Twitter: New catch rule going into effect

Beaker42

Reaction score
Too late for us but the controversy the Dez catch created did some good in helping to get the rule changed.

I’d rather the cause be a team other than the Cowboys next time. And the next. And the time after that.

Suck it NFL.

blindzebra

Reaction score
Is your name percy? I asked him a question that I'm seeking an answer for. He doesn't need his parrots, lemmings, and chameleons (liars to the lay person) answering for him. He posts better than them all anyway.
Aw yes, faced with proof and you resort to insults.

So I will take this to mean you are afraid to address it because it is proof.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Aw yes, faced with proof and you resort to insults.

So I will take this to mean you are afraid to address it because it is proof.

Proof? The rulebook is proof, which is what I asked about. So if you're done trying to creatively run interference for your leader, maybe he'll return to answer the same simple yes/no question that all catch theorists avoid.

blindzebra

Reaction score
Proof? The rulebook is proof, which is what I asked about. So if you're done trying to creatively run interference for your leader, maybe he'll return to answer the same simple yes/no question that all catch theorists avoid.
LOL, no you didn't.

But you didn't answer my question. Do you have support outside of CowboysZone and other associated Cowboys fan blogger sites, etc. that there was a "huge change" to the rule from 2014 to 2015 in the manner you speak of? I just posted support that says it didn't change.

Not one word about rule book. So explain the changes from 2013 to 2015 and beyond. Explain why a case play that contradicts 2015 Item 1 is there with actual rule support. Explain why the 2013 Thomas play was a catch and the 2017 James play wasn't.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Again, back to the video you posted, Blandino gives the exact same explanation in describing Johnson's no catch. It's consistent.
Yes, it's exactly the same. Blandino's explanation of Johnson's no catch in the 2013 video tutorial "Explaining the Calvin Johnson Rule" is consistent with his explanation on the day of the overturn. If Dez's reach had been obvious enough, that act common to the game would have completed the catch process while the player was falling.

You described the difference between the rule in 2013-14, and the rule as it is now, which says that the player has to complete the catch process while upright.

You described how the rule changed.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Yes, it's exactly the same. Blandino's explanation of Johnson's no catch in the 2013 video tutorial "Explaining the Calvin Johnson Rule" is consistent with his explanation on the day of the overturn. If Dez's reach had been obvious enough, that act common to the game would have completed the catch process while the player was falling.

You described the difference between the rule in 2013-14, and the rule as it is now, which says that the player has to complete the catch process while upright.

You described how the rule changed.

So again, you haven't answered my question. Where is your additional support for your theory that the rule changed in its essence from 2014 to 2015? This stuff says otherwise. Does someone else out there see what you think you see?

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/...anges-and-points-of-emphasis-to-watch-in-2015
"Let's be clear. The rule that disallowed an apparent catch by Dallas Cowboys receiver Dez Bryant in the NFC divisional playoffs, and another by Detroit Lions receiver Calvin Johnson in 2009, remains unchanged in substance. The NFL did modify its wording, however, in hopes of making the rule make more sense to players, fans and media members in cases where a player is falling while in the process of making a catch."

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2...hange-catch-rule-after-dez-bryant-controversy
"To put it bluntly, the rule itself has not changed."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...rule-and-it-might-actually-be-more-confusing/
"The interesting part here is that Dez Bryant's no-catch, the thing that sparked the rule change, would still be a no-catch under the new rule."​

mrmojo

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It's funny that it takes a call going against the Steelers for the rule to change.....should have never been an issue in the first place.

blindzebra

Reaction score
So again, you haven't answered my question. Where is your additional support for your theory that the rule changed in its essence from 2014 to 2015? This stuff says otherwise. Does someone else out there see what you think you see?

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/...anges-and-points-of-emphasis-to-watch-in-2015
"Let's be clear. The rule that disallowed an apparent catch by Dallas Cowboys receiver Dez Bryant in the NFC divisional playoffs, and another by Detroit Lions receiver Calvin Johnson in 2009, remains unchanged in substance. The NFL did modify its wording, however, in hopes of making the rule make more sense to players, fans and media members in cases where a player is falling while in the process of making a catch."

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2...hange-catch-rule-after-dez-bryant-controversy
"To put it bluntly, the rule itself has not changed."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...rule-and-it-might-actually-be-more-confusing/
"The interesting part here is that Dez Bryant's no-catch, the thing that sparked the rule change, would still be a no-catch under the new rule."​
What does press release mean? Your so-called support is nothing more than recapping the NFL's press release. These are not independent rule experts these are reporters telling readers what the NFL said.:facepalm:

MarcusRock

Reaction score
What does press release mean? Your so-called support is nothing more than recapping the NFL's press release. These are not independent rule experts these are reporters telling readers what the NFL said.:facepalm:

I quoted the authors' own words. None of them state "The NFL said ..." or quote "sources" like in articles where they have nothing concrete to go on. They used their own words meaning they're on the record if those words turn out to be untrue. As I asked already, what do any of you have outside of your own creation that what these authors say is untrue? Did any other outlets fact check these articles? Where are they? What else do any of you have to support your falsehood that the rules changed in essence from 2014 to 2015? Everything else says they didn't. Any other boondoggles to distract from not having an answer?

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Calling it now...this is the NFL... run by lawyers. They will still get it wrong. Mark my words. When has a lawyer ever got anything right? And not made it more complicated than it had to be?

The 2018 season is just gonna be a complete joke. Looks like it's time to find a new sport or hobby...:popcorn:

blindzebra

Reaction score
I quoted the authors' own words. None of them state "The NFL said ..." or quote "sources" like in articles where they have nothing concrete to go on. They used their own words meaning they're on the record if those words turn out to be untrue. As I asked already, what do any of you have outside of your own creation that what these authors say is untrue? Did any other outlets fact check these articles? Where are they? What else do any of you have to support your falsehood that the rules changed in essence from 2014 to 2015? Everything else says they didn't. Any other boondoggles to distract from not having an answer?
From the CBS article:
When the NFL announced in March that it was going to tweak the rules for what constitutes a catch, the league didn't say exactly what that tweak was going to be.

Under the old rule, a player had to make a "football move" before the refs would rule that something close to a catch was actually a catch and not an incomplete pass.

Under the new rule, all a player has to do is "clearly establish himself as a runner."

Got it?

It's OK if you don't have it because former NFL VP of officiating Mike Pereira took some time on Twitter this week to explain the newly written rule.

From ESPN article:

Here is how the league explained the change to players via video presentation.

The mothership article:
NFL vice president of officiating Dean Blandino, along with several other members of the NFL Competition Committee, spoke at length to reporters Monday at the NFL Annual Meetings.

Not buying the BS. Those are nothing more than articles telling what the NFL put out.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
From the CBS article:
When the NFL announced in March that it was going to tweak the rules for what constitutes a catch, the league didn't say exactly what that tweak was going to be.

Under the old rule, a player had to make a "football move" before the refs would rule that something close to a catch was actually a catch and not an incomplete pass.

Under the new rule, all a player has to do is "clearly establish himself as a runner."

Got it?

It's OK if you don't have it because former NFL VP of officiating Mike Pereira took some time on Twitter this week to explain the newly written rule.

From ESPN article:

Here is how the league explained the change to players via video presentation.

The mothership article:
NFL vice president of officiating Dean Blandino, along with several other members of the NFL Competition Committee, spoke at length to reporters Monday at the NFL Annual Meetings.

Not buying the BS. Those are nothing more than articles telling what the NFL put out.

Where does any of that prove that I didn't directly quote each of those articles' authors giving their own words?

When you're spending more time trying to pick apart articles I've produced instead of producing your own to back your case like I have repeatedly asked stretching back weeks now, it's probably because you have no articles and no case.