NCAAF gets it wrong again

kskboys

Reaction score
His name is Kevin. No wonder I don't like him.
Along w/ the fact that I constantly shoot u down w/ facts

I like almost everyone on here, including you. I'm not shallow enough to derive major dislike from spew on a message board!!!!!!!!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
His name is Kevin. No wonder I don't like him.
He’s a great fan who I trust his judgement and often look to his wisdom but on this issue he’s hung up on a technicality with a system that’s flawed from the onset and then trying to reckon with it.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
He’s a great fan who I trust his judgement and often look to his wisdom but on this issue he’s hung up on a technicality with a system that’s flawed from the onset and then trying to reckon with it.
If you're looking for wisdom from KSK you might as well ask Bill Clinton for marriage advice.

kskboys

Reaction score
OOOOOOOOOooooooo. Greg, you are on a roll. I think that is exactly the case!!!!! Good call!!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I am 54 and only a casual college football fan. I would become a much bigger fan if there were a playoff system.

I do not agree. The only time other games matter is if the top ranked team lost. There were a few times other games mattered, but it was rare.
But we often didn’t know if the top team would lose until the final game or day.

I’ve been following College Football since the 60’s and often the New Years Days had an impact or could have had an impact .

That made them more interesting.

kskboys

Reaction score
But we often didn’t know if the top team would lose until the final game or day.
Yeah, and I don't like a system based on hope and butterflies.

You've already hit the nail on the head, Greg. I don't like the system. I doubt if anything would make me happy short of an expanded playoff system.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Actually, you are correct, Greg, and I'm not sure I even realized until you just said it. I disapprove of the entire system. Good conclusion, dude!!!!
I think most of us do. The only time we walk away from it feeling somewhat satisfied is when there’s only 1 undefeated top team left.

And what this playoff system is attempting to achieve.

Last edited:

kskboys

Reaction score
If you're looking for wisdom from KSK you might as well ask Bill Clinton for marriage advice.
And I look for wisdom from everyone. Sometimes it's quite surprising the wisdom you can get from unexpected sources. Why even the other day I agreed w/ PAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yeah, and I don't like a system based on hope and butterflies.

You've already hit the nail on the head, Greg. I don't like the system. I doubt if anything would make me happy short of an expanded playoff system.
Correct!

I have several friends who can’t stand it and I’ll critic as well.

Well, I’m glad we resolved it!

I accept the flaws as they are because I love college ball. But Div 1 compared to how all other sports and levels in college are decided, is a joke. As always, follow the money trail.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Until Div 1 football feels it’s in their best interest financially to abort the current bowl system and go to a playoff like in other sports or other divisions of football it’s going to be a controversy.

kskboys

Reaction score
I think most of us do. The only time we walk away from it feeling somewhat satisfied is when there’s only 1 undefeated top team left.

And what this playoff system is attempting to achieve.
Good thing is, there will be no doubt this year. CLEM or ALA easily deserves to be champion.

What I miss are great matchups. OH ST would've been a great matchup w/ either team. LSU or one of several very good teams would've been a blast to watch take on ALA/CLEM.

The ratings tanked for the previous two BCS games. Going to be interesting to see the ratings for the final.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not necessarily. Often there’d be some games that would influence the final polls pending the results.

We usually didn’t know who the National championship went to until the end of the day.

Which was a ridiculous system and the only NCAA sport whose champion was not determined on the field but through a poll of writers and coaches. Kinda the same way Ice skating is judged. Who danced prettier? That was a better system?

Saban makes a good point. Bowls that are not part of the playoff have diminished value. The current system has left too many bowl games hung out to dry. BUT, the only way to fix that is to expand the playoff to make more bowl games meaningful. Its going to happen.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, I'm not. I'm comparing the parameters used to vote teams in. There should not be bias, and there most obviously is.

There is bias in every system. But, the bias was far worse in the old bowl system b/c the national champion was determined by ............a poll of voters all with their own biases. It got so bad that we changed to the BCS so we get at least get a #1 vs #2 match-up...........though that too was voted on by biased voters. Now we have a 4 team playoff which gets rid of more of the bias but some still lingers. There is always a team or 2 that gets snubbed who would have a chance in a playoff. The bigger the playoff, the more voter bias is eliminated. Its the only way.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Which was a ridiculous system and the only NCAA sport whose champion was not determined on the field but through a poll of writers and coaches. Kinda the same way Ice skating is judged. Who danced prettier? That was a better system?

Saban makes a good point. Bowls that are not part of the playoff have diminished value. The current system has left too many bowl games hung out to dry. BUT, the only way to fix that is to expand the playoff to make more bowl games meaningful. Its going to happen.
Didn’t say it was a better system. As a matter of fact have maintained its very flawed. I’ve just accepted it for what it is .

Until the curtent system threatens Div 1 financially we’ll never see the changes we’d all like to see.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
There is bias in every system. But, the bias was far worse in the old bowl system b/c the national champion was determined by ............a poll of voters all with their own biases. It got so bad that we changed to the BCS so we get at least get a #1 vs #2 match-up...........though that too was voted on by biased voters. Now we have a 4 team playoff which gets rid of more of the bias but some still lingers. There is always a team or 2 that gets snubbed who would have a chance in a playoff. The bigger the playoff, the more voter bias is eliminated. Its the only way.
Of course but there’s a core reason why these 6 and 7 win teams don’t want to abort the current bowl format.

An 8 team playoff format would be great for those teams and bowls but not the rest.

There’s a bigger vision at play here. As usual follow the money trail.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Fans want an absolution to resolve this controversy but the NCAA and the universities aren’t really interested unless the fans force the issue.

I can tell you the Alummis I know don’t want to abolish the current bowl system. They look forward every year attending a meaningless bowl game. It generates revenue for the universities and communities they visit.

Did you see the crowd in Pasadena and New Orleans for those meaningless bowl games? That’s what it’s all about.Alumni get it. And coaches want to reward their kids. It’s huge for recruiting.

Mountaineerfan

Reaction score
I am 54 and only a casual college football fan. I would become a much bigger fan if there were a playoff system.

I do not agree. The only time other games matter is if the top ranked team lost. There were a few times other games mattered, but it was rare.

My reason for not wanting a playoff is a little selfish I'll admit. But it's because if you have bowls and you get one of the lower tier schools in like a WVU,Va Tech, Michigan St,Stanford,Arizona,UNC etc, they can game plan and have enough depth for ONE big bowl game. But when you throw a multiple round playoff they cannot compete with the wave after wave of 5 star recruits the blue bloods throw at them.