NBA Season (18-19)

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
I haven't followed the NBA in like a week or two, but what the heck is going on in the West? All of a sudden, the Lakers are a game out of 1st and every team in the West (besides the Suns) is within 4 games of each other.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I haven't followed the NBA in like a week or two, but what the heck is going on in the West? All of a sudden, the Lakers are a game out of 1st and every team in the West (besides the Suns) is within 4 games of each other.
At this point its always hard to tell. With the exception of the Lakers, I expect things to trend back the the norm for the most past.

The Lakers are interesting in that there is no norm for them at this point. Nothing to suggest this is a 40, 50, or 60 win team. We gotta let it play out

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Kinda crazy but really I'm mostly excited about how good Luka is.
Man that kid can ball.
The fact they are competitive makes it watchable too. I can't watch 20 win teams.
Luka is looking like a legit franchise player. Takes some pressure of off DSJ to be THE guy.

I think you guys should at least be in the chase for a playoff seed. Even if you dont, you should be able to attract some DAJ type FA's in the offseason that will help get the kids into the playoffs

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Luka is looking like a legit franchise player. Takes some pressure of off DSJ to be THE guy.

I think you guys should at least be in the chase for a playoff seed. Even if you dont, you should be able to attract some DAJ type FA's in the offseason that will help get the kids into the playoffs
Mavs and lots of WC teams should be aiming at window 2-3 years away when LeBron and GSW are past expiration dates.
Gaining some playoff experience now would be a huge win. Playoffs are just a different level of basketball.
But Mavs would need some luck with injuries the rest of the way to sneak into playoffs.

DAL has had a great reputation for amenities since Cuban took over and a pass first star really will help in FA.
Carlisle is a really good coach as well. Top 5 for sure. So FA should be fun as well.

The dream in DAL as in most places is Giannis.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
HP0tSmV.jpg

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
Mavericks vs Lakers
Friday, Nov. 30, 2018 • 10:30 PM ET
Staples Center • Los Angeles, CA
Local TV: FSSW-DAL, SPECSN
Radio: 710 AM ESPN / 1330 AM ESPN DEPORTES

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Mavericks vs Lakers
Friday, Nov. 30, 2018 • 10:30 PM ET
Staples Center • Los Angeles, CA
Local TV: FSSW-DAL, SPECSN
Radio: 710 AM ESPN / 1330 AM ESPN DEPORTES
Was an ugly game for my Mavs and especially Luka.

As an outside observer I'd keep Kuz and Ingram on the Lakers and move the other youngsters if they have real value.
I still think a Wall or Beal type in LAL would make that team really go.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score

As an outside observer I'd keep Kuz and Ingram on the Lakers and move the other youngsters if they have real value.
Ingram makes me wonder. I don't know what he is going to become. I am hoping he can be a solid #1 someday, or even a great #2, but i just don't know. With Kuz it's easier to see what he is and what he is going to be, that makes it a simpler process to know who and what goes where and why with Kuz. Somedays Ingram looks like he shouldn't even be a starter and other days he looks like he will be a #2.

As far as Ball goes, that jumper might never become worth anything, maybe trading him would be best, but trading players is a tricky business, if the Lakers pursue a trade the value will drop. The Lakers need someone to come to them for Ball otherwise i would rather just keep him. Got to have the high ground when trading or more often than not it will be a bad deal.

Lakers are making progress and we are finally out of the gutter, not sure how far out, be we are out.

Luka has skills, hope he becomes a star one day soon.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Ive just discovered that Robert Williams III had given the nickname " Time Lord" shortly after being late a couple times after being draft. Im just giddy over this.

Last night Williams got a DNP even after get playing time because it was less than 1 full second. I did not know either was actually possible. Maybe he truely is the " Time Lord"

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score

Need cap space for offaseason. Keep the young guys and use xap space for Durant or Klay Thompson, etc.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Need cap space for offaseason. Keep the young guys and use xap space for Durant or Klay Thompson, etc.
That plan has worked once in 5 seasons for the Lakers.
I'd get the guy I can now, not court dudes I am not sure I have a shot at.

The only way that really makes sense is if Magic already knows someone is coming.
If not, then like PG13 or LeBron his first two trips through FA it could leave that team holding the bag.

Again, there is a penalty to pay in team building for operating far under the cap.

You have ~41M is cap space BUT ~44M in cap holds.
Kentavious Caldwell-Pope 26 SG
$15,600,000
Rajon Rondo 33 PG
$10,800,000
Lance Stephenson 28 SG Non-Bird $5,338,800
Michael Beasley 30 SF
$4,200,000
Ivica Zubac 22 C
$1,931,189
Tyson Chandler 36 C Non-Bird $1,618,486
JaVale McGee 31 C
$1,588,231

Plus you eat basically 1M per slot.

That's a lot of dudes to let walk for zero in return to bid one max slot.

And as good as Klay and KD are, the entire squad would be wings.
Not really ideal team building at all.
PG(limit turnovers; hit free throws) and OC(rebounding and rim protection) are still critical positions.

If you could move say KCP, Lonzo, a future 1st now you ensure a guy you want, free up Lonzo's cap hit and the R1 cap hit for a kid who likely won't touch the floor.

If Klay or KD are dead set on being Lakers you don't have to operate under the cap for 2 full years to get them.
You can trade guys at any point. Hard to win if you end up in free agency signing Beasley's and Stephenson types again.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Great to see the Mavs fight (DSJ's) tooth n nail to beat the #1 team in the West, without Luka. Ppl forget about HB, but he's putting up some big boi points here lately.

I see Mavs as a playoff team because their defense and top rated bench.

Sweet year for Dallas fans with rookies Luka n Leighton.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
That plan has worked once in 5 seasons for the Lakers.
I'd get the guy I can now, not court dudes I am not sure I have a shot at.

The only way that really makes sense is if Magic already knows someone is coming.
If not, then like PG13 or LeBron his first two trips through FA it could leave that team holding the bag.

Again, there is a penalty to pay in team building for operating far under the cap.

You have ~41M is cap space BUT ~44M in cap holds.
Kentavious Caldwell-Pope 26 SG
$15,600,000
Rajon Rondo 33 PG
$10,800,000
Lance Stephenson 28 SG Non-Bird $5,338,800
Michael Beasley 30 SF
$4,200,000
Ivica Zubac 22 C
$1,931,189
Tyson Chandler 36 C Non-Bird $1,618,486
JaVale McGee 31 C
$1,588,231

Plus you eat basically 1M per slot.

That's a lot of dudes to let walk for zero in return to bid one max slot.

And as good as Klay and KD are, the entire squad would be wings.
Not really ideal team building at all.
PG(limit turnovers; hit free throws) and OC(rebounding and rim protection) are still critical positions.

If you could move say KCP, Lonzo, a future 1st now you ensure a guy you want, free up Lonzo's cap hit and the R1 cap hit for a kid who likely won't touch the floor.

If Klay or KD are dead set on being Lakers you don't have to operate under the cap for 2 full years to get them.
You can trade guys at any point. Hard to win if you end up in free agency signing Beasley's and Stephenson types again.
I think Lebron could make Beal a super star. Beal is also only 25.

IIRC he is still a baby max

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I think Lebron could make Beal a super star. Beal is also only 25.

IIRC he is still a baby max
I think Beal is a better fit than Klay or KD.

He is young but grown. He isn't a 20 year old college kid and he ain't Rondo(32).
He doesn't turn the ball over much at all.
He can guard smaller players which helps LA who can use Ingram/LeBron at Point Forward but need to guard quick wings too.
And he is simply a younger, better ball handler than Klay who might flounder a bit when removed from the great shooting/spacing of the GSW.

You also get rid of the Ball sideshow which is currently hushed but ever present lying under the surface if Lonzo has any real power in an organization.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think Beal is a better fit than Klay or KD.

He is young but grown. He isn't a 20 year old college kid and he ain't Rondo(32).
He doesn't turn the ball over much at all.
He can guard smaller players which helps LA who can use Ingram/LeBron at Point Forward but need to guard quick wings too.
And he is simply a younger, better ball handler than Klay who might flounder a bit when removed from the great shooting/spacing of the GSW.

You also get rid of the Ball sideshow which is currently hushed but ever present lying under the surface if Lonzo has any real power in an organization.
Id start to worry about the Lakers if they added Beal. With a ammo to make another move later a trio consisting of James, Beal, and Mystery All Star could be the best core James has had. Beal and Kemba with James would very very scary

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Id start to worry about the Lakers if they added Beal. With a ammo to make another move later a trio consisting of James, Beal, and Mystery All Star could be the best core James has had. Beal and Kemba with James would very very scary
exactly. remove this insane keep the powder dry mantra and go all in?
LAL could be serious business.
and when your franchise player is 33 and has played a gazillion NBA minutes I'm not playing for tomorrow; much less to win in March 2020.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
And while a 2018-2019 James/Beal team wont win it all, I think they would go down swinging against GS or Houston