Twitter: NFL may add Wildcard team from both conferences in playoffs

khiladi

Reaction score
Jerry likes to release information on his own before it officially goes public, whether it's the Cowboys game-plan or the NFL rules committee game-plan...

HeavyBarrel

Reaction score
This is just as silly.

RG to all 32 owners - guys, we make an average of XXX million per playoff game. Want to add one more playoff game or not? Want to make a free XXX million on On top of what you're making now or not?

Oh really? All 32 agree??? Who would have guessed

I'm not sure what you are saying is silly, but I guarantee you it's not my point, if you disagree -you don't understand my point.

links18

Reaction score
Football is becoming oversaturated. We have games on Thursdays, Saturdays, Sunday Night, Monday Night. Adding in more playoff teams just waters down the sport.

I don't like the Thursday Night games, especially since they have to drag out the worst announcing crew in sports. If anything is getting watered down its the quality of the commentary. They should save Thursday Night games for a few special occasions.

HeavyBarrel

Reaction score
This is just as silly.

RG to all 32 owners - guys, we make an average of XXX million per playoff game. Want to add one more playoff game or not? Want to make a free XXX million on On top of what you're making now or not?

Oh really? All 32 agree??? Who would have guessed

He does the owners bidding, he also has SOME autonomy-if a majority of owners agree, it's a go. Probably a better way to say it.

Deep_South

Reaction score
I'm just not seeing the owners adding two teams to the playoffs and offsetting them with byes. They don't make any extra money that way.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
I don't think they can add anymore games a team could possibly play without fear of another lawsuit because of player safety. Having more teams play the same amount of games though achieves the desired result. This way you just have more teams play in the Wild Card round instead of adding an additional week to play them.

If you add one, might as well add two. Nobody gets a bye, seems more macho like that anyway.

BUT and this is the stinger

Dallas will still find a new way miss the playoffs by one game...............

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
I love this idea. The only difference this year under this plan would be the Panthers and Patriots having to play this week instead of getting the bye.

Can anyone really say Carolina was so good that they absolutely deserved that first round bye?

Only giving the top seed a bye certainly adds a lot more meaning to being the No. 1 seed.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
I don't like the Thursday Night games, especially since they have to drag out the worst announcing crew in sports. If anything is getting watered down its the quality of the commentary. They should save Thursday Night games for a few special occasions.

I agree, I still can't get used to Thursday night football all season long and invariably still woke up on Friday completely forgetting there was a game. It would probably be an exaggeration for me to say that the NFL is risking over saturation, but Sunday, Monday and Thanksgiving is really all I need.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
The way things have gone lately, I'm not sure a bye is that great anyway. It seems like lately, the SB winner has come from the Wild Card round.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
I have to disagree. While it may not be broken, that doesn't mean it's the best. More teams in the playoffs means more regions/fans interested in them (which = $) and it's good for the fans of that team. It's a win/win.

I'm not so sure based on the play-off teams struggling to sell games out this past week.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I bet people in this thread are saying its a stupid move only because Jerry Jones name has been attached to this eventhough owners have been talking about this for years. I wonder why some of you are even fans of this team

tyke1doe

Reaction score
And when the Cowboys can make an even expanded playoffs format what then?
Jerry Jones petitions to award the Cowboys an automatic playoff bid at the start of the season. :rolleyes:

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
Doesn't matter if they beat Seattle on the road if they got stomped by Seattle at home.

I guess stomping the Colts by 30, Panthers by 16 and losing to the Eagles on the road (awful reffing) & 49ers (last game of season) by a combined 6 doesn't matter either....

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
7 Arizona @ 2 Carolina
7 Pittsburgh @ 2 New England

Those would have been the two extra games this past weekend. I'd have watched both of them.

If the underdogs win, next week would have looked like this:
Arizona @ Seattle
New Orleans @ San Francisco
Pittsburgh @ Denver
San Diego @ Indy

I'd watch those too.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I guess stomping the Colts by 30, Panthers by 16 and losing to the Eagles on the road (awful reffing) & 49ers (last game of season) by a combined 6 doesn't matter either....
Not when you also lose to the Rams and get pounded by the Saints. The only reason Zona, and a number of other teams, had a decent record this year is that so many teams in the league are flat out terrible.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
I bet people in this thread are saying its a stupid move only because Jerry Jones name has been attached to this eventhough owners have been talking about this for years. I wonder why some of you are even fans of this team

When your team can't make the playoffs for what seems like forever, .. losing three seasons in a row in a "win and you're in" game, and you speak out about a way to take more teams, .. it looks weak no matter whose name is attaced.