Nearly 40% of our salary cap is going to underperformers

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
Great rebuttal.
There is really no need for a rebuttal. You seem to be covering it all.
I think you keep Smith and find a good backup so he doesn't have to play every snap. It's either that or you find someone that can make an immediate difference either from the draft or FA.

Not much of a "rebuttal" but my 2 cents worth.

The Realist

Reaction score
Tyrone Crawford at 5% is a far greater concern than Tyron Smith at 10%.

Tyron when healthy is the best LT in the game.

Tyrone Crawford is the definition of JAG whose production should be replaced by a mid round draft pick making less than a million per year.

Someone told me a while back that Crawford was our most catalytic defensive player 12-18 months ago. It's hard to sign worse contracts than we did with Bradie, Roy, Roy, etc, etc, but this may be the dumbest ever.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Someone told me a while back that Crawford was our most catalytic defensive player 12-18 months ago. It's hard to sign worse contracts than we did with Bradie, Roy, Roy, etc, etc, but this may be the dumbest ever.

It’s been horrible. Constantly underperforms and then we hear “oh he was playing hurt”.

Complete waste.

GenoT

Reaction score
Tyron Smith - 10.37%
Dez Bryant - 9.75%
Tyrone Crawford - 5.38%
Jason Witten - 3.84%
Orlando Scandrick - 3.12%
Terrance Williams - 2.81%
Benson Mayowa - 2.27%

I hate to put Tyron Smith on a list of underperformers because that isn't the whole story, but the truth is, his inability to stay healthy is a problem that needs to be highlighted. As I discussed before, he isn't going to get healthier. You now can not expect him to play a full 16 game season, let alone an additional run into the playoffs...

Anyways, I digress, the rest of the list is less controversial. My point is that nearly 40 percent of your cap is held up by 6-7 players, some of whom aren't even good players, let alone great. I would be fine with moving on from all of these players. I don't see any of them as long-term options going forward. Logic dictates that they should be moved on from sooner rather than later.

“Logic dictates”...regarding a team owned and perpetually GM’d by a 75yo, egocentric, puppet master??!?

Aye, there’s the rub.

Hate to keep beating the dead horse of reality, but I’m afraid that logic, at least as anyone on the outside sees it — and yours presented in the OP is well worth considering — will not have enough bearing on how the Cowboys proceed going forward to get us past the barrier of the conference semifinals — let alone to a SB title.

Blind luck, good karma, voodoo...maybe. Logic...no.

Verdict

Reaction score
Tyron Smith - 10.37%
Dez Bryant - 9.75%
Tyrone Crawford - 5.38%
Jason Witten - 3.84%
Benson Mayowa - 2.27%

I hate to put Tyron Smith on a list of underperformers because that isn't the whole story, but the truth is, his inability to stay healthy is a problem that needs to be highlighted. As I discussed before, he isn't going to get healthier. You now can not expect him to play a full 16 game season, let alone an additional run into the playoffs...

Anyways, I digress, the rest of the list is less controversial. My point is that nearly 40 percent of your cap is held up by 6-7 players, some of whom aren't even good players, let alone great. I would be fine with moving on from all of these players. I don't see any of them as long-term options going forward. Logic dictates that they should be moved on from sooner rather than later.

I think you have a point on all of these guys except Tyron. He is the best OT in the game when healthy. If he will never be healthy again then that's a different story. Chop him too and move on. Can't be sentimental about stuff like this.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
TCrawford has been paid 24m over the last 3 years and has 3 years and 21m left, none of it is guaranteed

Hardly a catastrophe for our most consistent and versatile DL

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Ironically, I think they cut Romo way too early and as a result, we've dealt with his dead money on the books with no upside and continue to do so.

You can't complain about dead cap and then ask to keep Romo longer. Keeping him would have added 10+mil to his cumulative cap hit.

We were going to eat tons of dead cap after Tony retired. Dak allows us to take that hit while we're paying our QB peanuts. Dak saved us from cap hell.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
You can't complain about dead cap and then ask to keep Romo longer. Keeping him would have added 10+mil to his cumulative cap hit.

We were going to eat tons of dead cap after Tony retired. Dak allows us to take that hit while we're paying our QB peanuts. Dak saved us from cap hell.
Correct

They SAVED 14m last year and 16m this year when Romo retired

The dead money is peanuts compared to what his cap hit would've been......19m vs 49m

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Tyron Smith - 10.37%
Dez Bryant - 9.75%
Tyrone Crawford - 5.38%
Jason Witten - 3.84%
Benson Mayowa - 2.27%

Tyron - LOL, he's got one of the team friendliest contracts in the league.

Dez - sucks.

Crawford - PFF ranked him as one of the 5 best players on the Cowboys. He's surprisingly good, and he might get close to $8 mil if he hit the open market.

Witten - we pay a bit of a salary premium, for the benefit of being able to cut him for free at any time. On the whole, it's a good deal for us.

Scandrick - sucks, but he won't be around long.

T-Will - sucks, but he basically signed a 2 year deal. He's gone too.

Mayowa - played above his contract in 2016, played below it in '17. We'll see what he's got in '18.

Overall, I think we are in a pretty good situation financially. Dez is the only contract on our books that stands out to me as being a Really Bad Deal.

Galian Beast

Reaction score

I'd much rather have paid for his salary on the books and had an elite QB on the team. In a 14 year career, Romo never had a single season under 95 qb rating when he played at least 6 games.

Prescott just put out an 86.6... if you really don't think that is an issue you're way out there.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I'd much rather have paid for his salary on the books and had an elite QB on the team. In a 14 year career, Romo never had a single season under 95 qb rating when he played at least 6 games.

Prescott just put out an 86.6... if you really don't think that is an issue you're way out there.

How do you think Tony weathers 8 sacks from his blindside in Atlanta?
Think he runs for 357 yards and 6 tds?

In 2016 Dak matched Tony's best QBR of his career - in 2014. Both 81.5.

Tony was better than Dak in a lot of ways.
Dak was better than Tony in other ways.

And, Dak was better by about 14million ways this season.

It's was a no brainer to let Tony go, save the cap, and develop Dak.

In 2016, I thought they should have gone back to Tony. Give him one last chance, since we had already paid for him that year anyway. If it didn't work out, move on to Dak in 2017.

Going into this season, you could have argued that Tony was still a better than Dak. But you couldn't argue that Tony was 10% of the entire cap better than Dak.

diefree666

Reaction score

In 2016, I thought they should have gone back to Tony. Give him one last chance, since we had already paid for him that year anyway. If it didn't work out, move on to Dak in 2017.

Going into this season, you could have argued that Tony was still a better than Dak. But you couldn't argue that Tony was 10% of the entire cap better than Dak.

and by the end of the season?

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Tyron Smith - 10.37%
Dez Bryant - 9.75%
Tyrone Crawford - 5.38%
Jason Witten - 3.84%
Benson Mayowa - 2.27%

Smith, Witten, and Williams do not belong on that list. Not even close. I would add Byron Jones and Cole Beasley to that list.

Galian Beast

Reaction score

I don't think Romo takes 8 sacks from his blindside, he has better pocket presence than that.

I don't need my QB to run much at all. My preference is that he hardly runs.

QBR? A junk stat.

Dak isn't better than Tony in any meaningful way.

The problem with your analysis is that it doesn't take into account that Romo's dead money is still on the books. It would have been much more beneficial to sit Dak and start Romo while Dak learned and was groomed. We missed the playoffs last year by a couple of games, and if you don't think that Dak and his no touchdown games weren't a factor there, you're not looking. In what was a very QB devoid year we probably would have gone to the Super Bowl this year. Think we could have last year too. I think that's worth 10 percent of the entire cap to me.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I don't think Romo takes 8 sacks from his blindside, he has better pocket presence than that.

I don't need my QB to run much at all. My preference is that he hardly runs.

QBR? A junk stat.

The problem with your analysis is that it doesn't take into account that Romo's dead money is still on the books. It would have been much more beneficial to sit Dak and start Romo while Dak learned and was groomed. We missed the playoffs last year by a couple of games, and if you don't think that Dak and his no touchdown games weren't a factor there, you're not looking. In what was a very QB devoid year we probably would have gone to the Super Bowl this year. Think we could have last year too. I think that's worth 10 percent of the entire cap to me.
Yeah but we went 13-3 without Romo and lost to GB because of our Defense

Dak brought us back twice in the 4th quarter

You whole premise is flawed and crying over spilled milk

DAL saved our 30m against the cap without Romo even with the Dead Money.....it is a non-issue

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

The problem with your analysis is that it doesn't take into account that Romo's dead money is still on the books.

In what was a very QB devoid year we probably would have gone to the Super Bowl this year. Think we could have last year too. I think that's worth 10 percent of the entire cap to me.

1) Dak is younger, stronger, faster, more durable, and 14millon cheaper than Tony. I'd call that a lot of meaningful ways better than Tony.

2) The problem with your analysis is that you don't quite seem to understand that dead cap is *dead*. As in not resurrected by keeping a player on the roster to *add* to his cumulative cap hit.

3) SB last year? This year? Dak simply was not the problem against GB. He had a good game. Tony *might* have been better. Might have been worse. And thinking that we had a shot at the SB this year is simply delusional.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Witten's pro
Yeah but we went 13-3 without Romo and lost to GB because of our Defense

Dak brought us back twice in the 4th quarter

You whole premise is flawed and crying over spilled milk

DAL saved our 30m against the cap without Romo even with the Dead Money.....it is a non-issue

We went 13-3 without Romo against a very soft schedule. We didn't lose to Green Bay because of our defense. We lost to Green Bay because our offense was impotent for a half and that was very much because of Dak Prescott.

The onus of winning games does fall equally on our offense and defense. We have one of the most expensive offenses in the NFL. We can't say the same about our defense. As soon as you pick up on that fact, you realize why the expectations are heavier for the QB of that offense.

Dallas also had a QB who scored no passing touchdowns in 8 games this year who threw for over 300 yards only once in the entire season. Who threw for less than 200 yards in 8 games.