Nearly 40% of our salary cap is going to underperformers

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
and by the end of the season?

By the end of the season, we saved 14mil in cap, and didn't have to watch Tony get a broken back again.

I would have gone with Tony at the end of 2016, because we would have been talking a short season he might have lasted, and we had already paid for him.

2017, it was time to move on, save the cap, and develop Dak.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Witten's pro

We went 13-3 without Romo against a very soft schedule. We didn't lose to Green Bay because of our defense. We lost to Green Bay because our offense was impotent for a half and that was very much because of Dak Prescott.

The onus of winning games does fall equally on our offense and defense. We have one of the most expensive offenses in the NFL. We can't say the same about our defense. As soon as you pick up on that fact, you realize why the expectations are heavier for the QB of that offense.

Dallas also had a QB who scored no passing touchdowns in 8 games this year who threw for over 300 yards only once in the entire season. Who threw for less than 200 yards in 8 games.
And we went 9-7 without our Franchise player for 6 weeks and the whole season under a cloud

Galian Beast

Reaction score
1) Dak is younger, stronger, faster, more durable, and 14millon cheaper than Tony. I'd call that a lot of meaningful ways better than Tony.

2) The problem with your analysis is that you don't quite seem to understand that dead cap is *dead*. As in not resurrected by keeping a player on the roster to *add* to his cumulative cap hit.

3) SB last year? This year? Dak simply was not the problem against GB. He had a good game. Tony *might* have been better. Might have been worse. And thinking that we had a shot at the SB this year is simply delusional.

Younger doesn't itself suggest an improvement at the quarterback position.

Nor does speed when you can't move the ball down the field consistently.

Please learn how to read. I said that Keeping Romo with his cumulative cap hit would have been worth the improvement to offense compared to starting Dak with Romo's dead money. Learn what opportunity cost are.

Again, he was absolutely the problem. He had a terrible first half against one of the worst secondaries in the nfl.

Do I think Romo beats Foles in a playoff game? Yeah, I do.They eaked by the Falcons.

diefree666

Reaction score
1) Dak is younger, stronger, faster, more durable, and 14millon cheaper than Tony. I'd call that a lot of meaningful ways better than Tony.

2) The problem with your analysis is that you don't quite seem to understand that dead cap is *dead*. As in not resurrected by keeping a player on the roster to *add* to his cumulative cap hit.

3) SB last year? This year? Dak simply was not the problem against GB. He had a good game. Tony *might* have been better. Might have been worse. And thinking that we had a shot at the SB this year is simply delusional.
your problem is that your so called advantages sort of dried up this year
and anyone thinking that Tony would have been worse than Dak vs GB is not worth listening too at all

Galian Beast

Reaction score
And we went 9-7 without our Franchise player for 6 weeks and the whole season under a cloud

Have any other excuses lying around? The Eagles and Patriots both were without a lot of key players. We only beat the Eagles because they rested their starters. That was truly an 8-8 season if I've ever seen one.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Have any other excuses lying around? The Eagles and Patriots both were without a lot of key players. We only beat the Eagles because they rested their starters. That was truly an 8-8 season if I've ever seen one.
If you don't think losing EE was big you just have an agenda you are pushing

HungryLion

Reaction score

How is he the one making excuses?

You’re the one basically insisting that the team would have won a Super Bowl in 2016 or this season with Romo. Despite the fact that Romo never even got to one, let alone won it, during his entire career.

Talk about making a VERY large assumption that has no basis in fact.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
If you don't think losing EE was big you just have an agenda you are pushing

It's absolutely big, and it was terribly managed by the front office, but that doesn't mean your QB can go without a touchdown for 8 games... Romo won games with the likes of Randle at running back.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
How is he the one making excuses?

You’re the one basically insisting that the team would have won a Super Bowl in 2016 or this season with Romo. Despite the fact that Romo never even got to one, let alone won it, during his entire career.

Talk about making a VERY large assumption that has no basis in fact.

How often in Romo's career did we have the strength of schedule in 2016? With a defense ranked 5th in points and the top running game in the league? Anyone could have won last year. Missing the playoffs in what ended up the worst playoffs I've ever seen was highly questionable.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
your problem is that your so called advantages sort of dried up this year
and anyone thinking that Tony would have been worse than Dak vs GB is not worth listening too at all
All of the advantages listed were just as true, in fact more true, at the end of the season.
Then don't listen.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Who was the last big Name the Cowboys signed in FA ?
Don't know and don't care. The Cowboys aren't interested in them big name players because of the big money you have to spend (that's code for overpay) not because they don't have the salary cap room. Because they do. Very much so.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
we certainly contributed between not letting him compete for the job and then Jerry yanking his chain early in 2017 with all that dumb trade postering
Ultimately how on earth can anyone conclude it was not Romo's choice?

So per your argument, Romo wanted to play, the Cowboys said no the job belongs to Prescott, Jerry Jones tried to trade him and then Romo decides to just take a job as an announcer? Laughable.

He could have forced the Cowboys hand by maintaining he wanted to play. That alone would have forced a trade or force the Cowboys to pay him.

It is completely asinine to pretend that he was just run off and gosh darn it, we would have won something had he returned.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Younger doesn't itself suggest an improvement at the quarterback position.

Nor does speed when you can't move the ball down the field consistently.

Please learn how to read. I said that Keeping Romo with his cumulative cap hit would have been worth the improvement to offense compared to starting Dak with Romo's dead money. Learn what opportunity cost are.

Again, he was absolutely the problem. He had a terrible first half against one of the worst secondaries in the nfl.

Do I think Romo beats Foles in a playoff game? Yeah, I do.They eaked by the Falcons.

Young man's game. You don't have to think so.

Faster is faster.

Learn how to think. Dead money is dead. It simply is not a consideration when thinking about keeping Romo. Learn what sunk costs are.

You can believe Tony would have been the magic savior. He had a worse QB rating in 2015 than Dak had in 2017. And that was before another broken back.

In Dak's "terrible" first half. He had one dud of a drive. Another drive killed by unsportsmanlike conduct by Butler. All other drives led to points. 13 points at the half. More than ok.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Young man's game. You don't have to think so.

Faster is faster.

Learn how to think. Dead money is dead. It simply is not a consideration when thinking about keeping Romo. Learn what sunk costs are.

You can believe Tony would have been the magic savior. He had a worse QB rating in 2015 than Dak had in 2017. And that was before another broken back.

In Dak's "terrible" first half. He had one dud of a drive. Another drive killed by unsportsmanlike conduct by Butler. All other drives led to points. 13 points at the half. More than ok.

If you don't understand opportunity cost you can't understand sunk costs.

I like how you look to 2015 where he played 3 and a half games to compare to Dak's entire season of play...

Drives resulting in points doesn't equate to a good drive. You don't beat playoff caliber teams in the NFL kicking field goals.

His inability to keep drives going resulted in the Packers taking control of this game. His early interception in the 3rd quarter didn't help things either.

diefree666

Reaction score
Ultimately how on earth can anyone conclude it was not Romo's choice?

So per your argument, Romo wanted to play, the Cowboys said no the job belongs to Prescott, Jerry Jones tried to trade him and then Romo decides to just take a job as an announcer? Laughable.

He could have forced the Cowboys hand by maintaining he wanted to play. That alone would have forced a trade or force the Cowboys to pay him.

It is completely asinine to pretend that he was just run off and gosh darn it, we would have won something had he returned.
I said it contributed; but then again so many here just go for absolutes like you just did

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Tyron Smith - 10.37%
Dez Bryant - 9.75%
Tyrone Crawford - 5.38%
Jason Witten - 3.84%
Orlando Scandrick - 3.12%
Terrance Williams - 2.81%
Benson Mayowa - 2.27%

I hate to put Tyron Smith on a list of underperformers because that isn't the whole story, but the truth is, his inability to stay healthy is a problem that needs to be highlighted. As I discussed before, he isn't going to get healthier. You now can not expect him to play a full 16 game season, let alone an additional run into the playoffs...

Anyways, I digress, the rest of the list is less controversial. My point is that nearly 40 percent of your cap is held up by 6-7 players, some of whom aren't even good players, let alone great. I would be fine with moving on from all of these players. I don't see any of them as long-term options going forward. Logic dictates that they should be moved on from sooner rather than later.
Holy Crap!

That is some list.

Ouch.

When you look at it..

that makes little sense.

And when you talk about Smith..

Lee is right there, too.