Need to trust Zimmer to fix their run defense

Chasing6

Reaction score
Having a good run defense isn't too difficult. There are many things a DC can do to help out stopping the run. Clearly you can play more men inside the box, play bigger alignments, etc. However, to have an effective run defense cannot be undisciplined, beaten up at the point of attack and tackle poorly.

Yes, we all know there are personnel issues, especially inside at the DT position, but the Edge lineman, including DLaw have struggled against the outside zone runs for years. Our linebackers have really struggled to get off blocks, sure better DT's could help, but they need to be a better job of reading and reacting before a hat gets on them.

Jerry/Stephen have to give Zimmer the necessary resources if he doesn't have the right players to run his scheme. If some veterans continue to struggle with the fundamentals, Zimmer will not put up with it, like Dan Quinn did for years.

Zimmer has a strong track record of having good, disciplined defenses, we have to trust he will find some solutions to least make the run defense hold up.
Not sure it is a coaching issue. It is more of a lack of talent issue.

deerhunter11

Reaction score
Kamara just ran another sweep and is heading for the end zone. Seriously, I agree with you. Lot of young players getting playing time. I agree with Parsons that it was more an effort issue but that’s not only on the players but also the coaches for not getting them ready.
Dallas better bring some Heart with them today ,or it will be another hard game to watch.Dallas made Alvin Kamara look like Jim Brown last week.

kskboys

Reaction score
Not sure it is a coaching issue. It is more of a lack of talent issue.
Yup.

Oh, Zimmer can fix this, no doubt. But to do so he needs to be able to get what he needs, highly drafted DT's. And no, not underachiever/project types like Mazi.

If Zimmer had already been here, we would not have drafted Mazi.

deerhunter11

Reaction score
Move Parsona to LB...

Nobody can beat him to the edge and he is big at LB (250+).
That sounds like something that could definitely help ,let him run sideline to sideline .And rush up the middle and off the edge some,Zimmer must bring his A game today.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
His scheme is far better equipped then Quinn's which left gapping holes when they called those twists/stunts. Clearly Zimmer knows his lack of talent within the interior as the team signed multiple, street fa's to band-aid the position. Our linebackers were suppose to be better this yr, they had a terrible game.
How do you figure this?

Zimmer's run defense the first time he was DC for Dallas broke NFL shame records that still stand today.

And, you saw how great his run defense was against the Saints. It was worse than any we saw from DQ. I'm telling you, you guys are going to miss DQ after this current fail boat of Zimmer runs it's course.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Putting Zim on a one-year deal may have been a good business decision after all. He's already on the hot seat.

kskboys

Reaction score
How do you figure this?

Zimmer's run defense the first time he was DC for Dallas broke NFL shame records that still stand today.

And, you saw how great his run defense was against the Saints. It was worse than any we saw from DQ. I'm telling you, you guys are going to miss DQ after this current fail boat of Zimmer runs it's course.
A D that was falling apart.

And then Zimm proceeded to build the D that led Quincy to the playoffs by being the best D in the NFL.

vig454

Reaction score
I'm willing to sacrifice this season for the sake of Jerry Jones craziness to keep Dak, to finally end.:yourock:

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Well we're in the 3rd game of the season. When is he going to make the changes to fix it? I'm over here yelling to get Micah off the line, they did it for 1 play that worked then back to what doesn't work. Well see this second galf

kskboys

Reaction score
Well we're in the 3rd game of the season. When is he going to make the changes to fix it? I'm over here yelling to get Micah off the line, they did it for 1 play that worked then back to what doesn't work. Well see this second galf
Next draft, if Jerry lets him.

There are no changes available to fix this. Even keeping Hankins would've made a difference, and he's just average to slightly above. The changes were there in FA, we didn't have the salary cap space to sign them.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
How do you figure this?

So far this season I'm spot on with this post. Zimmer is even worse than I feared he would be.

coult44

Reaction score
Having a good run defense isn't too difficult. There are many things a DC can do to help out stopping the run. Clearly you can play more men inside the box, play bigger alignments, etc. However, to have an effective run defense cannot be undisciplined, beaten up at the point of attack and tackle poorly.

Yes, we all know there are personnel issues, especially inside at the DT position, but the Edge lineman, including DLaw have struggled against the outside zone runs for years. Our linebackers have really struggled to get off blocks, sure better DT's could help, but they need to be a better job of reading and reacting before a hat gets on them.

Jerry/Stephen have to give Zimmer the necessary resources if he doesn't have the right players to run his scheme. If some veterans continue to struggle with the fundamentals, Zimmer will not put up with it, like Dan Quinn did for years.

Zimmer has a strong track record of having good, disciplined defenses, we have to trust he will find some solutions to least make the run defense hold up.
He has a strong track record in the old days. He was fired, and this is why.