NBA Season: 2020/2021

rags

Reaction score
It'll be interesting to see how Kidd works out with the Mavs. Hope he does well.

I'm not expecting much. As a HC, his career W-L record is just under .500.

I think I would have preferred Steve Nash instead.

kskboys

Reaction score

Who was he coaching and how much talent did he have? How many seasons? A shorter sample of games often does not give a true picture of how he did.

Landry, as an example, didn't sniff a winning record for his first 5 years as a HC:

0-11-1
4-9-1
5-8-1
4-10
5-8-1
7-7

uvaballa

Reaction score

If Steve can’t win with Durant and company he’s definitely not winning with that Mavs team.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Who was he coaching and how much talent did he have? How many seasons? A shorter sample of games often does not give a true picture of how he did.

Landry, as an example, didn't sniff a winning record for his first 5 years as a HC:

0-11-1
4-9-1
5-8-1
4-10
5-8-1
7-7

Kidd's first season was with the Brooklyn Nets in 2013-2014, what's notable is he *played and started* for the Knicks in 2012-2013, when they won 54 games. He had no coaching experience and this was the last hurrah team that had Garnett and Pierce...the one that traded all of their draft capital for two players at the end of their career. They made the playoffs as expected and lost to the Heat in 4 games (Heat lost to Spurs in finals).

After that season, Kidd was dealt to Milwaukee for the 2014-2015 season. He obviously had no interest staying in Brooklyn given the lengthy rebuild they had ahead of them and given how everything played out, it would have been foolish to stay. As far as Milwaukee goes, Giannis was entering his second season and Khris Middleton entering his third. Both were *far* from all star players at this point but they went from 15 wins to 41 and made the playoffs under Kidd.

In 2015-2016, the team took a step back and only won 33 games, but Giannis and Middleton took a steps forward individually.

In 2016-17 they rebounded, and won 42 despite Middleton playing in only 29 games and Giannis made the All-Star team. After the season, GM John Hammond was fired. Pretty much all of their drafts were trash after taking Giannis, but when you look at who was actually available, you're tempted to give him a pass. They did manage to get Norman Powell, but dealt him on draft night for Greivis Vasquez.

2017-18 would be Kidd's final year in Milwaukee. He was fired in January while the team was 23-22. The team finished the season 21-16 under Joe Prunty as the interim coach before hiring Mike Budenholzer as the head coach in 2018-2019.

Milwaukee certainly improved as a regular season team, winning 60 games in 2018-19 and then 56 games in the COVID shortened season of 2019-20 and finally 46 games in another shortened season.

kskboys

Reaction score
Kidd's first season was with the Brooklyn Nets in 2013-2014, what's notable is he *played and started* for the Knicks in 2012-2013, when they won 54 games. He had no coaching experience and this was the last hurrah team that had Garnett and Pierce...the one that traded all of their draft capital for two players at the end of their career. They made the playoffs as expected and lost to the Heat in 4 games (Heat lost to Spurs in finals).

After that season, Kidd was dealt to Milwaukee for the 2014-2015 season. He obviously had no interest staying in Brooklyn given the lengthy rebuild they had ahead of them and given how everything played out, it would have been foolish to stay. As far as Milwaukee goes, Giannis was entering his second season and Khris Middleton entering his third. Both were *far* from all star players at this point but they went from 15 wins to 41 and made the playoffs under Kidd.

In 2015-2016, the team took a step back and only won 33 games, but Giannis and Middleton took a steps forward individually.

In 2016-17 they rebounded, and won 42 despite Middleton playing in only 29 games and Giannis made the All-Star team. After the season, GM John Hammond was fired. Pretty much all of their drafts were trash after taking Giannis, but when you look at who was actually available, you're tempted to give him a pass. They did manage to get Norman Powell, but dealt him on draft night for Greivis Vasquez.

2017-18 would be Kidd's final year in Milwaukee. He was fired in January while the team was 23-22. The team finished the season 21-16 under Joe Prunty as the interim coach before hiring Mike Budenholzer as the head coach in 2018-2019.

Milwaukee certainly improved as a regular season team, winning 60 games in 2018-19 and then 56 games in the COVID shortened season of 2019-20 and finally 46 games in another shortened season.
Doesn't sound as if there's enough there to judge him as a HC at present.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Trae out there cooking. No way the Hawks would give him up for any other young player.
lol the definition of cap.
Not sure why people love to post just purely goofy stuff.

Trae Young is one of the most entertaining players in the entire league to watch. And in this era of spacing/shotmaking he brings that in spades.
But his limitations remove him from any top of league considerations.
Trae Young has never made All NBA.

Jayson Tatum has.
Luka has made 1st team All-NBA the last two seasons.

This list has him the 9th best player under 25.
https://hoopshype.com/lists/nba-rankings-2020-21-top-25-players-under-age-25/

I think he has risen to probably about 5 now with a great season and playoff run
But he's definitely not first.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
JKidd will be intriguing for many reasons in Dallas.

Negatives:
His head coaching history isn't great. He didn't win enough and also wore on his players.
Had domestic violence convictions which are troubling for the Org who has had allegations of harassment and such run rampant.
Can be extremely stubborn and just mean much like the guy he replaces.

Positives:
Most recently was asst coaching Luka's idol LeBron. This is huge for both winning over Luka but also for ideas on how to use a 6'9" wide-bodied PG on both offense and defense.
Frank Vogel is a great coach for him to learn X's and O's from.
Dallas ties run deep to him being the one-time face of the franchise coming out of Cal to returning and running the Point for the title.
Should push the ball more. Kidd comes from a long history of pushing the ball for easy baskets.
Was Dame's stated preference for Coach at one point and combining his naming in Dallas with Nico Harrison following Dame plus Dame making his pressure public those are a few positive smoke signs in Dallas' seemingly never ending chase for a 2nd superstar.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Would be interesting to see the trade machinations on a monster but hilarious 4 team shake it all up deal with:
Dallas giving up KP and filler
Philly giving up Simmons and filler
Portland giving up Dame
Brooklyn giving up Joe Harris and Spencer Dinwiddle plus some filler.

I do think all 4 teams may need to make a move though maybe not with those names.

uvaballa

Reaction score
lol the definition of cap.
Not sure why people love to post just purely goofy stuff.

Trae Young is one of the most entertaining players in the entire league to watch. And in this era of spacing/shotmaking he brings that in spades.
But his limitations remove him from any top of league considerations.
Trae Young has never made All NBA.

Jayson Tatum has.
Luka has made 1st team All-NBA the last two seasons.

This list has him the 9th best player under 25.
https://hoopshype.com/lists/nba-rankings-2020-21-top-25-players-under-age-25/

I think he has risen to probably about 5 now with a great season and playoff run
But he's definitely not first.
I guarantee you if Dallas offered Luka for Trae right now the Hawks would decline it. It’s not about rankings which are subjected as hell. It’s about what a player brings to your team and city.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
I keep waiting and rooting for someone to eliminate those #@*% LA Clippers since they eliminated the Mavs,
but it's just not happening. :banghead::mad:

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I have a hard time seeing them beating Phoenix without Kawhi.
yea Kawhi loss was too much to overcome and would be for essentially any team.
Now we shift East and see same issue with Giannis and Trae.
Even tho ATL was up big minus Trae over series whichever team has it's star back likely advance.
If neither do in coming weeks they'll get flat steam-rolled in Finals.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
yea Kawhi loss was too much to overcome and would be for essentially any team.
Now we shift East and see same issue with Giannis and Trae.
Even tho ATL was up big minus Trae over series whichever team has it's star back likely advance.
If neither do in coming weeks they'll get flat steam-rolled in Finals.
If Milwaukee goes to the Finals, I dont think I have seen a team trip over themselves into the Finals quite as much as they have

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
If Milwaukee goes to the Finals, I dont think I have seen a team trip over themselves into the Finals quite as much as they have
This has arguably been the oddest playoffs I've witnessed.
Even weirder than the Disney ball last year where the Lakers defense and clutch scoring was just too much for everyone.

MIL has looked ragged but they are an experienced team who's been here recently which might just be the difference in them winning the whole thing.
BUT if they really do not have Giannis the rest of the year then I don't think they get more than 1 win versus PHX(who wouldn't have beaten LAC had Kawhi been available imho).

As a Mavs fan I'm pretty sick over it because had they simply won game 3 in Dallas they might have won the title. This playoffs has been so ragged it is very possible.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This has arguably been the oddest playoffs I've witnessed.
Even weirder than the Disney ball last year where the Lakers defense and clutch scoring was just too much for everyone.

MIL has looked ragged but they are an experienced team who's been here recently which might just be the difference in them winning the whole thing.
BUT if they really do not have Giannis the rest of the year then I don't think they get more than 1 win versus PHX(who wouldn't have beaten LAC had Kawhi been available imho).

As a Mavs fan I'm pretty sick over it because had they simply won game 3 in Dallas they might have won the title. This playoffs has been so ragged it is very possible.
Just think, if it's Phx VS. Atlanta, then neither of the Finals teams would have been in the playoffs last year. Don't know if that has ever happened. 2008 Finals is the closest I can think of where the Celtics didnt make it in 2007 and the Lakers were a 7th seed

I think the Lakers most likely would have won last year's Finals anyways

Flamma

Reaction score
Just think, if it's Phx VS. Atlanta, then neither of the Finals teams would have been in the playoffs last year. Don't know if that has ever happened. 2008 Finals is the closest I can think of where the Celtics didnt make it in 2007 and the Lakers were a 7th seed

I think the Lakers most likely would have won last year's Finals anyways

That's a good point. It's happened in the NFL a few times, but you'd have to search to find two teams that didn't make the playoffs the year before in the NBA finals the year later.