NBA Offseason

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Probably the first good day for the Celtics during the offseason. Got Shroder on a non taxpayer MLE, and Neismith was out of his mind in Summer League play. Great performance by Pritchard as well.

Celtics need to overachieve this season going into cap space in 2022. Elevated play from Neismith and Pritchard would give us better trade packages next offseason.

Shroder for 5 million is a steal, and dude is going to go all out to get a bag after turning down 4/80

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Best guys left in FA?

Lauri -- Pels/Mavs/Hornets? Bulls gonna keep him another year or trade him for a pittance?
Avery Bradley -- Still a solid 2 way guy who doesn't hurt you. Burned some bridges opting out of bubble during a title run.
Dennis Schroder -- Schroder isn't this bad... so weird. Scopred almnost 1000 points last year.
Paul Milsap -- PJ Tucker-esque short big man who can rebound. Rotation worthy for most teams.
Josh Hart -- RFA might need to return to Pels for one more year.
JJ Redick -- Still a great shooter but body is falling apart and he only wants to play in northeast. Likely doesn't want vet min deals and Mavs would gladly use his rights to send elsewhere but needs to happen fast.
From what I read Bulls are asking for a 3rd team to take salary in a any Markaanen S&T. Might make it tough to get a deal done

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I was a bit surprised the Dubs maintained picks 7 & 14 but really interested in seeing how Kuminga develops. Summer League is what it is but he was pretty impressive in his debut.

I thought Moody had a chance of going Top 10 so was happy to get him at 14. I think he has the makeup even as a rookie to receive regular rotation minutes.
With there roster you have to wonder if a big move is on the horizon to make one more run with Steph.

Hard to tell how Wiggins fit in any scenario. He has remade his game to be a quality two way player with iso skills to score late in the clock. So he now fits their model. However, with his career turnaround he is also a positive asset now, and will probably be a centerpiece in any major trade they try to make for a player like Beal or somone of that caliber

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
From what I read Bulls are asking for a 3rd team to take salary in a any Markaanen S&T. Might make it tough to get a deal done
Lauri's path seems to come down to 4 options.
1. Stay in Chicago a year on QO. --he's already asked for a trade so this seems very unlikely.
2. Trade to DAL into the 11M TPE. This means Lauri accepts about 11M starting salary and that is about 4M less than he has asked. --In this scenario CHI wants an R1 to complete the deal.
3. Trade to NOP who have a 17M TPE. CHI wants a 1st and NOP have ample TPE space. Likely CHI preferred partner because of the quality of any picks.
4. CHA is also interested but I've seen less direct paths to make that work.

Lauri has stated his desire to play with Doncic.
But Dallas is very unlikely to pay OKC to take on Powell plus say Moses Brown then also pay CHI a pick and pay Lauri 15M per in the deal.
So I'd say it will come down to Lauri.
If he is firm on 15M then I think he ends up in NOP.
BUT thus far the lack of PG and other things in NOP has been an issue and scared off other players who took far less money elsewhere. Like Dallas' THJ who passed up 88M in NOP to stay in Dallas for 75M.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Dragic watch is on in Dallas as well.

While he parties with Luka we await a possible Raps buy out. Or gets a 3rd team involved to eat the cash.
Raps don't want to pay him 19M to go play for DAL of course so we will see if they can reach an accommodation.
Like Lauri he has publicly stated he doesn't want to be in Toronto.

Does feel like Dallas could end up with both Lauri and Dragic to finish off the off-season but if so it will only be because Euro players wanted to badly play with Luka and took less money to do so.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Lauri's path seems to come down to 4 options.
1. Stay in Chicago a year on QO. --he's already asked for a trade so this seems very unlikely.
2. Trade to DAL into the 11M TPE. This means Lauri accepts about 11M starting salary and that is about 4M less than he has asked. --In this scenario CHI wants an R1 to complete the deal.
3. Trade to NOP who have a 17M TPE. CHI wants a 1st and NOP have ample TPE space. Likely CHI preferred partner because of the quality of any picks.
4. CHA is also interested but I've seen less direct paths to make that work.

Lauri has stated his desire to play with Doncic.
But Dallas is very unlikely to pay OKC to take on Powell plus say Moses Brown then also pay CHI a pick and pay Lauri 15M per in the deal.
So I'd say it will come down to Lauri.
If he is firm on 15M then I think he ends up in NOP.
BUT thus far the lack of PG and other things in NOP has been an issue and scared off other players who took far less money elsewhere. Like Dallas' THJ who passed up 88M in NOP to stay in Dallas for 75M.
Rozier could be an interesting possibility for Chicago in a Markannan trade. Better half court PG than Lonzo, but he can share the court with him. Very good defensive back court. They have White, but he might not fit the timeline for that team anymore. Although he could probably do very well as a 6th man. I dont think Charlotte making that trade though.

I think there could be a good chance he playes on the QO. Chicago could be overpaying there hand here. If they are expecting a third team in the deal to take on salary, thats likely going to cost the team getting Markaanan two 1st's.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Rozier could be an interesting possibility for Chicago in a Markannan trade. Better half court PG than Lonzo, but he can share the court with him. Very good defensive back court. They have White, but he might not fit the timeline for that team anymore. Although he could probably do very well as a 6th man. I dont think Charlotte making that trade though.

I think there could be a good chance he playes on the QO. Chicago could be overpaying there hand here. If they are expecting a third team in the deal to take on salary, thats likely going to cost the team getting Markaanan two 1st's.
I suspect the Hornets interest was pre Oubre.
They had cap cash and could have given him an offer. Cost zero assets.
Doubt Chicago wants Rozier. They have Demar, LaVine, White.
They apparently want ZERO money come for Lauri so basically just want a 1st and no cash or players attached.

Chicago has Vucevic and little to no role for Lauri which is the issue.
They want some return for sure but burning an agent and player to sit them on your bench for a year seems a really unwise decision.

I still believe it comes down to DAL or NOP but there are always weird options not being reported.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
With there roster you have to wonder if a big move is on the horizon to make one more run with Steph.

Hard to tell how Wiggins fit in any scenario. He has remade his game to be a quality two way player with iso skills to score late in the clock. So he now fits their model. However, with his career turnaround he is also a positive asset now, and will probably be a centerpiece in any major trade they try to make for a player like Beal or somone of that caliber

That’s a good synopsis. I just read that the Dubs still apparently have heavy interest in Paschal Siakham. I’m not sure what the trade pieces would be but I’m not sure how much he moves the needle.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
That’s a good synopsis. I just read that the Dubs still apparently have heavy interest in Paschal Siakham. I’m not sure what the trade pieces would be but I’m not sure how much he moves the needle.
Im guessing Green would probably be the salary match given that they are both 4's. Im guessing Green would get re-routed to a 3rd team. Im guessing it would cost 1 of your recent lotto picks and some draft pick sweatener. I wouldn't give up Wiggins for Siakham personally

Siakham isn't as a good a defender or facilitator as Green, but he is still a plus defender and adequate facilitator. Offensively he would be a major upgrade, although his 3% was down alot this year. Before 2020/21 he was usually around .360. If Wiggins continues his upward trajectory as a 2 way iso wing and Klay comes back at even 85% of what he was, thats a pretty compelling top 4. Especially offensively. If Klay is hampered by his recent injuries, I think it would be more his defense than offense. I believe him and Curry can still play their offense game together

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Im guessing Green would probably be the salary match given that they are both 4's. Im guessing Green would get re-routed to a 3rd team. Im guessing it would cost 1 of your recent lotto picks and some draft pick sweatener. I wouldn't give up Wiggins for Siakham personally

Siakham isn't as a good a defender or facilitator as Green, but he is still a plus defender and adequate facilitator. Offensively he would be a major upgrade, although his 3% was down alot this year. Before 2020/21 he was usually around .360. If Wiggins continues his upward trajectory as a 2 way iso wing and Klay comes back at even 85% of what he was, thats a pretty compelling top 4. Especially offensively. If Klay is hampered by his recent injuries, I think it would be more his defense than offense. I believe him and Curry can still play their offense game together
Naw Warriors aren't giving up Green for Siakam.
Would defeat entire purpose of the trade. --win now
They would have to give up Wiggins and at least 1 of the highly paid kids.

Sacto seems to have a much better package to offer based on Hield and cheap assets.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Summer league is always an interesting follow. There are alot of guys that are never gonna play NBA minutes. However its a decent indicator of how a rookie can play VS NBA players, and how much 2nd year guys worked on their game

its crazy that as a rookie Kevin Knox averaged 21 ppg, 6 rpg and 3 apg and was names Summer League First Team but hasn’t been able to gain any traction in the NBA.

I don’t know if it was David Fizdale or what, but we really ruined him

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
its crazy that as a rookie Kevin Knox averaged 21 ppg, 6 rpg and 3 apg and was names Summer League First Team but hasn’t been able to gain any traction in the NBA.

I remember Knox showing some promise as a rookie, and then regressed. Dennis Smith really regressed too too once he got to NY. Compared to contributions and growth you guys have gotten from recent picks, Fizdale could have been a big part of it

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
I remember Knox showing some promise as a rookie, and then regressed. Dennis Smith really regressed too too once he got to NY. Compared to contributions and growth you guys have gotten from recent picks, Fizdale could have been a big part of it

RJ Barrett made a huge jump under Thibs after Fizdale was fired. There was so much wrong with the organization for so long it’s hard to put it on one person, but Fizdale was a bad hire all around

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I am a long-term Houston Rocket's fan but, for most of the past 5 years, I've been really indifferent about their season.

Until now - very excited about their draft.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I am a long-term Houston Rocket's fan but, for most of the past 5 years, I've been really indifferent about their season.

Until now - very excited about their draft.
Jalen Green looks pretty amazing.

As a Mavs fan I have kinda lived your cycle here.
End of Dirk era was so bad and then it was tank tank nonsense no one can watch.
DSJ brought a little spark but it was really the next draft when they moved up to get Luka that brought me back to watching every single game.

Looks like you have the same excitement there in Green.
You guys are still rivals so boo Rox.. lol but in all seriousness on a human level I am glad you have a rookie to enjoy.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

They just could not draft at all.
All those guys are basically minimum wage NBA players now.
Coaching didn't help but coaching ain't saving awful draft picks.