Nearly 40% of our salary cap is going to underperformers

DFWJC

Reaction score
Flozell was good, dont forget the last couple, when he was replaced no one remembered him. He also got flags at the wrong time as well. Tyron is light years better than Flozell and Flo was good, and EVEN that is hard to find.
Yeah...no comparison overall with Smith and Flozell the hotel.
And I agree; Flozell at his best could be very good.

Carter

Reaction score
And that is why the Cowboys can only get JAGs in Free Agency. Too much dead Money carried around by terrible contracts and whenever you think they see the light they will extend guys like T.Crawford to terrible deals.

Watch Demarcus Lawrence become the #1 paid DE in the Offseason just to all of a sudden decline into a 5 Sack a year guy.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Tyron Smith - 10.37%
Dez Bryant - 9.75%
Tyrone Crawford - 5.38%
Jason Witten - 3.84%
Orlando Scandrick - 3.12%
Terrance Williams - 2.81%
Benson Mayowa - 2.27%

I hate to put Tyron Smith on a list of underperformers because that isn't the whole story, but the truth is, his inability to stay healthy is a problem that needs to be highlighted. As I discussed before, he isn't going to get healthier. You now can not expect him to play a full 16 game season, let alone an additional run into the playoffs...

Anyways, I digress, the rest of the list is less controversial. My point is that nearly 40 percent of your cap is held up by 6-7 players, some of whom aren't even good players, let alone great. I would be fine with moving on from all of these players. I don't see any of them as long-term options going forward. Logic dictates that they should be moved on from sooner rather than later.
Can't stand when you post your garbage but this is a good post

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It hurts me to say it but he did not perform well even when playing this year.
Check the stats and remember how little he played this season. Even when in the games he was giving up sacks and was called for the 9th most penalties of all OL in the league and this was only in half the games played.

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/stats...IVE+LINE&opp=0&sort=1&qualified=1&sortOrder=0

Now he can bounce back. But let’s be honest about his performance last season.

He missed three full games, plus played only three snaps in the SEA game, and still managed more than 70% of the offensive snaps for the season playing through a groin injury early in the season and trying to play through the knee injury that had us IR him in week 17.

He's missed 7 games in 7 seasons, and no more than three games in a season to-date. He signed one of the most notoriously team-friendly deals in recent memory. He's probably the last play on the roster I'd put on a list of underperfomers.

Smith isn' the only name on that list I think is silly, by the way.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I guess you didn't see the ATL game. He is playing in less and less games every year. The Cowboys definitely have a huge hole at a backup for him, since he isn't reliable.

They've definitely got a hole at backup OT, no reasonable person would deny that.

That's a long, long way from saying a groin injury makes Tyron Smith an underperforming player.

He's missed three games each of the last two years, by the way. Let's not exaggerate the extent of the problem. As far as has been reporting, his injuries aren't necessarily chronic. Last year's back strain and this years were on different sides, right? The groin...players are going to get groin pulls now and then. And the knee was something he tried to play through because we desperately needed a win in SEA and he couldn't. That sort of commitment is over performing in my book.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
So I guess you didn't watch this season? DLaw had his best year and had his second back surgery when again?

Not sure that Lawrence's back got better as opposed to

1. He got better as a player
2. Had more experience
3. Was coming off of performance enhancing drugs that he described as causing a second puberty
4. He was in a contract year

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They've definitely got a hole at backup OT, no reasonable person would deny that.

That's a long, long way from saying a groin injury makes Tyron Smith an underperforming player.

He's missed three games each of the last two years, by the way. Let's not exaggerate the extent of the problem. As far as has been reporting, his injuries aren't necessarily chronic. Last year's back strain and this years were on different sides, right? The groin...players are going to get groin pulls now and then. And the knee was something he tried to play through because we desperately needed a win in SEA and he couldn't. That sort of commitment is over performing in my book.

He's been playing hurt for most of the past 2 seasons with back and knee issues. We haven't seen Tyron at full strength since 2105. So, not only do we have a huge hole at back-up OT but that guy is probably going to be leaned on a lot.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
These are almost always to best manage the situation not to heal it...

I've seen people get a lot better with back surgery, and with therapy. Obviously playing football is a higher level of activity to deal with, but I've seen people who went from not being able to stand more than a couple of minutes at a time to being able to walk 18 holes. I know a lady who was bedridden that is now at the gym twice a day, with one of those times being as the leader of a body pump class.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
You mean the Sean Lee that led the team in both solo and assisted tackles by a mile?
That guy?

I wouldn't have Smith on there either, but with Lee, what are you insinuating exactly?

The post speaks for itself.......no more, no less ( LOL nothing to do the card, leave it alone )

elcowboi

Reaction score
Tyron Smith - 10.37%
Dez Bryant - 9.75%
Tyrone Crawford - 5.38%
Jason Witten - 3.84%
Orlando Scandrick - 3.12%
Terrance Williams - 2.81%
Benson Mayowa - 2.27%

I hate to put Tyron Smith on a list of underperformers because that isn't the whole story, but the truth is, his inability to stay healthy is a problem that needs to be highlighted. As I discussed before, he isn't going to get healthier. You now can not expect him to play a full 16 game season, let alone an additional run into the playoffs...

Anyways, I digress, the rest of the list is less controversial. My point is that nearly 40 percent of your cap is held up by 6-7 players, some of whom aren't even good players, let alone great. I would be fine with moving on from all of these players. I don't see any of them as long-term options going forward. Logic dictates that they should be moved on from sooner rather than later.

You sure it's not 100%?????

ShiningStar

Reaction score
the smart thing would be to take Tyron off the list. even if hes not good today, he has NOT been under performing and has earned his contract.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
And 50% of the team makes 10% of the cap

That will only go up with 10 more Draft Picks

The cap is not an issue

Right. This thread is a very odd criticism. Seems like reaching to me. Cowboys have a young team and a team that is full of solid young players on rookie deals. x

John813

Reaction score
Smiths contract is so high this year cause we kicked the can down the road and the road is coming to an end.
His cap # would not of been so high had we not been so dependent on restructuring contracts left and right to free up cap space.
People who say we should cut him now, or even a year or so ago don't realize the amount of dead cap it would bring.
Not the mention the immediate hole it would cause on the offensive line.
As of now, he has over 18+mil in prorated bonuses. No sane GM would cut him, eat the high dead cap for the next couple of years and all of a sudden have to fill the most important spot on the offensive line.

On March 9, 2015 Smith converted $10 million of his base salary to a signing bonus to create $8 million in cap space. In 2016 Smith converted $9 million of base salary to bonus money for salary cap relief. On February 21, 2017 Smith converted $8.725 million of his base salary to a signing bonus to provide the Cowboys with $6.98 million of cap relief.

Tyrone Smith restructured his contract on March 14, 2016 converting $9 million of his $10 million base salary to a signing bonus. The move created $7.2 million in cap room in 2016 while adding $1.8 million to the next four years cap charges.