NCAAF gets it wrong again

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My reason for not wanting a playoff is a little selfish I'll admit. But it's because if you have bowls and you get one of the lower tier schools in like a WVU,Va Tech, Michigan St,Stanford,Arizona,UNC etc, they can game plan and have enough depth for ONE big bowl game. But when you throw a multiple round playoff they cannot compete with the wave after wave of 5 star recruits the blue bloods throw at them.

How is that any different than college basketball? The tourney is fun and entertaining even though you pretty much know there are only a handful of schools who can survive 3 weeks of top level competition. Would college basketball be more entertaining if there were 32 one-off games with a national champ to be voted?

You just saw what a 4 loss Texas team can do against top level competition and beating a more talented UGA. I hate to tell folks this but Bama and Clemson are very beatable. Both have had games they could have easilly lost. College football is about match-ups and coaching too.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Fans want an absolution to resolve this controversy but the NCAA and the universities aren’t really interested unless the fans force the issue.

I can tell you the Alummis I know don’t want to abolish the current bowl system. They look forward every year attending a meaningless bowl game. It generates revenue for the universities and communities they visit.

Did you see the crowd in Pasadena and New Orleans for those meaningless bowl games? That’s what it’s all about.Alumni get it. And coaches want to reward their kids. It’s huge for recruiting.

How would the crowds in Pasadena and New Orleans be any less if those games actually mattered as part of a playoff? If anything, more alumni would be interested as well as the casual fans.

You are still going to have bowl games. When you expand the playoff, you incorporate them into the playoff sites. Of course, the consolations bowls which nobody watches anyway won't be harmed. They never mattered to anyone but the alumnis. So, fear not, the Liberty Bowl will still be all you remembered. lol

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Of course but there’s a core reason why these 6 and 7 win teams don’t want to abort the current bowl format.

An 8 team playoff format would be great for those teams and bowls but not the rest.

There’s a bigger vision at play here. As usual follow the money trail.

There is just no way an expanded playoff makes less money than the old bowl games. If you follow the money, it leads to an expanded playoff. The reason we still have bowls is more political than economic.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
There is just no way an expanded playoff makes less money than the old bowl games. If you follow the money, it leads to an expanded playoff. The reason we still have bowls is more political than economic.
Depends on how many playoff games and teams your considering?

Look how adding 2 more playoff teams has already diminished interest in the other bowls.

Do we really need to see Alabama beat an 8th seed Central Fla 60-6?

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oklahoma belonged and gave a good showing against the clear best team in the nation. Anyone who thinks Ohio St. doesn't get absolutely rolled by Alabama is clueless.

Notre Dame was the fraud.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Remember the playoff format was only created to diminish the doubt the best team didn’t have an opportunity to win.

Div 1 has always rewarded those who had great regular seasons.

I don’t think a 4 loss Texas should get an opportunity. If they had played a better regular season they could have had that opportunity. As a consolation they still received a great bowl their Alumni were thrilled with.

It’s like rewarding soccer kids with 5 th place trophies.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Oklahoma belonged and gave a good showing against the clear best team in the nation. Anyone who thinks Ohio St. doesn't get absolutely rolled by Alabama is clueless.

Notre Dame was the fraud.
That’s where the politics come in and why undefeated has always carried so much clout in Div 1.

In the end I think the 2 or at least 2 of the best teams are playing for it. So, it’s all good.

We have two 14-0 playing to become 15-0. What could be better?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
College football isn’t like the NFL where winning the World Championshio or national championship is the ultimate goal for all of the teams.

That’s basically for a few select teams. The rest are playing for their conference championship reveling in the rivalry games hoping to land a good bowl which will bolster their recruiting while satisfying school officials and alumni.

We don’t need to see 12th seeds make a run to the final 4. Lol

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Look how adding 2 more playoff teams has already diminished interest in the other bowls.

Alabama vs UCF would be a far more compelling game with national title implications than OSU-Washington for all the roses.

You solve the other bowl problem by expanding the playoff. You are arguing that something more compelling shouldn't be created in order to preserve an inferior product.

Last edited:

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The regular season

For who?

I’m curious where you’re an Alumni from?

Anyone interested in crowning a true national champion in college football? So, you get the SEC eyeballs plus all the college football fans not interested otherwise.

I'm a Cal alum. So, i'm not arguing out of any self interest. Cal has no shot in any system. BUT, if they did make the playoff, the alumni would travel.

kskboys

Reaction score

8th seed UCF gets better recruitments if they know they'll be playing for something.

Big pic.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
8th seed UCF gets better recruitments if they know they'll be playing for something.

Big pic.
I don’t think the power 5 conferences are really interested in UCF getting their shot and where the power of politics comes into play.

Purist fans may want it but not those in power. Div 1 football unlike basketball or baseball for example is an exclusive club.

They don’t want a small conference school shocking the world.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
College football isn’t like the NFL where winning the World Championshio or national championship is the ultimate goal for all of the teams.

That’s basically for a few select teams. The rest are playing for their conference championship reveling in the rivalry games hoping to land a good bowl which will bolster their recruiting while satisfying school officials and alumni.

We don’t need to see 12th seeds make a run to the final 4. Lol

Just checked the ratings. Playoff was down 25% from last year but still won the ratings. But.........

"The Rose Bowl Game presented by Northwestern Mutual featuring Washington vs. Ohio State and the Allstate Sugar Bowl between Texas and Georgia delivered New Year’s Six record ratings, with both bowls achieving their highest non-CFP Semifinal rating in the College Football Playoff five-year history"

https://247sports.com/Article/College-football-bowl-game-TV-ratings-127215989/

kskboys

Reaction score
I don’t think the power 5 conferences are really interested in UCF getting their shot and where the power of politics comes into play.

Purist fans may want it but not those in power. Div 1 football unlike basketball or baseball for example is an exclusive club.

They don’t want a small conference school shocking the world.
Oh, absolutely. The teams who are already getting the top recruits would never want an expanded playoff system.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Oh, absolutely. The teams who are already getting the top recruits would never want an expanded playoff system.
That’s right.

These big state schools will play their non conference games with small schools but not ones who are a threat. And these small schools will take the pounding for half the gate.

I recall when Boise St was up an coming. Nobody wanted to play them especially after they upset OU in Fiesta Bowl. They’d rather play a big school and get knocked off.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
College football is all about recruiting. Anything that threatens that to the big state schools they’re going to be against.

They’re more acceptable of a small school in a power 5 conference emerging.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Just checked the ratings. Playoff was down 25% from last year but still won the ratings. But.........

"The Rose Bowl Game presented by Northwestern Mutual featuring Washington vs. Ohio State and the Allstate Sugar Bowl between Texas and Georgia delivered New Year’s Six record ratings, with both bowls achieving their highest non-CFP Semifinal rating in the College Football Playoff five-year history"

https://247sports.com/Article/College-football-bowl-game-TV-ratings-127215989/
What some don’t realize is these big state schools graduate about 10-12,000 a year with about 50,000 attendance. Over time that accumulates quite a following. In just 20 years that’s 10 million people per school that just attend.

Mountaineerfan

Reaction score
How is that any different than college basketball? The tourney is fun and entertaining even though you pretty much know there are only a handful of schools who can survive 3 weeks of top level competition. Would college basketball be more entertaining if there were 32 one-off games with a national champ to be voted?

You just saw what a 4 loss Texas team can do against top level competition and beating a more talented UGA. I hate to tell folks this but Bama and Clemson are very beatable. Both have had games they could have easilly lost. College football is about match-ups and coaching too.

Different sport not as demanding physically. But I mostly agree.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
8 team playoff.....Champions from ACC, Big 10, Big 12, PAC12, SEC, American AC, Mountain West......one at large(highest ranked)

Thru the last weekend in November is for Conference Championships

Two weeks later is Round 1 at Higher Seeds Home stadium

Semis are around Jan 1 just like now
Finals 10 days later like now.....rotating bowls

This year
8- Fresno St
1- Alabama

5- Ohio St
4- Oklahoma

6- Washington
3- Notre Dame

7- UCF