NCAA 2018 College Football

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Agreed but their talent is considerably better than at UH. Of course, UT plays bigger schools as well. Once Herman gets his type of players for his scheme, UT will compete with the best IMO.
UT has been scheduling stupidly IMHO.
They are scheduling like they are Bama but they aren't. They should be playing Bama's easy schedule, lol.

9 B12 games, plus TWO more P5 games is insane.
Had they played a cupcake week 1 they'd be undefeated right now and ranked top 10.

coogrfan

Reaction score
Talent has been an issue.

Sorry, not buying it.

Have the Horns recent recruiting classes been overrated by the scouting services? Probably. Are they at a talent disadvantage vs 95% of the schools they face? No. Should UT lose to a school like Maryland in back to back seasons? Hell no.

The plain fact is that, apart from a 10 year stretch under Mack Brown, the Horns have been underperforming since Darrel Royal retired. A lot of that is due to the culture of entitlement that exists at Texas. I believe Herman will change that, but it's going to take time.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Sorry, not buying it.

Have the Horns recent recruiting classes been overrated by the scouting services? Probably. Are they at a talent disadvantage vs 95% of the schools they face? No. Should UT lose to a school like Maryland in back to back seasons? Hell no.

The plain fact is that, apart from a 10 year stretch under Mack Brown, the Horns have been underperforming since Darrel Royal retired. A lot of that is due to the culture of entitlement that exists at Texas. I believe Herman will change that, but it's going to take time.

The scheduling of Maryland, IMO, was a failing by the Texas Staff. I don't have a problem playing Maryland. I do have a problem playing Maryland's offense right out of the shoot, on the road, which means playing an early game and having to travel back to the east coast. To me, those things, more then anything accounted for both of those losses. I feel like if both teams played now, Texas would beat Maryland. Felt the same last year. Texas needs to figure that out, and not just with Maryland. This is about scheduling smart and to be honest, that's not on Herman, per say. Those games were set up before he ever got the job. Just not smart IMO.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Sorry, not buying it.

This isn't hard.
There are have been 3 UT players drafted in 3 seasons.
That's it.
There have been 7 Houston Cougars drafted........................................

The QB position has not been manned by a top half the Big 12 QB.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The scheduling of Maryland, IMO, was a failing by the Texas Staff. I don't have a problem playing Maryland. I do have a problem playing Maryland's offense right out of the shoot, on the road, which means playing an early game and having to travel back to the east coast. To me, those things, more then anything accounted for both of those losses. I feel like if both teams played now, Texas would beat Maryland. Felt the same last year. Texas needs to figure that out, and not just with Maryland. This is about scheduling smart and to be honest, that's not on Herman, per say. Those games were set up before he ever got the job. Just not smart IMO.
Yes. The issue with Maryland is that it was week 1 and that it was an 11th P5 game which is insane and I believe unique.

That's some seriously cocky scheduling from a team that has been winning 6-7 games a year.

UT is a helmet school and if they are simply smart they will be ranked top 15 every year at some point by virtue of overrating of all helmet schools.
Tossing thta away t play 11 P5 game sis CRAZY bad for business and the Big 12 as a whole.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Yes. The issue with Maryland is that it was week 1 and that it was an 11th P5 game which is insane and I believe unique.

That's some seriously cocky scheduling from a team that has been winning 6-7 games a year.

UT is a helmet school and if they are simply smart they will be ranked top 15 every year at some point by virtue of overrating of all helmet schools.
Tossing thta away t play 11 P5 game sis CRAZY bad for business and the Big 12 as a whole.

100% correct, IMO, JT. Two years in a row, they did this. Just stupid IMO but it's done now. All I can do is hope that UT has learned a lesson here. Texas is on the road back IMO but they will never get there if they can't be smart in the things that they actually have control over. Hard enough to compete toe to toe with the Powerhouse schools in the Nation. Never going to be able to do that if we continue to systematically shoot our toes off before we ever get into the ring.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
100% correct, IMO, JT. Two years in a row, they did this. Just stupid IMO but it's done now. All I can do is hope that UT has learned a lesson here. Texas is on the road back IMO but they will never get there if they can't be smart in the things that they actually have control over. Hard enough to compete toe to toe with the Powerhouse schools in the Nation. Never going to be able to do that if we continue to systematically shoot our toes off before we ever get into the ring.
The SEC had 1 school in the top 25 for strength of schedule. ONE. LSU.
Scheduling hard games is for football dummies.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...sRemainingRank/order/false/key/20180825040000

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The SEC had 1 school in the top 25 for strength of schedule. ONE. LSU.
Scheduling hard games is for football dummies.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...sRemainingRank/order/false/key/20180825040000

I have to admit, I actually like to see schools schedule tough. I like to see good schools play each other but, you are right. The SEC does not schedule out of conference with tough games. There is no benefit to it under the current system if you are a top school. Heck, I don't even have a problem with Texas scheduling a school like Maryland. I think there is actually a little bit of sense to it in that you know you are going to see Tech and other schools in your own Conference that run high powered Offenses, such as the kind you see at Maryland. I just don't see the sense in scheduling that as the first game. Play a team that plays a little more traditional scheme. Something a lot of these young kids can get their feet wet with. JMO.

Texas has a tough None Conference schedule this year. Maryland, Tulsa and USC to start the season is not easy.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I have to admit, I actually like to see schools schedule tough. I like to see good schools play each other but, you are right. The SEC does not schedule out of conference with tough games. There is no benefit to it under the current system if you are a top school. Heck, I don't even have a problem with Texas scheduling a school like Maryland. I think there is actually a little bit of sense to it in that you know you are going to see Tech and other schools in your own Conference that run high powered Offenses, such as the kind you see at Maryland. I just don't see the sense in scheduling that as the first game. Play a team that plays a little more traditional scheme. Something a lot of these young kids can get their feet wet with. JMO.

Texas has a tough None Conference schedule this year. Maryland, Tulsa and USC to start the season is not easy.
This is an easy fix. There should be a standard number of P5 games scheduled.
Stop allowing SEC schools to schedule 9 and other schools to schedule 10 or 11.

Going 8-4 every year is pretty darn easy in the SEC East though people swear otherwise.
You get 4 free games. So you go .500 in conference and voila.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

Going 8-4 every year is pretty darn easy in the SEC East though people swear otherwise.

I agree but it's really not different then it has been in years past. I mean, the days of Power Rankings or Top Twenty-Five Rankings being designed to determine who the best team in the Country is, are long gone (assuming they ever really existed at all). These kinds of things are set up to feature Power Conferences, particularly the SEC, in order to promote Made For TV Championship Games. I mean, don't get me wrong, the SEC is usually the Conference who does have the best team in the Nation but that's because NCAA and TV set the SEC up for that and that allows them to recruit the best talent in the Country regularly. The game is rigged, that's just the truth of it IMO. Doesn't mean that the it's fixed because sometimes you can still get that team that is really, really good and that shows up and wins regardless but that's the exception, not the rule right? I mean, 7 NCs in 10 years all from the SEC. That is not a coincidence.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Texas-OU in just a few hours. Cut up the Pork Roast last night, the Wife cleaned the Chile and set the pods to soak. Have been soaking the pork in Red Chile since last night. Tonight, I will put it all in a crock pot and let it slow cook over night. Tomorrow, once it's done, we will put it all in tortillas and flash fry it in a fryer. Carne Adovada Chimichangas!

Got the Andouilli Sausage, got the red potatoes, leaks, onions, seasoning and the Olive Oil. Gonna cut up potatoes and Andouilli and fry them up. Gonna have Cajun Potatoes as well!

Not sure what the Boy will cook up and bring but regardless of how the game turns out, the food is going to be pretty good. Everybody, enjoy the College Football this weekend!

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Great game today; very entertaining.
OU defense is atrocious.
Still think WVA is B12s best team. Great balance.

The NCAA has always been rigged and it was supposed to get better with the college playoffs but it's as bad now as ever and might even be worse.
Fix is quite simple.

Make it an 8 team playoff and give the P5 conf winner's 5 seeds.
Give the best G5 team a spot and the highest ranked qualifiers the left over.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Was an entertaining game, I would not go so far as to say it was great. I agree with you, OU's Defense is horrific. Texas continues to lose focus in the 4th quarter and it's really only a matter of time before it bites them in the arse.

I don't know if WV is the best team in the Big 12 or not. They might be but they have to come to Austin so I guess we'll see.

jimmy40

Reaction score
Kentucky is horrible, Florida should be banned from football for losing to this team. Kentucky's qb may be the worst college qb I've ever seen.

jimmy40

Reaction score

helps to have 7-8 home games every year also, SEC has it figured out.

jimmy40

Reaction score
can't wait to hear how A&M/Kentucky was a SEC war when it was nothing but garbage football that both teams should be embarrassed about.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Kentucky is horrible, Florida should be banned from football for losing to this team. Kentucky's qb may be the worst college qb I've ever seen.
Yup that was brutal. Super brutal.
He would be 20 yards clear of a defender and take off running straight up and down at half speed like a high knees drill til he was tackled.
Truly looked as awkward as someone like Troy Aikman running.

Both those offenses were awful and playing simply not to turn the ball over.
Good punts were the goal.....