NCAAF gets it wrong again

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Check this article out. Longhorn football generates more revenue than most NFL teams.

College football funds most of the other sports which includes scholarships for those kids who wouldn’t otherwise afford an education.

College football is much more powerful and profitable than most can even imagine.

https://www.barkingcarnival.com/201...ost-nfl-teams-college-football-revenue-profit

And this are just the profits not what they actually generate. I believe I read where Texas generated over 700 million which is before expenses.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That’s right.

These big state schools will play their non conference games with small schools but not ones who are a threat. And these small schools will take the pounding for half the gate.

I recall when Boise St was up an coming. Nobody wanted to play them especially after they upset OU in Fiesta Bowl. They’d rather play a big school and get knocked off.

Well, you can thank the reliance on polls for that effect. Alabama had a top 10 SOS even with the 2 cream puff games. Whats the incentive to schedule a hard game and give yourself one more opportunity to get knocked down in the polls? If the SEC champ was gauranteed a spot in an expanded playoff, there would be more incentive to give ascending programs a shot.......likewise in the other big conferences.

Last edited:

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don’t think the power 5 conferences are really interested in UCF getting their shot and where the power of politics comes into play.

Purist fans may want it but not those in power. Div 1 football unlike basketball or baseball for example is an exclusive club.

They don’t want a small conference school shocking the world.

The only argument against expanding the playoff is that it diminishes the bowls in importance (not ratings). Thats Saban's argument. He said the pinnacle of college football used to be a Rose Bowl or Sugar Bowl appearance or the Fiesta Bowl. Now the spotlight is off the actual bowls and onto the playoff. So, while there used to be 6 important games. There are now only 3 that matter. He doesn't see how that is an improvement. Well.............. an 8 team playoff creates huge signficance for 7 games.

But the NCAA needs to get smart as to where they put these games and on what night. Folks from Alabama and South Carolina aren't real excited going to SF on a work night after already traveling to their conference title and semifinal games. I heard tickets for the national title game are going for half face value. Empty seats are bad optics for the NCAA National Title Game. Not sure what genius thought putting the game in the Bay area was a good idea. Stanford and Cal don't even sell out their own stadiums. Its not a college football city and the weather sucks this time of year. It makes as much sense as playing the game in NYC.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The only argument against expanding the playoff is that it diminishes the bowls in importance (not ratings). Thats Saban's argument. He said the pinnacle of college football used to be a Rose Bowl or Sugar Bowl appearance or the Fiesta Bowl. Now the spotlight is off the actual bowls and onto the playoff. So, while there used to be 6 important games. There are now only 3 that matter. He doesn't see how that is an improvement. Well.............. an 8 team playoff creates huge signficance for 7 games.

But the NCAA needs to get smart as to where they put these games and on what night. Folks from Alabama and South Carolina aren't real excited going to SF on a work night after already traveling to their conference title and semifinal games. I heard tickets for the national title game are going for half face value. Empty seats are bad optics for the NCAA National Title Game. Not sure what genius thought putting the game in the Bay area was a good idea. Stanford and Cal don't even sell out their own stadiums. Its not a college football city and the weather sucks this time of year. It makes as much sense as playing the game in NYC.
I tend to agree with Saban.

And yea , Northern Calif made no sense for venue.

The message to power 5 I think still is win all of your games and you get in. Which is pretty much how the national champion was always determined if you were from a top 5 conference.

I don’t think we’ll see a push towards expansion until all 5 conferences consistently produce undefeated teams and someone is left out. Hasn’t happened yet. If you lose a game it places you at the mercy of pollsters. Schools understands that going in.

And this is about what the schools want unless the interest falters drastically. Honestly , if they aren’t going to change it I’d prefer going back to BCS #1 and #2 playing after the New Years bowls which would bring meaning back to them.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I tend to agree with Saban.

And yea , Northern Calif made no sense for venue.

The message to power 5 I think still is win all of your games and you get in. Which is pretty much how the national champion was always determined if you were from a top 5 conference.

I don’t think we’ll see a push towards expansion until all 5 conferences consistently produce undefeated teams and someone is left out. Hasn’t happened yet. If you lose a game it places you at the mercy of pollsters. Schools understands that going in.

And this is about what the schools want unless the interest falters drastically. Honestly , if they aren’t going to change it I’d prefer going back to BCS #1 and #2 playing after the New Years bowls which would bring meaning back to them.

It is an interesting problem. But, I think the overriding consideration is a true national champ. If you go back to the BCS #1 vs #2, how would that work this year with 3 undefeated teams not including UCF? The other bowls are still irrelevent in regard to crowning a national champ.

I just don't think you can go back to the time Saban Harkens too. If you don't make the games meaningful, the best draft eligible players will still sit out. So, you are still not getting the match-up you wanted.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It is an interesting problem. But, I think the overriding consideration is a true national champ. If you go back to the BCS #1 vs #2, how would that work this year with 3 undefeated teams not including UCF? The other bowls are still irrelevent in regard to crowning a national champ.

I just don't think you can go back to the time Saban Harkens too. If you don't make the games meaningful, the best draft eligible players will still sit out. So, you are still not getting the match-up you wanted.
If Clemson had played ND in the regular Cotton Bowl or other New Years Day Bowl then there wouldn’t have been 3 Power 5 undefeated left.

If there was then you’d refer to the polls.

Div 1 has always had this controversy . And why they often had arguments over Undisputed champions.

I’m not sure we’ll ever get past that. This is about as good as it gets. The matchups your wanting simply aren’t always possible. It never really has been.

Im not sure If a true definite national champion is a priority in Div 1? The current format stops short of what the critics really want.

Like Ksboys stated. He’s prob never going to be happy with it. And that’s ok. I’m not sure they care enough to truly fix it.

Last edited:

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Clemson had played ND in the regular Cotton Bowl or other New Years Day Bowl then there wouldn’t have been 3 Power 5 undefeated left.

If there was they you’d refer to the polls.

Div 1 has always had this controversy . And why they often had arguments over Undisputed champions.

I’m not sure we’ll ever get past that. This is about as good as it gets. The matchups your wanting simply aren’t always possible. It never really has been.

Im not sure If a true definite national champion is a priority in Div 1? The current format stops short of what the critics really want.

Like Ksboys stated. He’s prob never going to be happy with it. And that’s ok. I’m not sure they care enough to truly fix it.

I just never liked polls determining the national champion. The BCS was an improvement over the old system.

The logistics of an 8 team playoff are not super obvious. If Bama and Clemson can't generate enough demand to sell NCG tickets at face value, that would seem to be a roadblock to expansion. They would almost have to play round 1 of the playoff on the home fields of the 4 higher seeds, the semi finals on new years day, and the NCG a week later. And they need to get that title game on a weekend.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I just never liked polls determining the national champion. The BCS was an improvement over the old system.

The logistics of an 8 team playoff are not super obvious. If Bama and Clemson can't generate enough demand to sell NCG tickets at face value, that would seem to be a roadblock to expansion. They would almost have to play round 1 of the playoff on the home fields of the 4 higher seeds, the semi finals on new years day, and the NCG a week later. And they need to get that title game on a weekend.
I laid out the full scenario a few posts back

It doesn't solve anything.....Alabama beating UCF or Fresno St 65-10 doesn't solve anything

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Fans never liked the polls unless your school came out on top. I agree the BCS was an improvement.

I was good with the #1 vs #2. Because New Years Day Bowls were more meaningful. Or at least play the semifinals on New Years Day.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Fans never liked the polls unless your school came out on top. I agree the BCS was an improvement.

I was good with the #1 vs #2. Because New Years Day Bowls were more meaningful. Or at least play the semifinals on New Years Day.

Agreed. The Semifinals need to be on New years Day.

jimmy40

Reaction score
SEC runner-ups rarely ever play well in meaningless bowl games. Auburn lost last year..........Florida got beat up pretty bad the year before. It is no surprise at all. Texas is an up and coming program that was far more excited to be in the Sugar Bowl than UGA and that was pretty obvious from the games opening minutes until the end.

IMO, this is why they need to expand the playoffs. Same thing happened to Michigan who got blown out by Florida. Rashan Gary doesn't play........the staff is more interested in recruiting than preparing for a game. Coaches move on and don't stick around. UGA's defense was run by committee after their DC departed in december to be a head coach. While Alabama's OC whose also a HC in waiting stuck around b/c the game mattered. The playoff teams didn't have guys sitting out for fear of injury ect.

The NCAA just needs to go all in and stop dipping its toe in the playoff waters. They've made a mess of New Years Day and they need to fix it. You can't have a full day of football exhibitions that don't matter.
Page 1 paragraph 1 of the SEC handbook of bowl loss excuses:
Didn't want to be there

kskboys

Reaction score
This didn't age well.
It didn't? ND got blown out. They were never in the game. They got squashed.

Maybe you made a mistake? Because your post doesn't fit, and it appears the polar opposite of what you're saying is true!!!!

kskboys

Reaction score
8 team playoff.....Champions from ACC, Big 10, Big 12, PAC12, SEC, American AC, Mountain West......one at large(highest ranked)

Thru the last weekend in November is for Conference Championships

Two weeks later is Round 1 at Higher Seeds Home stadium

Semis are around Jan 1 just like now
Finals 10 days later like now.....rotating bowls

This year
8- Fresno St
1- Alabama

5- Ohio St
4- Oklahoma

6- Washington
3- Notre Dame

7- UCF
2- Clemson

It really doesn't solve anything but it takes away 90% of the *****ing
Disagree that it doesn't solve anything. It fixes an extremely flawed system.

And if you really want to fix it, go to 16.

coogrfan

Reaction score
It didn't? ND got blown out. They were never in the game. They got squashed.

Maybe you made a mistake? Because your post doesn't fit, and it appears the polar opposite of what you're saying is true!!!!

As did big, bad SEC champ Bama. You might consider the possibility that Clemson was just head and shoulders above everyone else.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Disagree that it doesn't solve anything. It fixes an extremely flawed system.

And if you really want to fix it, go to 16.
That is what the Conference championship games are

Too many fans are obsessed with the need for finality instead of enjoying the great games throughout the year

Bowl games are a reward for the players and a good excuse for the fans to take a trip in the Winter... they don't all have to be part of a tournament

uvaballa

Reaction score
Clemson wins the national championship and gets fast food as a prize lol.

kskboys

Reaction score
As did big, bad SEC champ Bama. You might consider the possibility that Clemson was just head and shoulders above everyone else.
Already did. And we'll never know because they got to play a patsy.

Once again, your statement that my post didn't age well was absolutely incorrect as it turned out to be spot on.