NBA Playoffs thread

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Miami has a good team for the East but they are not all that good of a team IMO. They don't play very good defense and that was exposed time after time in this series. I think that this San Antonio team was better and I think that it plays well together but I don't think it's a great team either. Just a good one. I think there were 3, maybe 4 teams in the West that could have beaten Miami. JMO

Wow!

You don't think that San Antonio didn't put a great team out there this season?

Just Wow ABQ!

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
While there is a somewhat mocking undertone when someone utters the "next man up" phrase for the Cowboys, for the Spurs it is decidedly the case. This consistent play for what? 15 years? Is truly due to the "next man up" principle.

And while one or two or maybe all three of the elder statemen of the Spurs may hang it up, honestly I don't think any of them will.

In addition how many ring-less free agents would love to be part of that system? I bet there's many who would take a San Antonio discount to be part of that team.

That works until you lose Duncan. Once he goes, that team is in trouble because not only is Duncan very good and the leader of this team, he's also a key to San Antonio's financial structure with the cap. He playes for less then 10 Million a Season. You are never going to get another big man, who can fill his shoes, to play for that kind of money. You pay more, you have to lose some players and that weakens the team.

I don't really think the next man up is going to work in the case of Duncan.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Wow!

You don't think that San Antonio didn't put a great team out there this season?

Just Wow ABQ!

No. I think they were very good but not Great. West had several really good teams this year but not any one Great team. The East had nothing really to speak of. They were pretty much terrible this year.

JMO

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That works until you lose Duncan. Once he goes, that team is in trouble because not only is Duncan very good and the leader of this team, he's also a key to San Antonio's financial structure with the cap. He playes for less then 10 Million a Season. You are never going to get another big man, who can fill his shoes, to play for that kind of money. You pay more, you have to lose some players and that weakens the team.

I don't really think the next man up is going to work in the case of Duncan.

I think the kid that won the Finals MVP award is going to do a nice job keeping that team competitive.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No. I think they were very good but not Great. West had several really good teams this year but not any one Great team. The East had nothing really to speak of. They were pretty much terrible this year.

JMO

I respectfully disagree. :)

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
the hypocrisy is strong with this one!

GO SPURS GO!!!

That is funny right there. All quiet here after Game 2 but now you all are back.

Personally I dont care enough about basketball to really care who won. I dont get all the Lebron hate. But it was funny how quiet it was in this thread after Game 2 - no denying that.

The Spurs looked really good and the Heat did not.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
The Spurs are a great team and have been great for over a decade.

The thing I like about the Spurs is they do it with execution on offense and defense, instead of relying on "Superstars". And that is attributed to Gregg Popovich.

Imagine how good the Heat could be if they were coached by Popovich.

cowboys1981

Reaction score
It was a great series from a great organization top to bottom. Every win was a blow out and Miami didn't even get to 100 throughout series.

The Spurs played the game the way it wss supposed to be played. I have been blessed as a fan to have seen this organization win 5 titles in the manner in which they have.

I will enjoy this win and not even worry about nect season right now

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I respectfully disagree. :)

As do I and I have watched a ton of basketball for nearly 30 years.
That team was truly amazing.
Maybe not a '96 Bulls, or '85 Lakers (that would be a fun match-up, huh?), but pretty close.

But I too respect your opinion to the contrary ABQ.

I'm just appreciative I got to witness another Championship won by my favorite team that has felt like family since 1987.
How many teams even have one, much less five championships- yet being one in of the least desirable "destinations" in the entire NBA?

Congratulations Spurs. I had a feeling when Pop came back to the organization 18 years ago and ousted that snappy-dressed coach I knew wasn't going to win the team anything that this was going to be a good thing.
Definitely not THIS good, but I guess I'll just have to take it.

And nobody is retiring. The only player they may lose is Mills and even that is not a given. They also have more overseas talent ripening as we speak to inject their own infusion of young talent to be molded into "The System".
Amazing work by the best sport's franchise in today's world.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As do I and I have watched a ton of basketball for nearly 30 years.
That team was truly amazing.
Maybe not a '96 Bulls, or '85 Lakers (that would be a fun match-up, huh?), but pretty close.

But I too respect your opinion to the contrary ABQ.

I'm just appreciative I got to witness another Championship won by my favorite team that has felt like family since 1987.
How many teams even have one, much less five championships- yet being one in of the least desirable "destinations" in the entire NBA?

Congratulations Spurs. I had a feeling when Pop came back to the organization 18 years ago and ousted that snappy-dressed coach I knew wasn't going to win the team anything that this was going to be a good thing.
Definitely not THIS good, but I guess I'll just have to take it.

And nobody is retiring. The only player they may lose is Mills and even that is not a given. They also have more overseas talent ripening as we speak to inject their own infusion of young talent to be molded into "The System".
Amazing work by the best sport's franchise in today's world.

This is why this team is going to be successful for several more seasons (some stats pilfered from another site)...

12 DIFFERENT players on the Spurs that appeared in 50 or more games this yr averaged 10 min’s or MORE per game.
NO player averaged 30 min’s per game.

Here is how the Spurs players scoring went from top to middle of the roster…

16.7 pts a game – that was the HIGHEST scorer on the Spurs this season
9.1 not typo – two different guys averaged this same amount

Top min’s per game of top half of their roster

That is 8 players averaging over 20 min’s a game. The team LEADER in min’s per game only played 7 something more min’s per game than the 8th place man in min’s per game on the team.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
An "upset" would denote that the inferior team beat the superior team.

Going into the series if anything I think the Spurs were the ever so slight favorites.

Lol I wasn't looking to drill down that deep.

I just meant... Many thought heat would three-peat is all... I thought so too.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like LeBron. But he is no Jordan apparently. Duncan is a good guy. All class.

5 titles now... Spread out over 15 years? Wish we had that :)

You know what I would like?

Is some consistency from the organization.

Jerry's worst fault is the habitual... "Willing to listen to anyone" syndrome.

That has hurt the Cowboys more than anything.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
He held Lebron under 20 points three times during the finals. This wasn't a fluke. Lebron is not the greatest one-on-one player in the NBA, he is the best all-around player.

Gotta ask....who is the best one on one player in the NBA?