NFL: Gil Brandt's 25 greatest NFL running backs of all time (Emmitt 11th)

CPanther95

Reaction score
They got Dorsett as the greatest Cowboys RB in history .

They at least got that right.

Hardline

Reaction score
This article popped up on my facebook timeline also.

All the Emmitt bashers were using that tired old line about Emmitt had a great line to run behind.
As if acquiring talent omits Emmitt's accomplishments.

Nate Newton once said they were just a bunch of fat guys until Emmitt showed up.

Hardline

Reaction score
Here's another leave out:

Ricky Williams. Top 10 power/speed combo's of all time. I know, I know, he wigged out and went to smoke pot. I thought he was a moron also, until they found out he had been misdiagnosed and was on the wrong meds. Did you know, for instance, that Ricky Williams rushed for over 10,000 yds in his career? Most don't.

Earl Campbell is the best power back ever. Dude was a freak of nature. Should be discussed as top 5.

HOOK EM

Ricky-Earl.jpg

kskboys

Reaction score
Loved him. The erb, Ditka's trade and ensuing ESPN magazine cover with them both dressed in wedding clothes, are what hurt his legacy. If he didn't go to Canada for that short time, he'd probably be in the Hall. Erb cost him a lot of time and took a toll on his legacy. Still, a devastatingly great HB. He also did a lot of work to improve his hands as a receiving option, coming out of college
What's erb? Pot?

Ricky was misdiagnosed as a manic depressive, when he really simply had an anxiety disorder. He treated it w/ pot. He should be in the HOF anyway, esp since they put TO in.

TWOK11

Reaction score

InTheZone

Reaction score

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Barry Sanders was a fantastic running back when he was on and moving those hips, shaking DL off him like flies, two yards behind the LOS to get that positive 2 yards on 3rd and 5. During the regular season.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Sanders, OJ, Brown, Payton, etc. were all more gifted football players. In terms of physical ability Emmitt definitely isn't one of tGOAT.

But his production unquestionably is

Emmitt's gifts to what made him tick was no less than those gifts for other players.

diefree666

Reaction score
I was fortunate enough to be old enough to see Jim Brown
s final year and he was still devastating, A certain poster who is usually wrong talked about a watered down NFL when he played. He really only had his last three years that could be argued. When a tough old cob like Ray Nitske says Jim Brown was the greatest RB he ever played against or saw that pretty much takes anything that particular poster drivels and shoves it into the trash can where it belongs.

I personally find it hard to pick one RB as the best of all time. Bronco Nagurski was incredible in his time. Steve van Buren was something else. Marion Motley. Jim Taylor.

I watched Earl Campbell run over an ENTIRE DEFENSE on one play. Gale Sayers making everyone else on the field looking like they were in slo mo. One game OJ made the entire Steeler Defense at their best look incompetent.

I could go on but I think I made my point.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
I was fortunate enough to be old enough to see Jim Brown
s final year and he was still devastating, A certain poster who is usually wrong talked about a watered down NFL when he played. He really only had his last three years that could be argued. When a tough old cob like Ray Nitske says Jim Brown was the greatest RB he ever played against or saw that pretty much takes anything that particular poster drivels and shoves it into the trash can where it belongs.

I personally find it hard to pick one RB as the best of all time. Bronco Nagurski was incredible in his time. Steve van Buren was something else. Marion Motley. Jim Taylor.

I watched Earl Campbell run over an ENTIRE DEFENSE on one play. Gale Sayers making everyone else on the field looking like they were in slo mo. One game OJ made the entire Steeler Defense at their best look incompetent.

I could go on but I think I made my point.
You cant address me? Lol If you're alluding to me, you then said I was "half right" after being "usually wrong"

Which is it, hoss?

Of course Brown's contemporaries think he's the GOAT. Hell, half the NFL fandom today does.

You think the league had the same amount of talent in the 50s and 60s as it does now?

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
You cant address me? Lol If you're alluding to me, you then said I was "half right" after being "usually wrong"

Which is it, hoss?

You think the league had the same amount of talent in the 50s and 60s as it does now?
Whoa. Whipped out the "hoss".

Ren

Reaction score
This article popped up on my facebook timeline also.

All the Emmitt bashers were using that tired old line about Emmitt had a great line to run behind.
As if acquiring talent omits Emmitt's accomplishments.

Nate Newton once said they were just a bunch of fat guys until Emmitt showed up.

Didnt we put the theory that anyone could run behind that line to the test back in 93?

After just 2 weeks Emmitt got payed