New Star Wars trailer

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
I said SOME of it is nostalgia. I don't even see how that's debatable, there are plenty of things I'm nostalgic about from my childhood that I probably wouldn't be into today. I don't know why so many people thing nostalgia is a bad thing.

The examples you gave are compelling only because we know the context. There are moment in the prequels as well - for example, Obi and Anakin's final exchange where Anakin screams "I hate you!" at the one person that defended him at all turns and Obi replies "I loved you."

I definitely appreciate the Prequels for piecing together a puzzle from my childhood. And unlike many, I didn't mind II & III. The end of III was what I was waiting for for a long, long time.

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
After watching III, I always wondered if it would have been better to see Anakin's reaction to Padame's (Sp?) death before being "suited up" rather than after and the "NooooOooOoOooo" reaction.

Seems to me it would have and the whole suiting up would signal his full transformation to the Dark Side.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Clearly you are getting what I'm saying.

Yes, indeed. The "context" is super important for those things to be significant. Obviously. Goes without saying.

The prequels can be looked at in a nostalgic way.... They are in our past. Problem is, again... There's nothing notable in those 1-2-3 movies that can be worthy of reminiscing nostalgically.

For me, I can watch those movies and get taken back yo that time and still enjoy them as I did when they forst came out.

Anakin and Obi. Never was believable to me.
Qui Jon and Obi wan too.

We disagree. No biggie. Everyone sees things differently.

The prequels were a mess.

I agree that they were a mess, I'm definitely not saying they were good movies but I can see past George Lucas to the characters and still get what the goal was - as I said, a better director could really have done something good with that setup.

Personally, there are still moments for me:
  • Getting to see Yoda fight (I know some people hate it) but I enjoyed it a lot
  • The origins of Palpatine (even if it was the abridged version)
  • The aforementioned exchange between an Almost-Vader Anakin and Obi, which explains why a ghost-Obi might be steadfast that Anakin is in fact dead even if he knows better.
  • Darth Maul vs Qui Gon & Obi saber duel was epic, and I don't mean just from the sense of the special effects - you really got to see how all three of them differed in temperament, style and philosophy. Seeing Maul pace like a caged animal while Qui Gon recenters himself while they are separated briefly, for example.
  • Getting to see the politics in play, even if Lucas simplified things to an absurd level
  • A further definition of the roles the Jedi played in the universe and why the Sith exist as a counterpoint other than to just be "the bad guys".
Honestly, if done right, I could watch a Star Wars spin-off that was primarily focused on galactic politics - but maybe that has already been done with Battlestar Galactica.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
After watching III, I always wondered if it would have been better to see Anakin's reaction to Padame's (Sp?) death before being "suited up" rather than after and the "NooooOooOoOooo" reaction.

Seems to me it would have and the whole suiting up would signal his full transformation to the Dark Side.

I agree, it would have been better before and then seeing him give himself over - body & soul - to the dark side.

The idea that he was redeemable once he had the suit on, if not for The Emperor's final manipulation, is a bit silly. He was long gone.

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
This one looks promising after the disappointing prequels.

Incidentally, has anyone read the novels? Are they any good?

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
This one looks promising after the disappointing prequels.

Incidentally, has anyone read the novels? Are they any good?

It seems like much of the backstory and history of the Star Wars universe has been defined in the novels, so they are probably worth reading.

I haven't read any personally, however. I wouldn't even know where to start.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
People who want more in depth story for Episodes 4-6, should get the Star Wars radio dramas.

"An expanded radio dramatization of the original Star Wars trilogy was produced in 1981, 1983, and 1996. The first two radio series, based on Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back, were produced and broadcast by National Public Radio as part of NPR Playhouse. A dramatization of Return of the Jedi was produced by most of the same team and also broadcast on NPR.

The radio serials were made with the full co-operation of George Lucas, who for one dollar each sold the rights to KUSC-FM, the public radio affiliate at his alma mater, the University of Southern California. Lucas also allowed the use of original sound effects and music from the films."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_(radio)

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
I agree that they were a mess, I'm definitely not saying they were good movies but I can see past George Lucas to the characters and still get what the goal was - as I said, a better director could really have done something good with that setup.

Personally, there are still moments for me:

1. Getting to see Yoda fight (I know some people hate it) but I enjoyed it a lot

2. The origins of Palpatine (even if it was the abridged version)

3. The aforementioned exchange between an Almost-Vader Anakin and Obi, which explains why a ghost-Obi might be steadfast that Anakin is in fact dead even if he knows better.

4. Darth Maul vs Qui Gon & Obi saber duel was epic, and I don't mean just from the sense of the special effects - you really got to see how all three of them differed in temperament, style and philosophy. Seeing Maul pace like a caged animal while Qui Gon recenters himself while they are separated briefly, for example.

5.Getting to see the politics in play, even if Lucas simplified things to an absurd level

6. A further definition of the roles the Jedi played in the universe and why the Sith exist as a counterpoint other than to just be "the bad guys".

Honestly, if done right, I could watch a Star Wars spin-off that was primarily focused on galactic politics - but maybe that has already been done with Battlestar Galactica.

1. Yah, I hated it. Jumping and the light saber. Just didn't work for me... Lol
2. Yes, interesting. Abridged did hurt it. Nice deception though.
3. Hmmm... Elaborate please?
4. I did enjoy it. 2 vs 1 was interesting. Splitting the duel light saber and then the kill was cool.
5. Agreed.
6. A little too organized and simple. Agreed.

BG has done it.. That's true.

If Star Wars went in deep like Gotham. It could work.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
1. Yah, I hated it. Jumping and the light saber. Just didn't work for me... Lol
2. Yes, interesting. Abridged did hurt it. Nice deception though.
3. Hmmm... Elaborate please?
4. I did enjoy it. 2 vs 1 was interesting. Splitting the duel light saber and then the kill was cool.
5. Agreed.
6. A little too organized and simple. Agreed.

BG has done it.. That's true.

If Star Wars went in deep like Gotham. It could work.

"Jumping and the lightsaber" is part of the Star Wars canon, that's the style Yoda used - they didn't just think it'd be a cool thing to throw in. It's fine if it didn't work for you, I'm just saying he fought like that because it's been defined as his fighting style.

I actually haven't seen Gotham yet, need to get caught up.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
"Jumping and the lightsaber" is part of the Star Wars canon, that's the style Yoda used - they didn't just think it'd be a cool thing to throw in. It's fine if it didn't work for you, I'm just saying he fought like that because it's been defined as his fighting style.

I actually haven't seen Gotham yet, need to get caught up.

Cool. Didn't know yoda could bust a move. Lol

Gotham has taken such a deep approach. Written like the sopranos, ray donovan, house of cards-like.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Cool. Didn't know yoda could bust a move. Lol

Gotham has taken such a deep approach. Written like the sopranos, ray donovan, house of cards-like.

Yoda was one of the best move-busters in the entire Star Wars universe. :laugh:

I'll have to check it out, thanks for the tip.

arglebargle

Reaction score
Lucas was too exalted by the time he made the prequels. He needed an intervention from the cast/crew, but no one was brave enough to do it when it mattered. There's a few other issues going on there where I don't think he really wanted to make the movies, but was too proud to let someone else do it.

I'd still like to see Spielberg get a crack at one of these new movies.

Yeah, Lucas surrounded himself with sycophants and brown nosers, and no one was interested in rocking the apple cart. Lucas was best at big visuals, ie, Star Destroyer entrance, spaceship chases, etc. He was not good at dialogue, writing, etc. He also would make one or two runs at a scene, and decide that it was 'good enough'. Sadly, the Red Letter Media dismemberment review of The Phantom Menace pointed out a number of bits from behind the scenes shooting, where Lucas questioned whether what they were doing was good. He had some inkling of the failure of vision. But all the hangers on were telling him it was great.

Once the original trilogy was done, Lucas really hasn't produce anything of note.

arglebargle

Reaction score
It seems like much of the backstory and history of the Star Wars universe has been defined in the novels, so they are probably worth reading.

I haven't read any personally, however. I wouldn't even know where to start.

My favorites are Zahn, Stackpole, and Allston. Stackpole and Allston tend towards the style of military fiction, with Allston being more humorous. They also don't tend to feature the characters from the main movies as much.

I'd avoid Kevin J. Anderson (nice guy, but poor, perfunctory writer) and Wolverton (really bad, does not get it). There are some other stinkers in there, but most got flushed out after a book or two. Early on, Lucasfilm didn't pay much attention to the novels, so some real drek got through.

DanteEXT

Reaction score
Yeah, Lucas surrounded himself with sycophants and brown nosers, and no one was interested in rocking the apple cart. Lucas was best at big visuals, ie, Star Destroyer entrance, spaceship chases, etc. He was not good at dialogue, writing, etc. He also would make one or two runs at a scene, and decide that it was 'good enough'. Sadly, the Red Letter Media dismemberment review of The Phantom Menace pointed out a number of bits from behind the scenes shooting, where Lucas questioned whether what they were doing was good. He had some inkling of the failure of vision. But all the hangers on were telling him it was great.

Once the original trilogy was done, Lucas really hasn't produce anything of note.

Temple of Doom, Last Crusade? Had a hand in Willow and I really enjoyed Radioland Murders.

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
Temple of Doom, Last Crusade? Had a hand in Willow and I really enjoyed Radioland Murders.

His directing credits leave a lot to be desired. After THX, American Graffiti, & Star Wars.... All he's done is the new trilogy.... which were underwhelming from a directing standpoint. Not to mention being the exec on "Crystal Skull", and demanding that Ford and Spielburg adhere to that horrible script...both did not want to do that film. There was a better script out there for that film... but as the exec, Lucas pulled the strings.

Frank Darabont’s Lost Indiana Jones Script
Darabont finished his script toward the end of 2003 and presented it to Steven Spielberg. Spielberg, who thought up the story concept for the fourth film, loved the script. George Lucas, however, who created Indiana Jones, didn’t like it.
http://community.digitalmediaacademy.org/15553-frank-darabonts-lost-indiana-jones-script

khurt

Reaction score
ab909f6a-23a2-4846-919a-5ecab3f83d741.jpg

When you go back and look at some of his old quotes, it's like he's not even the same person.

And, even back in the day, he didn't exactly have a spotless track record:

1163736.png

If George Lucas could go back in time to the 70s and re-create Star Wars exactly as he wanted, the movie would almost certainly suffer for it. That says something about the value of the contributions from the rest of the crew/actors. This was missing on the prequels.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
Spoiler of sorts.
The Young lady in the trailer is Jacine Solo.
The young man in the mask is Jason Solo.
They are twins.