NBA Playoffs thread

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
1. First of all, Jordan retired and came back to win three more. Two of his prime years were gone. Even Payton said he was 'easier' to guard when he came back, but he still won three. He rose and stayed on top. Lebron on the other lost after Cleveland after getting swept, both to the Celtics and Orlando. He clearly saw the writing on the wall. And the argument that the organization did nothing is not really sustained, simply by the fact that both season before he left Cleveland they were the number one team with over 60 plus wins. If Lebron made the finals and lost both those years one could argue the case, but he lost both times in the Eastern conference.

I'm very much aware of Jordan winning 3, retiring and winning 3 more and most of this has nothing to do with any of my points. And while I wouldn't argue that Cleveland did nothing, they clearly mad bad move after bad move. Allowing Carlos Boozer to hit free agency (I know this was an odd situation, but it could've been avoided), poor trades and poor draft picks every year. Did he have any player comparable to Scottie Pippen in Cleveland? What about James Worthy, Kevin McHale, Joe Dumars? Cleveland mad the finals purely because a weak eastern conference.

2. Second, if you actually look at Lebron's stats, his numbers drop when the play-offs come around. For example, 27 points a game average is below his regular season average. These are actual realities that people simply ignore, and they choose to go after obscure stats. Jordan's rises in play-offs and hits it's peak the finals. The NBA final averages aren't even close.

he averaged 27.1 ppg this season and 27.5 in the playoffs. knock him for not upping his game if you want, but don't say his numbers drop. Only thing down is assists.

3. Jordan played top teams, with established HoF in their prime, including Stockton and Malone and a Seattle team with Payton, a HoF PG, Kemp and guys like Schrempf and McMillan. They were definitely not cake-walk teams. Seattle beat a whole bunch of stack teams and their defense was absolutely phenomenal that year. The Blazers were not cake-walks either, breezing through their play-off runs. Plus, Jordan beat the defending champion Pistons at their peak.

Pistons weren't at their peak in 91' in large part thanks to not having Rick Mahorn and other role players like Lambieer and Aguire not being nearly as good. Some of this was offset by the improvement in Rodman, but not all. That Seattle team didn't stand a chance, they had a lot of good players, but they didn't have any great players imo. Payton had yet to peak, in 96' and Kemp was not much better than Blake Griffen is now. Now, none of these or the other teams were cake walks, but outside of Utah, I don't think any of them would be championship teams now.

4. If you take stats like 45 points per game in the playoffs, Jordan had in five what Lebron has his whole career, in this era. he has 7, along with Iverson. Wilt is at number 2 with 8 and Jordan is at 25 games with those numbers.

I honestly don't know what you're saying. How can you count the times anyone averaged 45 points per game? Do you mean 45 point performances? Either way, Lebron is not the scorer that Jordan was. You'll never hear me say other wise.

5. If one argues that Jordan had a cake-walk, Lebron has had it way easier. In a league that Lebron took his Cleveland team to the finals, people ignore the fact that both Dwight and Allen Iverson carried their teams to the finals in a pathetic Eastern conference. In fact, Howard, whose offensive game is utterly lacking and is an absolute nut-case, beat the 60 plus win team of Lebron. Allen Iverson's second leading scorer scored less than both Lebron's second and third leading scorer. This year, Lebron played the Bobcats essentially without Al Jefferson, meaning the worst team in the league a year prior, an aging Nets teams without Brook Lopez and a utterly-overrated Pacers team with a Center shooting multiple zero and 2 point games this playoffs. The West batters and bruises itself until it reaches the team. Plus, Jordan only played in one game seven in any of his championship runs, while it's a trademark of the Heat team.

Again, my intent wasn't to say Jordan had cake walks to the finals. There just wasn't a comparable team, in large part because they were so good. And I even said, in the east at least, there is also no comparable team to Miami, so......not sure why we need to rehash this.

6. This is without even taking into account stats like seven game series where the league has extended the number of games, giving more chances for things like play-off points.

I don't ever use totals in an argument because it skews towards games played. Also don't compare player ages, since it favors straight to HS players (i'll compare ages then)

7. If you look at Lebron's championship stats from 26-29 and compare them to Jordan's in the playoffs his first three championships, it's not even close. Jordan for example has 8 PPG more than him, beats Lebron in steals and assists, and the only thing Lebron bests him in rebounds by an insignificant margin and three point shooting, the latter only because he took way more. And as I said before, 3 point shooting has changed dramatically.

Since you didn't provide stats, I'll have to look this up when I get home, but I'd be curious to see how insignificant the rebounding edge is, versus Jordan's edge in assists and steals, since you didn't refer to them as insignificant. Again, points I'd concede any day of the week.

It's just the reality that rules were changed to create more Jordan's. Hand-checking is the single-biggest advantage a defender had against an offensive player, directing that player to a direction one wanted to go. What your talking about is a totally different game. You have 3 point shooters hanging out in the corners nowadays creating all this space. Grant was not joking when he said Jordan could average 40.

I'll have to look it up later, but across the league I don't think teams score as much as they did in the 80s, when the game was more about the fast break

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
Obviously he was exaggerating, besides, he didn't say that. He said he came to Miami to win not 2, not 3, not 4, ect. Which is the truth, he didn't do it to win one or two and be satisfied, he did it to win as many as he can.

This was obviously an ill advised statement. Only thing I will say to defend this, is I would likely respond the same way if I were to be bombarded by the amount of hate he is (has anyone ever burned you in effigy on live TV?) and suffered a rather humiliating defeat.

i'll advised or not...its why i think he's a pompous jerk.

khiladi

Reaction score
]I'm very much aware of Jordan winning 3, retiring and winning 3 more and most of this has nothing to do with any of my points. And while I wouldn't argue that Cleveland did nothing, they clearly mad bad move after bad move. Allowing Carlos Boozer to hit free agency (I know this was an odd situation, but it could've been avoided), poor trades and poor draft picks every year. Did he have any player comparable to Scottie Pippen in Cleveland? What about James Worthy, Kevin McHale, Joe Dumars? Cleveland mad the finals purely because a weak eastern conference.

The retirement has everything to do with your points if your arguing that the only reason Jordan is really considered is because of things like scoring and a weak league. He retired, came back and won three more. There is nothing which Lebron can do to match that feat unless he does it himself. In fact, the year Jordan retired, he averaged 42 in the finals. Again, in order to make more Jordans, the hand-check rule was done away with the very next year. 2 of the 3 fundamental changes to offense to cater to guard play were done because Jordan retired and so was the third, a couple years later.

And again, you argument about Cleveland is utterly irrelevant. The argument is about the Eastern conference at the time, not what the Eastern conference was like in the era of Jordan, which housed guys like Ewing and Oakley, Miller, Smits, and Jackson, Wilkins and so on. Again, Allen Iverson and Dwight Howard took their teams to the finals in that Eastern conference and neither of them had a guy like Pippen. They had just as bad teams as Lebron did. Howard is not even close to the player Lebron is, and Lebron chocked against them. And again, whether the Cavs let Boozer, who can't play a lick of defense BTW, hit free agency isn't anyway a defense of the point. The Cavs were a 40 plus win team the year Lebron went to the finals. The very next year they hit 50 and his last two years they were a 60 win team. Theey won the Eastern conference and were the best team by record going into the playoffs. That is improvement. But they lost in the Eastern conference playoffs against teams that had worse records. They didn't lose in the Finals, but the East.

he averaged 27.1 ppg this season and 27.5 in the playoffs. knock him for not upping his game if you want, but don't say his numbers drop. Only thing down is assists.

I said AVERAGE throughout his career. Lebron's regular season scoring is around 30 a game and he drops in the playoffs. And last year in the finals, he was held three times under 18. I think Jordan has 4 games in his playoff career of less than 20 and they were early in his career. One time he had 18, following the 49 and 63 point performance. Jordan's numbers just rise.

Pistons weren't at their peak in 91' in large part thanks to not having Rick Mahorn and other role players like Lambieer and Aguire not being nearly as good. Some of this was offset by the improvement in Rodman, but not all. That Seattle team didn't stand a chance, they had a lot of good players, but they didn't have any great players imo. Payton had yet to peak, in 96' and Kemp was not much better than Blake Griffen is now. Now, none of these or the other teams were cake walks, but outside of Utah, I don't think any of them would be championship teams now.

LOL, Rodman was a HoF. And Lambieer and Aguire and Detroit were still battering Jordan, even if we accept your argument. They were still collapsing the lane, still had Isaih and Dumars and so on. They won two straight finals making constant improvement in their records. Jordan and Pippen (most under-rated player and greatest tandem ever) beat them plain and square. You can't even compare the two era's. It's ridiculous. As far as Payton, I don't seriously know what league you were watching. 1996 was Gary Payton's peak in terms of overall performance. He had 231 steals. In fact, it was Payton that Karl shifted to Jordan in game 3, which made Jordan put up his lowest numbers ever in the finals, averaging around 26-27. That was also the finals his father was murdered so that also played into it. Payton that year had his best shooting percentage ever and one of his upper scoring games. That team was stacked. And please don't compare Griffith to Kemp, especially defensively. And Schremph was a three time all-star and phenomenal.

I honestly don't know what you're saying. How can you count the times anyone averaged 45 points per game? Do you mean 45 point performances? Either way, Lebron is not the scorer that Jordan was. You'll never hear me say other wise.

45 PPT performances in the playoffs. He has 20 more than Lebron. You can factor in assists leading to scores and ignore Jordan's assists in those games, (every assist leads to two or three points) and Jordan beats him out by a long shot in these numbers on strength of points alone.

I'll have to look it up later, but across the league I don't think teams score as much as they did in the 80s, when the game was more about the fast break

Scoring has gone down, but check this. As I said, this year the league averaged 21 three pointers per game. In 1986, the numbers were around three. When Jordan hit 49 and 63 against the Celtics, he didn't shoot a single three pointer. When Jordan retired his second time, the numbers went to upper 9s. That is a difference on average of 11 points per game. From this point, you can easily gather that the game has shifted to a perimeter-oriented one and spacing. Jordan working with that much space would be on a different planet. The idea that it was simply about fast breaks is simply not sustained by the fact that the FTA when Jordan retired was at least over 4 more attempts per game, causing a slow down in pace as well. On free throws alone you more then 50% account for the difference in points. Jordan for example, in his 63 point game went to the line 18 times. The players had to attack the rim more. Assists were also higher then. The fundamental and mid-range shot were just better then. Basketball fundamentals are at all-time lows.

khiladi

Reaction score
BTW, I don't think this Heat team would even beat the Magic team with Penny, Shaq and Scott. Penny would get his just as Lebron would get his. He was just as smart and a better jump shooter. Nobody from the Heat could stop Shaq and Scott would be nailing his threes. Hibbert gets zero and two in multiple games in the playoffs. Shaq would have a field day.

joseephuss

Reaction score
2. Second, if you actually look at Lebron's stats, his numbers drop when the play-offs come around. For example, 27 points a game average is below his regular season average. These are actual realities that people simply ignore, and they choose to go after obscure stats. Jordan's rises in play-offs and hits it's peak the finals. The NBA final averages aren't even close.

LeBron James
27.5 ppg regular season career
28.0 ppg playoffs career

I see very few people who say James is better than Jordan.

khiladi

Reaction score
LeBron James
27.5 ppg regular season career
28.0 ppg playoffs career

I see very few people who say James is better than Jordan.

Your correct. I was recently reading a post that was breaking it down, I believe, between 21 and 29. That is where the figure of around 30 comes from. This average negates his first year and second year, though the second year wouldn't have affected the average since it was 27.2, which puts one around those numbers. The first two years Lebron didn't make the playoffs either.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Years Regular season Playoffs
2003-2004 20.9 No playoffs
2004-2005 27.2 No playoffs
2005-2006 31.4 30.8
2006-2007 27.3 25.1
2007-2008 30 28.2
2008-2009 28.4 35.3
2009-2010 29.7 29.1
2010-2011 26.7 23.7
2011-2012 27.1 30.3
2012-2013 26.8 25.9
2013-2014 27.1 27.5
Bold = led league

TimHortons

TheXFactor
Reaction score
Arrogance.

"We're not going to win just 3 championships, or 4 or 5 or 6..."

and

“All the people that were rooting on me to fail, at the end of the day, they have to wake up tomorrow and have the same life that they had before they woke up today. They have the same personal problems they had today. I’m going to continue to live the way I want to live and continue to do the things that I want to do with me and my family and be happy with that. They can get a few days or a few months or whatever the case may be on being happy about not only myself, but the Miami Heat not accomplishing their goal. But they have to get back to the real world at some point.”

What is the problem with that last quote exactly? I never understood why people use that quote against him so much.

TimHortons

TheXFactor
Reaction score
I mean I understand what he's saying and how it can be taken as insulting, but you cannot view that quote in a vacuum. The amount of **** that he was taking (and still takes, to a lesser degree) was completely absurd, and he fired back a bit. is the supposed to be completely complacent with people attacking him personally and just keep his mouth shut? Why isn't he allowed to stand up for himself?

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
I mean I understand what he's saying and how it can be taken as insulting, but you cannot view that quote in a vacuum. The amount of **** that he was taking (and still takes, to a lesser degree) was completely absurd, and he fired back a bit. is the supposed to be completely complacent with people attacking him personally and just keep his mouth shut? Why isn't he allowed to stand up for himself?

It flat out says his life is better than theirs. Period. It was a statement of pure "I am better and have more money than you do and even if I lost, I still have more money and am better."

Did he maybe say it in the heat of the moment or w/e? Sure. But that doesnt change he said it and meant it.

TimHortons

TheXFactor
Reaction score
It flat out says his life is better than theirs. Period. It was a statement of pure "I am better and have more money than you do and even if I lost, I still have more money and am better."

Did he maybe say it in the heat of the moment or w/e? Sure. But that doesnt change he said it and meant it.

I don't think he was straight up saying he has a better life then you. He says that people wake up and have the same life as before he lost in the finals. He is saying that the people who hate him so much, their lives don't get any better because he lost. They have the same lives now that they did before he lost in the finals. "they have to wake up tomorrow and have the same life that they had before they woke up today". The "today" is the day he lost in the finals. He is saying that nothing changes in those people's lives because he lost. The people who hate him still have the same problems they did yesterday, him losing in the finals does not improve their lives in any way. That's what he's saying. He is referencing the fact that people love to hate him so much, even though their lives do not improve because of it.

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
I don't think he was straight up saying he has a better life then you. He says that people wake up and have the same life as before he lost in the finals. He is saying that the people who hate him so much, their lives don't get any better because he lost. They have the same lives now that they did before he lost in the finals. "they have to wake up tomorrow and have the same life that they had before they woke up today". The "today" is the day he lost in the finals. He is saying that nothing changes in those people's lives because he lost. The people who hate him still have the same problems they did yesterday, him losing in the finals does not improve their lives in any way. That's what he's saying. He is referencing the fact that people love to hate him so much, even though their lives do not improve because of it.

would totally be on board with you except for

"They have the same personal problems they had today."

TimHortons

TheXFactor
Reaction score
would totally be on board with you except for

"They have the same personal problems they had today."

All he's saying is that him losing doesn't solve their personal problems, it doesn't actually change anything in their lives. People have the same personal problems that they did before because hating him does not solve any of their problems. He isn't saying that he's better than everyone else, he's just saying that hating him doesn't accomplish anything because nobody's life changes just because he lost in the finals. I dunno, that's how I interpret it.

Aggie87

Reaction score
I just dont get all the Lebron hate. IMO its like all the Romo hate.

What has either, or more specifically, what has Lebron done to have so many hate him? Is it just because he's good and doesnt play for your team?

It's a combination of everything he's done or said, plus his lack of humility, IMO. He may be the best in the game at the present time, but he'll never be loved by everyone the way Magic was, or Jordan was, or others.

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2014/story/_/id/11045954/lebron-james-never-beloved

Aggie87

Reaction score
Tell you who's a good actor - Wade. Ginobili went for the ball, wasn't anywhere near Wade's face, and Wade acted like he'd been jabbed in the eye.

That Chalmers foul was a kidney punch, and flagrant. You ever have one of those you know what it feels like. Parker wasn't acting at all. IMO.

Dwyane Wade is a flopping flopper.

http://news.yahoo.com/miami-g-dwyane-wade-fined-5-000-flopping-205203640--spt.html

His flopping caused Ginobili to have to go to the bench with 3 fouls and sit out. Wade gets two free throws, makes 'em, and the Heat ultimately win by 2 points. The problem with the minor fine for flopping is that it doesn't motivate these millionaires to stop flopping. The Heat won the Wade flopping episode because it gave them unearned points, and the Spurs had to put one of their important players on the bench, who may have made a key stop or made a key bucket that affected the outcome of the game. Him being on the bench because of Wade's flop affected the outcome of the game, IMO.

Chalmers kidney punches Parker, clearly affecting him, and Parker isn't able to make the resulting two free throws. The Heat again ultimately win by 2 points. Chalmer's foul also affected the outcome of the game.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
i'll advised or not...its why i think he's a pompous jerk.

And it's certainly your right to take something a 27 year old said in his most down moment, and define him by it, even though he likely does more for people in need, then most of the people you know put together.

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
And it's certainly your right to take something a 27 year old said in his most down moment, and define him by it, even though he likely does more for people in need, then most of the people you know put together.

a) I coupled it with his whole "the decision" comments WELL BEFORE his most down moment
b) based on what he has, he gives actually very little. I know people that give almost everything they are able.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
The retirement has everything to do with your points if your arguing that the only reason Jordan is really considered is because of things like scoring and a weak league.

Again, not my point and not what I was saying. I was saying Jordan had no one to stop him from winning 6, because he was that much better than his 90s rivals, and the way the NBA is looking now, it looks like Lebron will have an opportunity to accomplish something similar, because I don't see any team that will be able to challenge them going forward, unless OKC or LAC can add another star player.

He retired, came back and won three more. There is nothing which Lebron can do to match that feat unless he does it himself. In fact, the year Jordan retired, he averaged 42 in the finals. Again, in order to make more Jordans, the hand-check rule was done away with the very next year. 2 of the 3 fundamental changes to offense to cater to guard play were done because Jordan retired and so was the third, a couple years later.

I agree which is why I don't really compare Lebron to Jordan at this point in his career. Win 4 or 5, then I'll humor it.

And again, you argument about Cleveland is utterly irrelevant. The argument is about the Eastern conference at the time, not what the Eastern conference was like in the era of Jordan, which housed guys like Ewing and Oakley, Miller, Smits, and Jackson, Wilkins and so on. Again, Allen Iverson and Dwight Howard took their teams to the finals in that Eastern conference and neither of them had a guy like Pippen. They had just as bad teams as Lebron did. Howard is not even close to the player Lebron is, and Lebron chocked against them. And again, whether the Cavs let Boozer, who can't play a lick of defense BTW, hit free agency isn't anyway a defense of the point. The Cavs were a 40 plus win team the year Lebron went to the finals. The very next year they hit 50 and his last two years they were a 60 win team. Theey won the Eastern conference and were the best team by record going into the playoffs. That is improvement. But they lost in the Eastern conference playoffs against teams that had worse records. They didn't lose in the Finals, but the East.

First off, Allen Iverson and the 76ers weren't relevant during Lebron's Cleveland tenure. Maybe his rookie year, but his accomplishment is irrelevant. Second, Dwight had a much better supporting cast. How many teammates did Lebron have that averaged 15+ppg? 1. What about Dwight? 3. How many teammates did Lebron have that averaged 4+ apg? 1. What about Dwight? 3. How many teammates did Lebron have that averaged more than 1 spg? 1 (same guy for all 3 BTW). What about Dwight? 4. Rebounds and Blocks were the only categories that Cleveland's supporting cast excelled in vs Orlando's.

I said AVERAGE throughout his career. Lebron's regular season scoring is around 30 a game and he drops in the playoffs. And last year in the finals, he was held three times under 18. I think Jordan has 4 games in his playoff career of less than 20 and they were early in his career. One time he had 18, following the 49 and 63 point performance. Jordan's numbers just rise.

This has already been debunked, Lebron's career ppg or higher in the playoffs

LOL, Rodman was a HoF.

Rodman had yet to take off in 91'. It was his first full season starting and he put up 8ppg and 12.5rpg. Very good numbers, but not HOF numbers. Next year (at this point Isiah and Lambieer were done) Rodman put up his first of seven consecutive seasons of 14.9 rpg or better (18.7 to be exact).

And Lambieer and Aguire and Detroit were still battering Jordan, even if we accept your argument. They were still collapsing the lane, still had Isaih and Dumars and so on. They won two straight finals making constant improvement in their records. Jordan and Pippen (most under-rated player and greatest tandem ever) beat them plain and square. You can't even compare the two era's. It's ridiculous.

Constant improvements in their records? In 1989, they won 63 games, In 1990, they won 59 games, in 1991, they won 50 games, how is that constant improvement? And Aguire didn't batter anyone, let alone Jordan and all of Bill Lambieer's number dropped/

As far as Payton, I don't seriously know what league you were watching. 1996 was Gary Payton's peak in terms of overall performance. He had 231 steals. In fact, it was Payton that Karl shifted to Jordan in game 3, which made Jordan put up his lowest numbers ever in the finals, averaging around 26-27. That was also the finals his father was murdered so that also played into it. Payton that year had his best shooting percentage ever and one of his upper scoring games. That team was stacked. And please don't compare Griffith to Kemp, especially defensively. And Schremph was a three time all-star and phenomenal.

.....So much to correct, for starters Jordan's dad died AFTER the 1993 finals against the suns....not the sonics. And how was 1996 Payton's peak? The next season he scored more points, 2 seasons after that he scored more points and dished more assists. Each of the next 6 seasons he grabbed more rebounds.
And that Sonics team was stacked? Is that really the word you want to go with?