New 1 WR

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
TWill looked like a #1 WR with 141 yards.

Dez has not looked like a #1 WR all season and has not had 100 yards in a game despite a high number of targets.
Said it since last yr. the offense opened up so much when he was out. The team basically has to designate a certain part of the field for him because he’s not very good when having to going thru another wrs route in the same vicinity. Think Dallas can’t wait to dump him. That’s just a thought I have tho. He’s not worth that salary.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
I'll rewatch before commenting in detail.

In general many un-catchable balls to Dez are due to him running the route incorrectly.
I call BS. Show me some proof and I'll concede it, but I think that's a myth. There was some truth to the route-running incompetence early in his career but he's not the buffoon as a route runner you make him out to be.

Many of the misconnections the past two seasons are on go routes or fades that Dak throws up for grabs (not very well, I might add). They were routes that Tony threw really well - along with back shoulder routes that we don't really run often anymore.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Beware self-actualized viewing. This is a problem with people that have a hot take. i.e. they see the evidence they expect/want to see.
Dez has been charged with only 1 drop in 2017. That's 1 less than either Brice Butler or TWill.
https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys-team-stats?season=2017&week=0&category=RECEIVING

Dez still has the best hands of our outside WRs but he doesn't really get open other than on slants so every catch seems to be highly contested.

The real concern is the targets per completion and total catches metrics.
He has 35 more targets than TWill but only 8 more catches.

We've seen the team without Dez though and it isn't pretty. He still alters defensive game plans.
I've seen those nonsensical stats. I can pull up almost any game and find more than 1 drop by Dez.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At the height of Austin's game, which didn't last long? I probably agree with him. Austin had an incredible burst in and out of his cuts, especially for his size. His hands weren't as good as Dez's, but his ability to gain separation was better. Dez is a different-type receiver who has shown he can excel and be one of the best in the league when Romo was throwing him the ball. I don't think that is coincidental.

You've been very short-sighted on this one IMO, x. When a receiver goes from playing like one of the best to being targeted too much for the production we're getting, either A) his legs have fallen off (which I don't believe is the case), B) the system has changed (which it really hasn't other than the fact we've been running the ball more since 2014, which happened to be one of Dez's best seasons) or C) there's something not working between the QB and receiver. Romo pointed out that the problem is C, which means it's primarily on Dak's shoulders.

Again, that doesn't mean I think Dak is doing poorly at QB. There's just a type of throw that he's not making that Dez excels at catching. Every receiver has his strong suits, their wheelhouses, and Dak just isn't pitching to Dez's.

The good news is that if they can get on that page, this offense becomes even tougher to stop.

Dez got paid. That is the likely reason for the decline.

He was often unfocused, late to meetings, easily distracted during games and difficult to coach BEFORE he got paid.

Wezsh0T

Reaction score
We just drafted one in the 4th round.
Drafting one doesn't mean you got a good one. Switzer did do more intelligent things this week, but he doesn't seem to have the explosiveness of a normal returner or even Lucky Whitehead.

links18

Reaction score
Drafting one doesn't mean you got a good one. Switzer did do more intelligent things this week, but he doesn't seem to have the explosiveness of a normal returner or even Lucky Whitehead.

So we wasted a fourth round pick? Fantastic.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I call BS. Show me some proof and I'll concede it, but I think that's a myth. There was some truth to the route-running incompetence early in his career but he's not the buffoon as a route runner you make him out to be.

Many of the misconnections the past two seasons are on go routes or fades that Dak throws up for grabs (not very well, I might add). They were routes that Tony threw really well - along with back shoulder routes that we don't really run often anymore.

You will have to rewatch the game 2 and make sure he is not making up **** as well.

For example, when arguing with him about Parnell in the preseason several years ago he made this same appeal to authority he is wont to do. On the play in question we were playing the Cardinals and Parnell had stared down an OLB blitz and there was no TE outside of him. X had blamed the OG. Keep in mind that Parnell blocked no one.

The moral of the story is that when he talks about assignments and about how something should have been run as he is doing to you here, there is no reason to take him at his word. His assumptions conveniently always malign the player he has decided to hate.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

Xwalker is absolutely full of crap. It’s comical that he thinks he knows what route Dez should be running.