NCAA Men's Basketball Thread

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
You still sticking to this? Big 12 has one team in the sweet 16 and the ACC has 5!
Gotta love you mental midgets.
Seriously crowing about what exactly? That 1 seeds beat 9 seeds to make the sweet 16? ROFL.
Goofball at it's finest.

The Big 12 lost exactly 1 game that was surprising, Iowa State.

Duke highest seed beaten: 9
UNC 9
FSU 12
Va 9
Va Tech 12

Seriously impressive stuff.....

Then again guess it is when you make history and lose to a 16 seed the year before.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Seriously crowing about what exactly? That 1 seeds beat 9 seeds to make the sweet 16? ROFL.
Goofball at it's finest.

UNC 9
FSU 12
Va 9
Va Tech 12

Then again guess it is when you make history and lose to a 16 seed the year before.
You get way too emotional over this stuff, jt.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I think everyone here realizes that with as chalky as this year's tourney has gone, almost any of the remaining teams could get to the Final.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Stop blaming refs and just play.

Tennessee could have complained about a bad foul on a 3pt shot against Iowa today. They went to OT and still handled their business. One call doesn't decide a game.

Refs blew it. Why wouldn't you call out blame where it belongs. Case in point, even if you don't buy the push off on the put back at the end of the game, even if you believe that the call on Tacko, that fouled him out was legit, the fact of the matter is that it should never have been called at all. The foul took place, before the contact initiated by Williams, on Tacko. Williams lowers his shoulder on Taylor, Taylor hits the deck and then Williams takes it into Tacko. Even if you don't believe that Williams committed an Offensive charge there, which I clearly believe he did, then why is that call not made, instead of allowing the continuation and the resulting 3 point play? There was clearly contact on that drive so why the no call? If you make that call, regardless of who you call it on, Tacko is still in the game and Duke only gets 2 instead of 3 on that play. If Tacko is still in the game, Duke likely never gets the put back on the miss at the end and FCU might very well have won that game.

There is no question, the Refs blew this game for FCU. You might say that the Refs looked at it and said to themselves, "We aren't having an FCU win here today, only an ** today."

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
They look good!

The Buckeyes kept it close for awhile because they were out of their minds shooting 3s, when normally they aren't too great at that.

When they first announced the brackets, I was telling ABQJr. that I thought the the MidWest was the toughest region and that I thought Houston was a lot tougher then anybody might think. I think Houston is pretty good and they could be a really tough out for anybody.

DFWJC

Reaction score
So in the monster bracket contest that I enter each year (last year it had 750 entries and this year 854..and you get to enter up to 5 entries at 20/pop) I have two brackets in the top 20 out of 854 participants
Since anything goes with all these good teams left, it may be as high as I get. But so far, so good. :thumbup:

uvaballa

Reaction score
Goofball at it's finest.

UNC 9
FSU 12
Va 9
Va Tech 12

Stop making excuses after you talked crap all season. You forgot to mention K State also lost to a 13. It happens but the league just wasn't as good as you thought. They basically had a bunch of middle tier teams. You also stated UNC would get bounced early.

Currently the ACC has 3 teams out of 14 with a winning record versus the AP top 20.
The Big 12 has 4 out of 10.

No offense but you are posting utter nonsense.

UNC has wins over Duke minus Zion(uhh congratz), and a very legit win over Gonzaga.
They also have losses to Texas, Louisville and UK.
They lost the only meeting to Virginia.

They'll be quickly bounced in the tourney THIS YEAR imho which is the discussion.

Historically of course the ACC is better. No one argued that.
The Big East was the best but when it broke up the ACC took the mantle.
That has shifted to the Big 12 now which has the best top to bottom basketball league in the country and plays each other twice.

Are we gonna call the Big East in this form the best since Villanova won last year?

The last Big 12 champ was Kansas 2008 and yes this conference was all Kansas all the time since it's inception but it now a dog fight for Kansas and they are unlikely to win the title again this year.
Texas Tech just beat them by 30 at home after losing by almost as much on the road.
Last year's elite 8 included 3 Big 12 teams in a 10 team conference.

4 of the Big 12's 10 teams(7 bids) made the sweet 16 and the conference won at a .632
4 of the ACC's 14 teams(9 bids) made the sweet 16 and they had a .571 win rate.

Expect more of the same this year.

The Big 12 has become outstanding and the ACC is pretty much Duke and Virginia top heavy this year.

Texas Tech is every bit as good as Virginia.

uvaballa

Reaction score
Refs blew it. Why wouldn't you call out blame where it belongs. Case in point, even if you don't buy the push off on the put back at the end of the game, even if you believe that the call on Tacko, that fouled him out was legit, the fact of the matter is that it should never have been called at all. The foul took place, before the contact initiated by Williams, on Tacko. Williams lowers his shoulder on Taylor, Taylor hits the deck and then Williams takes it into Tacko. Even if you don't believe that Williams committed an Offensive charge there, which I clearly believe he did, then why is that call not made, instead of allowing the continuation and the resulting 3 point play? There was clearly contact on that drive so why the no call? If you make that call, regardless of who you call it on, Tacko is still in the game and Duke only gets 2 instead of 3 on that play. If Tacko is still in the game, Duke likely never gets the put back on the miss at the end and FCU might very well have won that game.

There is no question, the Refs blew this game for FCU. You might say that the Refs looked at it and said to themselves, "We aren't having an FCU win here today, only an ** today."
If UCF makes the alley oop do you think they lose that game? Instead of going up 6 under 2 minutes, Duke hit a 3 and made it a 1 point game. Gotta make the simple plays to put a team away instead of going for the flashy plays.

mmohican29

Reaction score

The game was lost by UCF on Dawkins' missed alley oop dunk. Convert there and that's ballgame.

Duke was very fortunate the rest of the way, but also a bit more clutch.

Feel for the Knights, but credit Duke for exploiting the door left open by UCF.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
I'm genuinely concerned about playing Auburn on Friday night.

They may be the hottest team in basketball, having won 10 in a row in an especially tough SEC this season.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I'm genuinely concerned about playing Auburn on Friday night.

They may be the hottest team in basketball, having won 10 in a row in an especially tough SEC this season.
The just absolutely mauled Kansas, and destroyed Tennessee to win the SEC tourney. But they really were fortunate vs NM State.

Anyway, this is going to be track meet.

Could be in a 93-92 score.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
The just absolutely mauled Kansas, and destroyed Tennessee to win the SEC tourney. But they really were fortunate vs NM State.

Anyway, this is going to be track meet.

Could be in a 93-92 score.
Track meet indeed. They match our speed, especially in transition, and can shoot just as well as we can.

We are going to need Cam and Coby to step up big here. And we will need more than 2 points from Kenny as well.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Track meet indeed. They match our speed, especially in transition, and can shoot just as well as we can.

We are going to need Cam and Coby to step up big here. And we will need more than 2 points from Kenny as well.
Kenny had a rough night. I think he turned it over a bunch too. The kid can play some D though

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
Kenny had a rough night. I think he turned it over a bunch too. The kid can play some D though
Far and away the best defender on the team and one of the best in the ACC. Dude can habitually take the charge, and I think he even grabbed 3 steals against Washington on Sunday.

I really really really hope Nassir and Coby stay in school and develop their game next season. Nassir is showing some serious flashes down the stretch this season.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Far and away the best defender on the team and one of the best in the ACC. Dude can habitually take the charge, and I think he even grabbed 3 steals against Washington on Sunday.

I really really really hope Nassir and Coby stay in school and develop their game next season. Nassir is showing some serious flashes down the stretch this season.
They've both come so far since early in the season.
Cant be said for all Freshman, but both of these guys would be better pros if they waited a year....especially Little. He's just now learning to see the big picture better.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Hey, basketball I actually watch. Give me the college game over the NBA all day long. Can't wait for the Madness.
I love Notre Dame football. Almost as much as the Cowboys

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
If UCF makes the alley oop do you think they lose that game? Instead of going up 6 under 2 minutes, Duke hit a 3 and made it a 1 point game. Gotta make the simple plays to put a team away instead of going for the flashy plays.

Yeah. If they make that hope, and Fall fouls out, I think they lose. I mean, that game was a tale of two different games. With Fall in, Duke looked average at best. Really, even poor. Without him, they were hitting shots and grabbing offensive boards from all over. However, I don't think that changes the fact that the Refs screwed UCF on that call. Really no question in my mind, to be honest.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The game was lost by UCF on Dawkins' missed alley oop dunk. Convert there and that's ballgame.

Duke was very fortunate the rest of the way, but also a bit more clutch.

Feel for the Knights, but credit Duke for exploiting the door left open by UCF.

No. They were still leading at that point. The game wasn't lost there. The game was lost on the drive by ZW and the foul out by Fall. I credit Duke for nothing on that play. They got the benefit of three poor calls by the Refs on that one play. Truth is, Duke should have been lining up on the other end watching UCF shoot Free Throws because Williams did charge. That's not clutch, that's just a case of the Refs swallowing their whistles IMO.