New HC Meetings Happening!

RodeoJake

Reaction score
Some people don't understand getting same ol same ol run downs,has beens and never was type coaches that litter NFL right now.

P.S. having NFL coaching experience is overrated IMO. Needs new blood and creativity. These college coaches have to deal with losing old talent and getting new talent everyday.nothing to sneeze at if they do it well. Urban Meyer has

Since Jimmy Johnson, which college coaches without any type of NFL experience have succeeded?

I don't want a retread either. A coordinator with success in the league would be my preference.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
I was listening to 105.3 the Fan and they had Jane Slater on and she shared that Stephen has had meetings with Urban Meyer, Lincoln Riley, and Tony Elliot.

She said she still believes JG will be a HC for another team in the league but that the writing is on the wall.

Just wanted to share!

please giants , please giants , please giants , please giants .

Reaction score
Meyer left OSU because of the stress. Doubt he thinks the NFL Is easier. Still, we need an experienced NFL assistant who is a tough disciplinarian. JG is too soft, & let the inmates run the asylum. Obviously, the dysfunction lies at the top, though. Until Jerry gets retired or institutionalized, this team will never see another ring.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Worst special teams in the NFL and a weak defense, but what we really need is a QB whisperer. Can't wait to see Riley beat Iowa State 42-41 and lose to Kansas State 48-41. We've already got that kind of defense. :muttley:

As for Meyer, he's elevated every team he coached. They all got better. Two of them won national titles.

Riley was handed an already established program and still hasn't won anything.

Riley is a brilliant play designer but I think he does potentially have a lot of coaching deficiencies that we don't get to see because he gets to beat up on bad teams every week.

Lincoln Riley would be a fantastic get and would be entertaining but I think Urban Meyer is a better fit for the Pro Game with all of the information we have.

cern

Reaction score
Since Jimmy Johnson, which college coaches without any type of NFL experience have succeeded?

I don't want a retread either. A coordinator with success in the league would be my preference.
jimmy was a certifiable genius (IQ). it is unfair to compare him to the more mundane coaches in the league.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I was listening to 105.3 the Fan and they had Jane Slater on and she shared that Stephen has had meetings with Urban Meyer, Lincoln Riley, and Tony Elliot.

She said she still believes JG will be a HC for another team in the league but that the writing is on the wall.

Just wanted to share!
so it sounds like we are going the college route....the next two years are shot...no superbowls….

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
So if this is happening whats the point in keeping Garret till the end of the year? So Jerry doesn't upset him?
So garret has to know if he doesn't make it to the SB he's done, especially if all these reports are out there.
We are still in contention, this team needs a spark. Jerry is willing to sacrifice the season then i guess.

As for Meyer, the health thing is definitely a concern. Its either gonna be really bad or really good. He'd have zeke in his corner right away at least, thats a positive.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score

I understand you're line of thinking I do but also think of how many retreads, coordinators, and assistant coaches with experience have failed since then also, many more I'm sure. So it's a wash I think.

HanD

Reaction score
As much as I like this, what about DC and OC? Moore might stay, but Richard or Rod are going to be fired. What will we do about them? What about ST coordinator? We have a lot of coach hunting to do.

riley with ron rivera as DC would be my dream scenario. i'd be willing to try alex grinch too as a package deal.

otherwise gimme urban meyer.

RodeoJake

Reaction score
jimmy was a certifiable genius (IQ). it is unfair to compare him to the more mundane coaches in the league.

My point is, college coaches without NFL experience don't do well at this level.

ZekeTrain

Reaction score
Meyer is the only on that list with the clout to have Jerry respect him. He has won and won big. My fear is that unless we get someone who is big time that Jerry will just have a new puppet.

JustChip

Reaction score
See what losing does for us guys? KEEP LOSING! KEEP IT GOING!
I HATE, HATE, HATE losing. I want to win out & win the Division. The alternative is to have the Eagles win it and then have to listen to those mouthy fans the whole off-season.

This team isn’t going anywhere in the playoffs so I don’t think winning the Division will enable Jerry to keep the status quo. The Rubicon has been crossed.

Now, should by some miracle, and it would take a miracle, this team gets to the SB, or even the NFCG, Jerry would largely keep the status quo. Maybe just some adjustments to coordinators (like Marinelli, puuuleeeeeze). But I’m ok with that - my priority is to win, period.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
I still don't understand this interest in Urban Meyer. The guy is sleezy. Covered up domestic violence for his coach for years. What the.....?

I would love to see Riley here, especially since we're likely stuck with Dak. He did wonders with Baker, Kyler, and Hurts, so maybe he's the quarterback whisperer we need for Dak.
They said the same thing about Jimmy Johnson in Miami but Tex Schramm and Gil Brandt had conversations with him to replace Tom Landry before Jerry Jones bought the team.
https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/16234430

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Just wanted to share!
No ill will towards Garrett, hope he lands another gig.
Just don't want him coaching America's team