New Cowboys Controversy

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
TheCount;3055698 said:
"No, it's cool. I've totally got black friends!" :laugh2:

The whole thing is pretty silly. I'd like to say I don't understand the big deal, but I'm not even sure it's being made a big deal out of.

It's only a big deal from the standpoint that a local Dallas CBS affiliate did an actual story on it complete with interviews of fans at Cowboys Stadium. It's also being discussed on several blogs across the web. Hopefully, the Cowboys won't dismiss the young lady just to save face. Whether you have a problem with what she did or not, it is negative publicity for the organization.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
DCBoysfan;3055724 said:
It looks like she is just portraying a rapper who is African American, but I can see how it can offend some people, even though without speaking with her and I dont think that was her intent, preception of black face can be very offending to some people.

what do you mean, "some people"?:mad:

aikemirv

Reaction score
rocyaice;3055723 said:
What is the difference? You don't think when people were painting themselves black with shoe polish in the 1920's that they didn't have a specific person in mind when they were doing so?

Well by the nonchalant attitude that people are having on this issue I would say we've evolved passed history. Apparently its become acceptable to paint yourself black and it deserves a "yawn".

The difference is that if I am dressing up as a specific person I am not demeaning their skin color at all, I am trying to look like them. If she was dressing as a generic gang banger I could see an issue.

If a black person tried to look like Lil' Wayne would you have a problem with it?

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;3055720 said:
IF the person you are trying to impersonate dresses that way then yes, I'm being serious. If you have a problem with the way they are being portrayed, I would suggest you tell THEM to stop portraying themeslves that way. Seems you don't have a problem with they way they look, just that someone would have the audacity to dress up like a famous person who looks that way.

That's just the height of idiocy.

I think you may be making the issue a little more complicated than it is. The issue isn't her dressing up like Wayne, it's that she painted herself brown. The costume would have worked just the same without it, in my opinion. I wouldn't have guessed she was Lil Wayne with the brown skin or without it.

I have a white friend that dressed up as Eazy E for Halloween, didn't have to paint himself brown to do it and it was a hit. Not everyone knew who he was since not everyone knows who the person is, and I'm pretty sure no more people would have guessed correctly if he painted himself.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
rocyaice;3055693 said:
Let me tell you what people see when they look at her. They see every single black stereotype there is. From the diamond teeth, to the wife beater to the hat, to the tattoo's? Its just tasteless. And then to paint yourself black? That's where the controversy is. I'm not sayiing we should be in a uproar about it but I am a bit shocked by the nonchalant attitude people are giving this. But I can't say that i'm shocked. Some don't know the history.

Sorry it is not a stereotype if it portrays him in the same way he portrays himself, it is just a good characterization of lil wayne

lil-wayne-baby.png
LilWayne_115606_08062008.jpg

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Boyzmamacita;3055715 said:
I really don't consider what she did to be "blackface." When I think of blackface, I think of the black shoe polish look with the white lips that they depicted in mintrel shows. This young lady put on brown makeup to make herself look more like L'il Wayne. I believe she meant no harm, but I understand the slight uproar. Some do not distinguish between blackface and the brown makeup the cheerleader wore. I do.

Its not just about the fact she painted herself black. If you look at the picture she's enforcing every single stereotype that black people every day try their hardest to break.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
aikemirv;3055739 said:
The difference is that if I am dressing up as a specific person I am not demeaning their skin color at all, I am trying to look like them. If she was dressing as a generic gang banger I could see an issue.

If a black person tried to look like Lil' Wayne would you have a problem with it?

I wonder if he'd have a problem with a black person dressing up as a famous white person and putting on white make up?

Or maybe this..

white-chicks.jpg

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;3055737 said:
what do you mean, "some people"?:mad:

;)I'm black, so I chose to use some people, as oppose to other African Americans because some non-African Americans could also be offended.;)

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
TheCount;3055741 said:
I think you may be making the issue a little more complicated than it is. The issue isn't her dressing up like Wayne, it's that she painted herself brown. The costume would have worked just the same without it, in my opinion. I wouldn't have guessed she was Lil Wayne with the brown skin or without it.

I have a white friend that dressed up as Eazy E for Halloween, didn't have to paint himself brown to do it and it was a hit. Not everyone knew who he was since not everyone knows who the person is, and I'm pretty sure no more people would have guessed correctly if he painted himself.

I am not the one making this more complicated. So she tried to be as close to exact as she could. Suppose it was a costume contest and she was going for the authentic award? :D

Spectre

Reaction score
She should be ashamed...

for dressing up like that joke-of-an-artist Lil Wayne.

Dude is a clown. And an idiot. And talentless.

Did I mention clown?

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
rocyaice;3055747 said:
Its not just about the fact she painted herself black. If you look at the picture she's enforcing every single stereotype that black people every day try their hardest to break.

Actually she's enforcing every single stereotype that L'il Wayne presents every day. Was it in poor taste? With the history of this nation, I would say yes, but I bet she didn't even know it until now. I say, give her a pass. I'm sure she has learned a lesson.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
BigDFan5;3055745 said:
Sorry it is not a stereotype if it portrays him in the same way he portrays himself, it is just a good characterization of lil wayne

lil-wayne-baby.png

I'm well aware of Lil' Wayne's appearance but it doesn't escape the fact that its offensive. Offensive to me? Not so much. But I replied to this thread understanding why their is controversy. You just can't do things like this. I know you can justify it. I know you can post up pictures of black people dressed like her. But not is acceptable about the way Lil' Wayne portrays himself.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
rocyaice;3055747 said:

I would say Lil Wayne is enforcing them, not her.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
rocyaice;3055693 said:
Her intentions weren't malicious I don't think but it doesn't matter. She went out of her way to make herself black. That's where the controversy is at. You just can't do that. Even in 2009. Its not about imitating to be a rapper. If it was Eminem she was portraying there would be no problem.

Let me tell you what people see when they look at her. They see every single black stereotype there is. From the diamond teeth, to the wife beater to the hat, to the tattoo's? Its just tasteless. And then to paint yourself black? That's where the controversy is. I'm not sayiing we should be in a uproar about it but I am a bit shocked by the nonchalant attitude people are giving this. But I can't say that i'm shocked. Some don't know the history.

Or maybe we do know and we've just moved past it.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
rocyaice;3055723 said:
What is the difference? You don't think when people were painting themselves black with shoe polish in the 1920's that they didn't have a specific person in mind when they were doing so?

No, I don't think they were thinking one person at all.

It was directed towards black stereotypes as a whole. It was vicious, mean-spirited, ignorant and showed ones bigotry.

Well by the nonchalant attitude that people are having on this issue I would say we've evolved passed history. Apparently its become acceptable to paint yourself black and it deserves a "yawn".

Thank heaven for that. Maybe we are evolving past the hatred and bigotry when "hatred and bigotry" is not the first thing we think of.

I don't feel this girl had any bigotry in her heart at all, nor in her choice of halloween costume.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
BigDFan5;3055745 said:

lil-wayne-baby.png

He "portrays" himself a lot of ways.

medium_LILWAYNE29.JPG

293.lil.wayne.102208.jpg

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cajuncowboy;3055749 said:
I wonder if he'd have a problem with a black person dressing up as a famous white person and putting on white make up?

Or maybe this..

white-chicks.jpg

Although I am not offended by what she did, I must say there is history behind blackface and none whatsoever behind whiteface. Just sayin.'

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Boyzmamacita;3055761 said:
Actually she's enforcing every single stereotype that L'il Wayne presents every day. Was it in poor taste? With the history of this nation, I would say yes, but I bet she didn't even know it until now. I say, give her a pass. I'm sure she has learned a lesson.

Ayyyy i'm not calling for her to be fired. I hope the NAACP and other black activists don't get involved. There are bigger and more important issues going on in this country. But I am glad she's received some form of criticism for these actions so that people including herself won't make the same mistake again.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
Boyzmamacita;3055772 said:
Although I am not offended by what she did, I must say there is history behind blackface and none whatsoever behind whiteface. Just sayin.'

Agreed. And we've moved beyond that. At least some have.