News: NFL Insider: Not Surprised if Cowboys cut Jaylon Smith per Sports Illustrated

Landryhat73

Reaction score
What is incredibly frustrating about Jaylon Smith is he has shown ability at times. Don’t get me wrong he has been terrible this year. But he looked like an pro bowler against the Giants. Not sure you can take the cap hit to cut him this year.

zerofill

Reaction score
It's hard to make the players feel uncomfortable, when they already have millions from signing bonuses and guarantees.

We already know none of them have any heart or desire when it comes to football.

They would probably tell half these guys you're cut, and they are like, "cool... I will go play Madden until the phone rings."

Hard to make a statement cleaning house when most of them have millions already. The ones that don't, were already
just passing through.

They should do it to at least make a statement to the fans though.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Sure, but I don't think he has much value. Not with a big contract like that.
He was in the probowl just a year ago and his contract can actually be viewed as a deal by other teams. We as fans forget that Jerry was proud of the team friendly deal that Jaylon signed because it was a deal.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
He was in the probowl just a year ago and his contract can actually be viewed as a deal by other teams. We as fans forget that Jerry was proud of the team friendly deal that Jaylon signed because it was a deal.

You're correct about the Giants game, but his play is so erratic and timid it's going to be impossible to build a quality defense around him. Consistency is one of the keys to any great player, and he is maddeningly soft at a inherently un-soft position.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Lot of dead cap still on the contract, but can save enough as a post June 1st cut in 2021 season to justify the move.

Once Lee is back I would try Jaylon more at Sam. He's better with a single assignment rather than having to play more sideline to sideline. He leads the team in tackles for loss so there are some things going right, but he often is slow to react and waits for the play to come to him rather than going to get it.

Richmond Cowboy

Reaction score
I don't know if I could fathom no more bowling gesticulations after normal football plays.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
Won't happen, it would mean Jerry admitting he was wrong about Jaylon. Jerry will never admit to it, just like he keeps waiting on Gregory. He will never admit he was wrong.

stiletto

Reaction score

He hasn't been worth even close to that contract since he signed it. He played well the year before he got the contract and only one year. Jerry and Son got so excited they payed him almost instantly. Stupid deal more like it.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
there are two chances that Jaylon gets cut...slim and none and slim just left town...that would mean admitting a mistake fellas

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
It wouldn’t be the first time that McCarthy stood in front of one of his teams with pie on his face.

Or some other food that he was eating.
Ya know.......I actually contemplated my options. Was gonna use egg but figured MM was more a pie kinda dude.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
I’d keep him through next season. If we suck next year, I’m cutting just about everyone including McCarthy and starting over.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
McCarthy won't do that.

Jed will call Jaylon into a meeting, draw on a napkin and drone out some stupid analogy and MM will lose any credibility he may or may not of had.

How embarrassing to stand in front of the team with pie on your face....not even being present NOR invited to attend the meeting.

Bad look. Worse results.

Why not?????
MM's trying to save his own ***. My guess is since CV19 cost him 3-4 months of personal interaction with his players he decided the kid-glove approach to get a better understanding of his players. If you notice his after-game pressers, he chooses his words carefully but pushed back a bit after the Sunday game. Most direct criticism of the players we've seen so far...... the Dalton hit and he admitted they've scaled D playbook down to basic high school stuff and guys are still not getting. You could sense his frustration. I'm wondering if he's run out of patience with a few players. Notice the rumors of Poe and Worley possibly being cut and trading of Griffen. I expect at least half of the current D starters will not return after the season. As for Jaylon, even if Stephen or Jerry won't cut him, they can't control how much, if, at all he plays, MM does that.

One option is asking him to take a pay cut......

Last edited by a moderator:

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Here's what I find puzzling about the grade Pro Football Focus has on him yet he leads the league in total tackles. I admit that Smith is far far from my favorite but how can his overall game be considered so bad when he leads the league in total tackles. I'd understand if he was in the middle of the pack or below but leading? The more I think about this the more I'm thinking it has more to do with the scheme which I'm already not crazy about for several reasons.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Here's what I find puzzling about the grade Pro Football Focus has on him yet he leads the league in total tackles. I admit that Smith is far far from my favorite but how can his overall game be considered so bad when he leads the league in total tackles. I'd understand if he was in the middle of the pack or below but leading? The more I think about this the more I'm thinking it has more to do with the scheme which I'm already not crazy about for several reasons.

Tackle totals are about the most meaningless statistic there is other total passing yards for a QB. There’s no context.

doomsday808

Reaction score
That contract is crazy. Jaylon is set for life. He doesn't have to win a Super Bowl to be paid like he did. He can just suck and watch the cash roll in. No one will pick up that contract.

Cowfan75

Reaction score
Smith is going nowhere. You can be terrible and tow the company line and you are family to Jerry. Create bad press for Jerry? You're gone like Griffin.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
You're correct about the Giants game, but his play is so erratic and timid it's going to be impossible to build a quality defense around him. Consistency is one of the keys to any great player, and he is maddeningly soft at a inherently un-soft position.
You must have been drinking. I havent said anything about the Giants. He made the probowl just a year ago and teams may view his contract as favorable. Get something for him because you can get something for him.