NBA Offseason

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
So he's at best, half the player Kawhi is. And the Spurs lost Danny Green in that deal too. I don't like it. The D took a big hit in the wrong direction. Thanks for you time though @jterrell.
Hey, he's healthy.
He's missed like 15 games in the last 3 years.
And again he's a good dude who is signed for 3 years so no worries about him bolting for big cities.
But yea he isn't a top 5 overall player like Kawhi.
More like 5th best Wing.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Hey, he's healthy.
And again he's a good dude who is signed for 3 years so no worries about him bolting for big cities.
More like 5th best Wing.
Another thing to note is this trade makes subsequent trades easier for both sides.

SAS: They have a guy under contract for 3 years that is a perennial all-star versus a malcontent star with 1 year of control.
TOR: They trade a franchise beloved dude for a superstar then could move said superstar for a box of bricks(if the team flops) and it clears money and they can blame said superstar.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Hey, he's healthy.
More like 5th best Wing.
I wondering if Kawhi even shows up in Toronto. He's extremely disgruntled about not being traded to LA.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Lebron, Durant, Kawhi, Harden...Derozen?

Regardless, a good deal fo SA considering they faced the prospect of losing him for nothing.
wouldn't consider Harden a wing or LeBron really.
Harden is essentially a PG or tweener guard.
LeBron is a point forward.
Give those dudes the ball and get out the way.

Wings mostly play off the ball and DeRozan did with Lowry there as his primary ball handler.

Durant, Kawhi, Klay Thompson, maybe DeRozan, maybe Jimmy Butler...

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I wondering if Kawhi even shows up in Toronto. He's extremely disgruntled about not being traded to LA.
He has no choice. NBA contracts are ironclad.
He would end up costing himself a fortune and also likely end up suspended a good deal of games the following season.
NBA players no matter how upset show up.
Even if they eat hot dogs at halftime. lol.

kskboys

Reaction score
Who is DeMar DeRozen? As a Spurs fan, am I going to like this guy? I just don't know how to feel about this trade.
I think the big guy they got is a very underrated part of the trade. Toronto has a ton of big dudes in Nogueira, Valanciunas(both 7 footers) and Meeks, and there simply weren't minutes for Poeltl. Poetltl is a 7 footer who is fundamentally sound and needs development and playing time. He's a perfect Pop project that seems like a throwin, but may be much more. To be seen.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Lebron, Durant, Kawhi, Harden...Derozen?

Regardless, a good deal fo SA considering they faced the prospect of losing him for nothing.

Wow! You put Derozen as a top 5? I don't even put him in the top 15.

Well, do you mean top 5 at his position or top 5 player overall in the NBA?

phildadon86

Reaction score
He has no choice. NBA contracts are ironclad.
He would end up costing himself a fortune and also likely end up suspended a good deal of games the following season.
NBA players no matter how upset show up.
Even if they eat hot dogs at halftime. lol.
Is it true that if he sits and Raptors suspend him he isnt eligible for FA? If thats true, he has to play. And play well or hes costing himself 100s of millions

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Is it true that if he sits and Raptors suspend him he isnt eligible for FA? If thats true, he has to play. And play well or hes costing himself 100s of millions
yes he has to "earn" the year to qualify as a FA. and until then the Raptors own his rights.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
So he's at best, half the player Kawhi is. And the Spurs lost Danny Green in that deal too. I don't like it. The D took a big hit in the wrong direction. Thanks for you time though @jterrell.
Hey, he's healthy.
More like 5th best Wing.
You guys did win 47 games and got to the playoffs without Kawhi so adding DeRozan has you guys competing again. Ill echo jt on Derozan. Doesnt play defense but is a damn good offensive player. Also sometimes when players like him go to really good organizations, the teams can get some defense out of him

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
No one thought George would stay in OKC. Toronto can still give him there biggest contract

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Wow! You put Derozen as a top 5? I don't even put him in the top 15.

Well, do you mean top 5 at his position or top 5 player overall in the NBA?

No, I was questioning how someone could consider Derozen a top 5 wing and listed 4 with the assumption Derozen would have to be 5th on this list.

I disagree with him being a top 5 wing

Derekmtl85

Reaction score
Raptors fan here, not a big fan of the trade. Talent wise, Toronto wins, but...for 1 year. That's it. After this, we gave away our most loyal superstar in franchise history, for a 1 year rental. Made the team look bad, especially after telling him we wouldn't trade him.

Rough day.