New 1 WR

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
He was matched against their worst CB, and was given a huge cushion on almost every play.

That always helps, of course but at least, he was able to take advantage of the situation and have a career day. In fairness, I doubt we would have done nearly as well without that being the case. He'll never be a #1 WR but occasionally, there's times when he gets the job done and then some (like yesterday.) Having said that, I wouldn't be surprised if we drafted a WR next year with a fairly high pick (perhaps a #3 or so.)

Last edited:

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
TWill looked like a #1 WR with 141 yards.

Dez has not looked like a #1 WR all season and has not had 100 yards in a game despite a high number of targets.

Did you stick your fingers in your ears while Romo was commenting about Dez? There's a clear disconnect between Dak and Dez and Romo did a great job of explaining it if you were willing to listen.

That being said, if Dak and Dez can't work it out, then I do think he needs to be targeted less on the deep routes and we need to work him over the middle more where Dak can put the ball on him. Dez wins deep by going up and getting the ball, but he can't go up and get it if it's not put where it needs to be put.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
That always helps, of course but at least, he was able to take advantage of the situation and have a career day. In fairness, I doubt we would have done nearly as well without that being the case. He'll never be a #1 WR but occasionally, there's times when he gets the job done and then some (like yesterday.) Having said that, I wouldn't be surprised if we drafted a WR next year with a fairly high pick (perhaps a #3 or so.)

Agreed. Dez just can't consistently get separation anymore, and he's not as good at shielding defenders from the ball as Irvin was.

If he's doubled or ties up the opponent's best CB, so be it; someone else will be open.

links18

Reaction score
Cowboys fans logic "Bro their Bracketing Dez and Bease! and they also have an 8 man box to stop Zeke!!!"

So you have 4 guys keyed into 2 wideouts and a stacked box with 8 guys loaded up? that equals 12 when you can only have 11 men on the field. does not compute

Yeah, except they aren't doing all those things on every play. Hell, all guys aren't even on the field for every play.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Dumbest fanbase in the league.

The fact we had our first 100 yard receiver in 15 weeks yesterday went over the heads of people apparently.

This offense, under Dak, doesn’t rely on pass heavy schemes the way teams like the Pats and Saints traditionally have, where the QBs put up huge numbers (and thereby the receivers do too).

links18

Reaction score

Really? Dumber than knuckle dragging Eagles' fans? Browns? I keep reading this, but don't understand how anyone knows this, unless they spend time on all 32 teams' fan forums.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
TWill looked like a #1 WR with 141 yards.

Dez has not looked like a #1 WR all season and has not had 100 yards in a game despite a high number of targets.
It did appear that way however we are yet to see anyone but Dez draw #1 coverage.
Dez remains a nice possession and red zone threat as he ages but he's lost some speed for sure.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I'd like to see more of Noah Brown going forward.

He's got 1 catch for 13 yards against the Cards.

Who has to be inactive for him to play? I'm not sure, but I'd like to see more playing time for this kid.
Noah Brown has a lot of people to fight through for playing time.
So basically the answer is you wont see him this year unless both Dez and TWill really are hurt.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It did appear that way however we are yet to see anyone but Dez draw #1 coverage.
Dez remains a nice possession and red zone threat as he ages but he's lost some speed for sure.
He has dropped numerous passes that hit his hands. His issues are more than a loss of speed.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Did you stick your fingers in your ears while Romo was commenting about Dez? There's a clear disconnect between Dak and Dez and Romo did a great job of explaining it if you were willing to listen.

That being said, if Dak and Dez can't work it out, then I do think he needs to be targeted less on the deep routes and we need to work him over the middle more where Dak can put the ball on him. Dez wins deep by going up and getting the ball, but he can't go up and get it if it's not put where it needs to be put.
Mike Irvin didn't have special requirements. He just caught the ball.

Did you hear Romo go on about Miles Austin being the best WR he played with?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Funny I was thinking the same about you. Let’s just start with yesterday. How many of those empty targets were legitimately on Dez? Maybe two and that’s assuming he should make the catch w the sun in his eyes and the one where Parker blew him up. An objective observer can’t fault him on the other three missed connections.

But you simply lack the objectivity necessary when it comes to Dez
I'll rewatch before commenting in detail.

In general many un-catchable balls to Dez are due to him running the route incorrectly.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Mike Irvin didn't have special requirements. He just caught the ball.

Did you hear Romo go on about Miles Austin being the best WR he played with?

At the height of Austin's game, which didn't last long? I probably agree with him. Austin had an incredible burst in and out of his cuts, especially for his size. His hands weren't as good as Dez's, but his ability to gain separation was better. Dez is a different-type receiver who has shown he can excel and be one of the best in the league when Romo was throwing him the ball. I don't think that is coincidental.

You've been very short-sighted on this one IMO, x. When a receiver goes from playing like one of the best to being targeted too much for the production we're getting, either A) his legs have fallen off (which I don't believe is the case), B) the system has changed (which it really hasn't other than the fact we've been running the ball more since 2014, which happened to be one of Dez's best seasons) or C) there's something not working between the QB and receiver. Romo pointed out that the problem is C, which means it's primarily on Dak's shoulders.

Again, that doesn't mean I think Dak is doing poorly at QB. There's just a type of throw that he's not making that Dez excels at catching. Every receiver has his strong suits, their wheelhouses, and Dak just isn't pitching to Dez's.

The good news is that if they can get on that page, this offense becomes even tougher to stop.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
He has dropped numerous passes that hit his hands. His issues are more than a loss of speed.
Beware self-actualized viewing. This is a problem with people that have a hot take. i.e. they see the evidence they expect/want to see.
Dez has been charged with only 1 drop in 2017. That's 1 less than either Brice Butler or TWill.
https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys-team-stats?season=2017&week=0&category=RECEIVING

Dez still has the best hands of our outside WRs but he doesn't really get open other than on slants so every catch seems to be highly contested.

The real concern is the targets per completion and total catches metrics.
He has 35 more targets than TWill but only 8 more catches.

We've seen the team without Dez though and it isn't pretty. He still alters defensive game plans.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score

The fact we had our first 100 yard receiver in 15 weeks yesterday went over the heads of people apparently.

This offense, under Dak, doesn’t rely on pass heavy schemes the way teams like the Pats and Saints traditionally have, where the QBs put up huge numbers (and thereby the receivers do too).

Dumbest fans? I’d say any fans left in Cleveland must be brain dead.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
At the height of Austin's game, which didn't last long? I probably agree with him. Austin had an incredible burst in and out of his cuts, especially for his size. His hands weren't as good as Dez's, but his ability to gain separation was better. Dez is a different-type receiver who has shown he can excel and be one of the best in the league when Romo was throwing him the ball. I don't think that is coincidental.

You've been very short-sighted on this one IMO, x. When a receiver goes from playing like one of the best to being targeted too much for the production we're getting, either A) his legs have fallen off (which I don't believe is the case), B) the system has changed (which it really hasn't other than the fact we've been running the ball more since 2014, which happened to be one of Dez's best seasons) or C) there's something not working between the QB and receiver. Romo pointed out that the problem is C, which means it's primarily on Dak's shoulders.

Again, that doesn't mean I think Dak is doing poorly at QB. There's just a type of throw that he's not making that Dez excels at catching. Every receiver has his strong suits, their wheelhouses, and Dak just isn't pitching to Dez's.

The good news is that if they can get on that page, this offense becomes even tougher to stop.
Austin didn't compare to Bryant's peak 2012-2014 seasons.
But Miles was more naturally gifted having truly elite speed, great height and long arms on a solid frame.
He simply had to learn to play the position and then stay healthy so his games played at 100% peak were very, very few.
Dez was a natural WR with great leaping ability and hands. Elite power.
But his speed has fallen off (he's a large man and is 29) and he isn't as in sync with all the play action stuff as he was with Romo.
And yes, this is a very, very different offense.
It's not just more run heavy, it is run-based.
We used to run the least play action in the entire league at Dez peak.
Changed OCs and began to run it quite a lot.
Added Dak and the QB run became a threat as well.