NBA Season 23-24

Robbieac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The Spurs started the international movement with Duncan, Parker and Ginobili as well as some key role players.
You don’t know what “international” means do you?

Duncan grew up in the US Virgin Islands (a territory of the US, not international).
He then went to Wake Forest for 4 years (again in the US, not international).

So now the Spurs are down to Parker and Ginobili.
Before those guys were in the league, there was Dikembe Mutombo, Hakeem Olajuwan, Dirk Nowitzki, and a score of other international players in the NBA.

So tell me again how the Spurs “started” the international movement?

Robbieac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You don’t know what “international” means do you?

Duncan grew up in the US Virgin Islands (a territory of the US, not international). He was a US citizen by birth (not an international).
He then went to Wake Forest for 4 years (again in the US, not international).

So now the Spurs are down to Parker and Ginobili.
Before those guys were in the league, there was Dikembe Mutombo, Hakeem Olajuwan, Dirk Nowitzki, and a score of other international players in the NBA.

So tell me again how the Spurs “started” the international movement?

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The Spurs started the international movement with Duncan, Parker and Ginobili as well as some key role players.
This is a very unserious statement.
Don and Donnie Nelson were heavily invested in Europe long before they even had Dirk and Nash.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Do your research. It all started with Pop.
This is the dumbest post on this board in months and that says a lot.

You do not have to be willfully goofy dude.
https://www.si.com/nba/2018/01/17/n...ciulionis-soviet-union-vlade-divac-don-nelson

Plenty of info out there if you open your eyes.

Pop is one of the very best Coaches of all-time.
He does not need you to lie for him.
Euros were here in force before Pop ever added any of the Spurs big 3.
It started in the 80s with Don and Donnie Nelson.
And of course, Pop was an asst for Don Nelson.

Donnie Nelson actually was an asst coach in the Olympics for Lithuania twice before Duncan was ever even drafted by the Spurs. And he started scouting guys back when it was USSR.
Don added Sarunas in 1989. They drafted Dirk in 1994 and of course Donnie was a terrible GM but he did draft Luka.

Pop won his first title in 1998 with the Twin Towers but ZERO international players. Duncan was the only link to anything non traditional. Robinson was Captain America, Sean Elliot, Avery Johnson...
He added Manu in 2002. Parker came even later.

Pop was a military school graduate. He was seriously considering CIA work. No one in Russia was trusting Pop.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
So...draft lottery was today

I know there are a lot of Spurs fans here and I'm not a Detroit fan but I'm curious who says no to this deal

Spurs 4th pick, Spurs 8th pick (from TOR), 2025 unprotected FRP for Cade Cunningham

I just think Detroit is getting close to losing him for nothing...he's a restricted FA after next season and if he signs a one year deal, they're in trouble

Jayinem

Reaction score
So...draft lottery was today

I know there are a lot of Spurs fans here and I'm not a Detroit fan but I'm curious who says no to this deal

Spurs 4th pick, Spurs 8th pick (from TOR), 2025 unprotected FRP for Cade Cunningham

I just think Detroit is getting close to losing him for nothing...he's a restricted FA after next season and if he signs a one year deal, they're in trouble
Unless someone is a bust no one leaves the team that drafted them before their first contract extension, especially not when it's a max. I doubt Detroit is ready to give up on him, they'd probably rather try to build around him.

No player ever signs a one year deal when they can sign for 5 years max money. What if they got a career threatening injury and just lost 200 million dollars?

Players leave teams when they're 27 or 28, not 22.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
This is the dumbest post on this board in months and that says a lot.

You do not have to be willfully goofy dude.
https://www.si.com/nba/2018/01/17/n...ciulionis-soviet-union-vlade-divac-don-nelson

Plenty of info out there if you open your eyes.

Pop is one of the very best Coaches of all-time.
He does not need you to lie for him.
Euros were here in force before Pop ever added any of the Spurs big 3.
It started in the 80s with Don and Donnie Nelson.
And of course, Pop was an asst for Don Nelson.

Donnie Nelson actually was an asst coach in the Olympics for Lithuania twice before Duncan was ever even drafted by the Spurs. And he started scouting guys back when it was USSR.
Don added Sarunas in 1989. They drafted Dirk in 1994 and of course Donnie was a terrible GM but he did draft Luka.

Pop won his first title in 1998 with the Twin Towers but ZERO international players. Duncan was the only link to anything non traditional. Robinson was Captain America, Sean Elliot, Avery Johnson...
He added Manu in 2002. Parker came even later.

Pop was a military school graduate. He was seriously considering CIA work. No one in Russia was trusting Pop.
Pop made drafting foreign players a thing. There’s no need for the insults. It’s ok to disagree.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Spurs get the 4th and 8th pick in next months draft! Can’t wait for the new season in October.

quickccc

Reaction score
Spurs get the 4th and 8th pick in next months draft! Can’t wait for the new season in October.
Detroit get snubbed ..yet again !!

Spurs have top 4 pick ..and an 8th overall pick ...seems clear the NBA want Spurs back to NBA ranks again :confused:

Jayinem

Reaction score

Spurs have top 4 pick ..and an 8th overall pick ...seems clear the NBA want Spurs back to NBA ranks again :confused:
They're not rigging anything for the Spurs, the lowest rated NBA Finals were with the Spurs in them other than when they faced Lebron and the Heat and the bubble where no one watched because they were scared of covid or something.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Unless someone is a bust no one leaves the team that drafted them before their first contract extension, especially not when it's a max. I doubt Detroit is ready to give up on him, they'd probably rather try to build around him.

No player ever signs a one year deal when they can sign for 5 years max money. What if they got a career threatening injury and just lost 200 million dollars?

Players leave teams when they're 27 or 28, not 22.
pretty sure Porzingis did because he wanted out

just saying, if i'm Cunningham i don't sign long term

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
People are showing you that he didnt and you completely ignoring it.

Next you are going to tell us Pop popularized the 3 pointer.

Then Pop invented the 3 pointer

Then Pop invented basketball
No he didn’t event any of that.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

Karma. Spurs do basketball the right way and the basketball Gods approve.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Indiana not laying down for NY. Granted no OG

Kind of wild they put up 120 with only one guy going over 20, and that was Haliburton with 20 on the nose

Jayinem

Reaction score
pretty sure Porzingis did because he wanted out

just saying, if i'm Cunningham i don't sign long term
That's one example but 99.99% of the time it doesn't happen so why even bother? It's probably not happening.

People get too invested in their own hypothetical scenarios.