NCAA 2018 College Football

4th_and_short

Reaction score
Clemson is no where near as good as Bama.
The are 2nd based largely on reputation.
Have no one currently rated top 15 on the schedule. And they will play a team in ACCCG that has at least 3 losses.

It's a really down year in the ACC like most conferences.
I don't even think the SEC is that good, but everyone has fallen off to the point they are vastly superior.

You’re forgetting Syracuse. I only know that because my Irish play them next week at Yankee Stadium and it’ll be (hopefully) another win against a ranked opponent.

A lot of the conferences are muddled minus a select few that have gotten through unscathed. The P12 is a mess. The B10 outside of Michigan/OSU is a mess.

I agree with you about the SEC. The top teams are pretty good but it’s a steep drop after that.

4th_and_short

Reaction score
I'd go USF and Tulane personally.
Add New Orleans and Tampa for recruiting plus excellent places to visit for games.
Schools that would get massive boost from joining the conference and both would hurt the SEC a small bit.

I hadn’t even thought of those two. Good points about the markets. I’m not sure how you’d split those divisions though. North/South with Texas being more or less the border?

North division
WVU
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State
OU
Okie State

South Division
Texas
Texas Tech
TCU
Baylor
Tulane
South Florida

That could work

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I hadn’t even thought of those two. Good points about the markets. I’m not sure how you’d split those divisions though. North/South with Texas being more or less the border?

North division
WVU
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State
OU
Okie State

South Division
Texas
Texas Tech
TCU
Baylor
Tulane
South Florida

That could work
You do that to get 5 div games plus get 1 cross-section rivalry UT/OU; then something like Tech/OKST; WVU/USF(WVA recruits florida hard); KAN/TUL, BAY/KST, ISU/TCU
Plus rotate 2 other games each year opp division.
8 Conf Games plus 1 P5 game. 3 gimmes... entire conf records goes up.. see ACC, SEC.
EVERYONE'S wins look better because each school has 1 more win instead of a 50/50 9th conf game that adds 10 more losses to the conference.

The SEC rides this formula all the way to the bank.

4th_and_short

Reaction score
You do that to get 5 div games plus get 1 cross-section rivalry UT/OU; then something like Tech/OKST; WVU/USF(WVA recruits florida hard); KAN/TUL, BAY/KST, ISU/TCU
8 Conf Games plus 1 P5 game. 3 gimmes... entire conf records goes up.. see ACC, SEC.
EVERYONE'S wins look better because each school has 1 more win instead of a 50/50 9th conf game that adds 10 more losses to the conference.

Not a bad set up. The WVU/USF game brings back their Big East roots as well

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Clemson is no where near as good as Bama.
The are 2nd based largely on reputation.
Have no one currently rated top 15 on the schedule. And they will play a team in ACCCG that has at least 3 losses.

It's a really down year in the ACC like most conferences.
I don't even think the SEC is that good, but everyone has fallen off to the point they are vastly superior.

Reputation......an undefeated record.......3 1st round picks on the DL.......future #1 overall pick at QB........Clemson can give Bama a game.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The SEC is what is b/c of recruiting. Go look at the high school recruiting rankings. Most of the elite talent in the country resides in the southeast. Even OSU and Michigan have to come south to get team speed.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The SEC is what is b/c of recruiting. Go look at the high school recruiting rankings. Most of the elite talent in the country resides in the southeast. Even OSU and Michigan have to come south to get team speed.
Recruiting rankings are pretty much trash.
Always have been.
The top pick last draft had 0 P5 schollie offers and walked on TWICE.

Pat Mahomes was under the radar as a baseball player and might be the most talented QB in the NFL.
Look instead at the NFL for real talent.

There are only 34 NFL players from Mississippi, 60 from Alabama, 59 from Georgia. --start of 2018 season.

Talent is California, Texas, Florida all states which have more than those 3 states COMBINED.
Texas is producing the Lion's share of the best NFL QBs right now and also producing the top of the draft talent:

2018 order by NFL draft:
36 -- Florida
28 -- Texas
27 -- California
15 -- Virginia
13-- Penn, NC

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
All in all the SEC is what it is for a myriad of reasons.
Focus on football is massive, location near talent is helpful.
That includes huge competitive built in advantages because of scheduling.
The best teams do not face each other regularly if in opposite divisions.
They have only 8 conf games.
Losses to each other reduce their ranking nearly zero due to inflated reputations.
They are the only conference that totally defines their bowl schedule thus picking their match ups.

Example Georgia and Bama have only faced each other 3 times this decade. Only once in the regular season.
Under a B12 set up that'd have faced each other yearly PLUS the times in the conf champ game. INSANE!!!

SEC will not let TAMU face Texas (or Tech) in bowl games. They decide who gets assigned where and thus dictate the match ups.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Recruiting rankings are pretty much trash.
Always have been.
The top pick last draft had 0 P5 schollie offers and walked on TWICE.

Pat Mahomes was under the radar as a baseball player and might be the most talented QB in the NFL.
Look instead at the NFL for real talent.

There are only 34 NFL players from Mississippi, 60 from Alabama, 59 from Georgia. --start of 2018 season.

Talent is California, Texas, Florida all states which have more than those 3 states COMBINED.
Texas is producing the Lion's share of the best NFL QBs right now and also producing the top of the draft talent:

2018 order by NFL draft:
36 -- Florida
28 -- Texas
27 -- California
15 -- Virginia
13-- Penn, NC
The southeast (and surrounding) IS loaded though...especially per capita.
Florida, Georgia, Virginia, and the Carolinas, Louisiana,are pretty loaded with talent.

California and Texas are too...as they should be.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The southeast (and surrounding) IS loaded though...especially per capita.
Florida, Georgia, Virginia, and the Carolinas, Louisiana,are pretty loaded with talent.

California and Texas are too...as they should be.
Florida and Texas both rank top 10 in per capita AND overall NFL numbers.

Much of the deep south is top 10 in per capita but DC is actually number 1.

Deep South football culture is king and that lends itself well. Kids play football and run track.
Texas and Cali also produce the most basketball talent.

But again the SEC is set up to feast on all those things which feed into each other.

I have been a Tech fan since 1990 and saw how in the original Big 12 Tech won 8-9 games yearly with squads about equal to what they win 6-7 games with now.
They were always lower tier of top 25 under Leach but played 4 cupcakes and a couple bad B12 teams (Baylor, ISU back then).

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All in all the SEC is what it is for a myriad of reasons.
Focus on football is massive, location near talent is helpful.
That includes huge competitive built in advantages because of scheduling.
The best teams do not face each other regularly if in opposite divisions.
They have only 8 conf games.
Losses to each other reduce their ranking nearly zero due to inflated reputations.
They are the only conference that totally defines their bowl schedule thus picking their match ups.

Example Georgia and Bama have only faced each other 3 times this decade. Only once in the regular season.
Under a B12 set up that'd have faced each other yearly PLUS the times in the conf champ game. INSANE!!!

SEC will not let TAMU face Texas (or Tech) in bowl games. They decide who gets assigned where and thus dictate the match ups.

Thats a lot of hot air. The SEC is the best best conference top to bottom and its not even a debatable point. Been that way for 20 years. You can whine about this team not playing that team and so what? UGA wasn't any good 5 years ago. 7 years ago. 10 years ago. Who cares if they played Bama or not? Their is an SEC title game every year which pits 2 teams against each other that could easilly win the Big 12.

The recruiting rankings tell the whole story. Big 12 is the 4th best conference.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Thats a lot of hot air. The SEC is the best best conference top to bottom and its not even a debatable point. Been that way for 20 years. You can whine about this team not playing that team and so what? UGA wasn't any good 5 years ago. 7 years ago. 10 years ago. Who cares if they played Bama or not? Their is an SEC title game every year which pits 2 teams against each other that could easilly win the Big 12.

The recruiting rankings tell the whole story. Big 12 is the 4th best conference.
You post exactly like a 5 year child would, incapable of forming coherent thoughts that contain more than a basic cry for attention.
You must be in SEC country....

This isn't complicated.
The SEC scheduling is absolutely trash.
Far lesser than any other conference P5.
8 games, 1 P5 game for the "good" schools, 0 for the bad ones. Avoid teams in the opposite division for as much as 4 or 5 years at a time.

Alabama has the 57th ranked SOS... lol
You know how hard it is to schedule that bad that you end up ranked 57th after playing the SEC West??
But yup, The Citadel, Arkansas State and UL-Layfayette... it can be done......

That's a joke.

Nothing I said was anywhere near untrue.
You are busy mouth-breathing and thinking you have a point.

The SEC is the best conference this year and had been over the course of the last 15 years largely because they have stacked the deck to be so.
It started with paying players like Cam Newton and included the softest educational requirements for admissions so they were able to load up on JUCOs.
It has extended now to scheduling perks with 4 non-conf games including one additional schedule bye week over a trash can opponent late in the season.
Then they take and appoint their bowl teams to games versus match ups as they see fit.
Then the play Garrett ball and keep games close and voters move them up based on close losses to stacked teams.
Look at a team like TAMU that has lost 3 conf games and won a 4th in OT and lost it's only P5 non-conf game.
That team in is hanging around the top 25, LOL.

cowboyec

Reaction score
boy I like that Boise St program.
watched their come back vs Fresno St last night.
I'd like to see Bryan Harsin get consideration here if a change at HC is made.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
boy I like that Boise St program.
watched their come back vs Fresno St last night.
I'd like to see Bryan Harsin get consideration here if a change at HC is made.
I feel like Dino Babers or Steve Addazio would be excellent NFL head coaches.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Oklahoma has one of the worst defenses I've seen as a top seed team. They have no chance with that pathetic defense.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
I think the Final 4 teams are gonna be determined in the following order:

1) SEC champion - Bama vs Georgia game is already set for Dec 1. Winner is in.
2) Clemson if they win out. Could still get in if they finish with 1 loss but win the ACC.
3) Notre Dame if they win out. I don't think they'll get in with 1 loss.
4) Michigan or Ohio St if they finish with 1 loss and win the Big Ten. They play each other in 2 weeks.
5) Winner of Oklahoma vs West Virginia if the winner wins out.
6) Alabama if they lose to Georgia in the SEC championship and finish with 1 loss.
7) Washington State if they win out and win the Pac 12.
8) UCF if they win out and a bunch of other teams lose.

That's 10 teams that have a chance to get in.