol would be a great pickup for OKC or SA. Definitely more important to OKC, but he would fit seamlessly in the SA system. Either team that gets him will automatically be the West favorite.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Heat and Spurs also jumping in on the Pau Gasol interest. Gasol is becoming very interesting for a lot of high profile teams.

If he is gonna make the MLE he can pick his spot.
Will be interesting to see what happens as dominoes start to fall.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
It happened last year too. Dwight was shown in a #12 Houston jersey even though that was Patrick Beverly's number. It was no big deal last year but everything is a big deal when it comes to Lin it seems.

Not exactly. They had told Beverly if they got D12 he'd need to switch numbers.
With Lin they told him nothing and publicly are just saying if we get Melo we are trading you.

The odd thing for Houston is they keep insisting they won't trade Lin if they can't sign a big fish.
If that's what they believe they are truly delusional.
They see what Asik did last year (mostly nothing) as he moped about after asking for a trade.
The Rox front office is good with numbers but terrible with people.

Looks like they'd have to give up a 1st to trade Lin so the total for trading away two expiring deals in Lin/Asik is to break even???
That's about as bad as it gets in asset management.
A legit 6th or 7th man in Lin and a starting C both expiring... for nothing but the right to overpay someone else?

Sounds like they have targeted Bosh which actually is a better fit than Melo imho. It offers better floor spacing and more versatility tho the same defensive issues.
Not sure why Houston hates defensive players.
Guess its analytics doesn't shine on that.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Not exactly. They had told Beverly if they got D12 he'd need to switch numbers.
With Lin they told him nothing and publicly are just saying if we get Melo we are trading you.

The odd thing for Houston is they keep insisting they won't trade Lin if they can't sign a big fish.
If that's what they believe they are truly delusional.
They see what Asik did last year (mostly nothing) as he moped about after asking for a trade.
The Rox front office is good with numbers but terrible with people.

Looks like they'd have to give up a 1st to trade Lin so the total for trading away two expiring deals in Lin/Asik is to break even???
That's about as bad as it gets in asset management.
A legit 6th or 7th man in Lin and a starting C both expiring... for nothing but the right to overpay someone else?

Sounds like they have targeted Bosh which actually is a better fit than Melo imho. It offers better floor spacing and more versatility tho the same defensive issues.
Not sure why Houston hates defensive players.
Guess its analytics doesn't shine on that.

While I'm glad NY didn't commit big money to Lin, I'm glad it worked out this way for them. Both the NFL and NBA should prevent poison pills, because no team ever matches them, thus the players don't benefit and imo, they are very under handed.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
10387553_678385738864685_1856433395831125455_n.jpg

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Well, that did not work out like I wanted! Would a Mod please delete this thread, I can't.

RS12

Reaction score
Anthony back to the Knicks, I'll give you millions of reasons why. James back to Miami one or two year deal. Lakers left holding the bag IMO. Jim Buss is a basketball guy even less than Jerry is a football guy IMO.

burmafrd

Reaction score
I think it is very possible that everyone does a one year deal. Then next FA will be truly wild.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
One year deals are VERY risky. Especially when you are gambling with 20m a year for 3 or 4 additional seasons.

guaranteed money is very real.

Will be interesting to see what happens. Once Carmelo and LeBron announce the brakes will come off free agency.

I believe Carmelo stays in NY. He's clearly not worried about winning if it means making less money.
That's his right but it also should make him worth LESS money, LOL.
The fact he even met with the Lakers suggests he cares less about winning.

LeBron, I think, ends up in Cleveland.
I feel like he wants to go home and is in a very different place mentally than most other superstars.
He isn't trying to make movies or collect "side chicks".
He's actively raising kids who also play basketball and already spends summers in Ohio.
Cleveland has the young assets to acquire veteran help if he needs it to win. But it has enough young talent to win for a long-time as well.

The Lakers made horrible moves with Kobe and Nash.
They need a full on rebuild and any star signing up for that is probably in Chris Kaman semi-retirement mode.

bounce

Reaction score
I believe Carmelo stays in NY. He's clearly not worried about winning if it means making less money.
That's his right but it also should make him worth LESS money, LOL.
The fact he even met with the Lakers suggests he cares less about winning.

In all honesty, though, I'm not sure a ring and a good story is worth leaving ~50M on the table. It's easy for fans to say "it should be about winning," but if I have someone offering that much money, winning is far secondary.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
In all honesty, though, I'm not sure a ring and a good story is worth leaving ~50M on the table. It's easy for fans to say "it should be about winning," but if I have someone offering that much money, winning is far secondary.

The problem is none of that is a real total.
It isn't about making 20m here versus 15m elsewhere.

Carmelo with two NBA titles makes what 5, 10, 15M a year MORE in off court money?
He makes how much extra post NBA career?

Dirk is taking less money to stay in Dallas for sure, but long term you wanna bet he makes all that back and then some from Cuban?

A title-less Carmelo makes the top 50 NBA players list and the Hall of Fame but he never enters the conversations of truly elite guys who have Finals MVP trophies.

Winning does have a financial ramification. Forbes 2014 list has LeBron with 53m off endorsements and 19m in salary.
Carmelo only made 8m in endorsements.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

yup, best fit for Bosh is Houston and vice versa.
and Houston lucky if it lands Bosh instead of Carmelo which was a terrible fit.

If Houston can land Bosh plus keep Parsons they win this free agency cycle. --tho they need to find a true PG.

bounce

Reaction score
yup, best fit for Bosh is Houston and vice versa.
and Houston lucky if it lands Bosh instead of Carmelo which was a terrible fit.

If Houston can land Bosh plus keep Parsons they win this free agency cycle. --tho they need to find a true PG.

As a Spurs fan, I'd hate that lineup, especially if they keep Parsons. So, they'll need whoever Harden is guarding to go for 40+ a game...which is entirely possible.