Draft Day ***NFL Draft Day Three thread***

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This team looks better than it was last year. It improved at receiver with the trade for Brandin Cooks. It improved at cornerback with the trade for Stephon Gilmore. It improved at DT by drafting Mazi Smith, if only against the run. May be better at tight end.

Offensive line is about the same, with Edoga replacing McGovern's roster spot. Quarterback is the same. Defensive end is the same (since I think Fehoko will be a rush tackle). Linebacker may be improved with the addition of Overshown. Safety is about the same

Running back is questionable, although at the end of the year Elliott wasn't better than signing Jones II for cheap. Kicker is questionable, but we could re-sign Maher.
It’s also a long way until opening day giving the team ample time to strengthen the team.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Eagles were in the superbowl last year and 10 points away from hoisting up another superbowl trophy.

All of their draft picks may not pan out but they have an AGGRESSIVE approach towards team building and the results show. They went from being our punching bag to being in the superbowl. Meanwhile, we are cruising along in mediocrity with 2nd round as our ceiling.
They are, but they had to be. They lost one of last year's best DTs in Javon Hargrave. They let their Pro Bowl running back (Miles Sanders) go in free agency. They lost linebackers T.J. Edwards and Kyzir White. They lost backup tackle Andre Dillard and guard Isaac Seumalo. The lost key DB pickup C.J. Gardner-Johnson.

Some key players from that Super Bowl team are gone. They seem to be working to replace them, but who knows how that will turn out. The replacements could turn out to be better, but there's a higher bar for them than say us getting Mazi Smith to replace Carlos Watkins.

Jimbo123

Reaction score
All they think about is filling spots, who cares about the quality. This is all due to job security for them. The Eagle GM has more urgency because his job is on the line. Same for some of the other front offices. wow, what a concept.
Howie's job is not on the line..LOL

Carson

Reaction score
The scar tissue from the past is real. Nobody the Cowboys take can escape the associative pessimism.
I don’t think that’s true. I feel there were other picks people would’ve been happy with

Nolan Smith
O’Cyrus Torrence
Darnell Washington
Tyler Lacy

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
They are, but they had to be. They lost one of last year's best DTs in Javon Hargrave. They let their Pro Bowl running back (Miles Sanders) go in free agency. They lost linebackers T.J. Edwards and Kyzir White. They lost backup tackle Andre Dillard and guard Isaac Seumalo. The lost key DB pickup C.J. Gardner-Johnson.

Some key players from that Super Bowl team are gone. They seem to be working to replace them, but who knows how that will turn out. The replacements could turn out to be better, but there's a higher bar for them than say us getting Mazi Smith to replace Carlos Watkins.
Well the Eagles drafted them they will all be in the Rookie player of the year race of course.

gimmesix

Reaction score
It’s also a long way until opening day giving the team ample time to strengthen the team.
I wouldn't expect us to do much in FA other than maybe re-signing Maher and possibly Zeke. Dallas usually likes to wait to see what it has in camp and then maybe make a move near the end of camp if they feel like a position isn't working out as well as they hoped.

Cumart21

Reaction score

And they lost both Coordinators

gimmesix

Reaction score
If it weren't for Cooks and Gilmore we wouldn't have to wait this long to pick.
True. And we could get that running back and guard who will make the practice squad now instead of having to wait.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
At 26 Nolan Smith would start over Dorance Armstong (though you may flip him with Micah, maybe come up with a hybrid situation between those two), Mayer you could have had at TE, Brian Branch would have been a phenomenal nickel/box safety, Brian Bresee would have slid in as your premier 3-tech, I liked Keion White a lot, I think he’d be special in Quinn’s defense. He’s a DE that can slide into DT on passing downs like Justin Tuck used to.

In the second round O’cyrus Torrance was on the board, he’s a day 1 starter and you can hold Steele to be the swing tackle(Tyron health not withstanding) like Jerry insinuated. Sydney Brown would probably win out the second safety spot next to Wilson, that’d be a strong combo/save Kearse for situational scheme advantages. Possibly Darnell Washington if the knee thing isn’t a big deal. I thought Luke Musgrave was the most underrated TE in the draft.

gimmesix

Reaction score
And they lost both Coordinators
True. There's a reason why we don't usually have a repeat NFC East champ or Super Bowl participant. It's tough to keep your team intact and repeat the chemistry that got you there.

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
This team looks better than it was last year. It improved at receiver with the trade for Brandin Cooks. It improved at cornerback with the trade for Stephon Gilmore. It improved at DT by drafting Mazi Smith, if only against the run. May be better at tight end.

Offensive line is about the same, with Edoga replacing McGovern's roster spot. Quarterback is the same. Defensive end is the same (since I think Fehoko will be a rush tackle). Linebacker may be improved with the addition of Overshown. Safety is about the same

Running back is questionable, although at the end of the year Elliott wasn't better than signing Jones II for cheap. Kicker is questionable, but we could re-sign Maher.
I would agree if we had added a corner and WR.
Both Cooks and Gilmore will be great "elder statesmen" and true professionals, who will teach younger guys to be NLF players. Even our vets can learn from them, but adding players would also have helped for development as well.
Oline is worse, and if they move Dmith back to LG - I'll be pissed. At this point sign Risner from Broncos.

MM talked about helping the offense with this draft, the TE will help, I think he will be better than advertised. But taking the blinking light OG that fell in your lap would have helped more and changed the direction of this draft.
My opinion doesn't mean squat, but I really dislike what they've done here.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What do you think?
Not really sure yet Overall.
I do think they will contribute sooner than they were saying. And they really did not even say that they wouldn’t. They were just asking if that is the case. A few said it could be others said possibly but also helps now.