Twitter: NFL may add Wildcard team from both conferences in playoffs

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I think it's watered down enough. I don't like only the top seed getting the bye. It's often because their division is the weakest. Adding teams to NCAA Tourney added nothing but confusion. Two games Saturday and two games Sunday is enough.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
Doesn't matter if they beat Seattle on the road if they got stomped by Seattle at home.

they did something no other team has done in 3 years give them some credit. The cardinals are a better team (all around ) than GB OR US.

Fizziksman

BanditHiro
Reaction score
7 Arizona @ 2 Carolina
7 Pittsburgh @ 2 New England

Those would have been the two extra games this past weekend. I'd have watched both of them.

If the underdogs win, next week would have looked like this:
Arizona @ Seattle
New Orleans @ San Francisco
Pittsburgh @ Denver
San Diego @ Indy

I'd watch those too.

league of parity...you could probably add one more team into the mix and it would still be a good match-up

Zordon

Reaction score
Can't Roger Goodell leave well enough alone?

Stop trying to fix something that isn't broken.

the money grab has been his only goal since becoming commissioner. there is a reason the owners love him.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
You people so hate change.

It isn't like there have ALWAYS been wildcard teams.

I don't know that a single addition would make things less interesting or dilute the talent. The wild card teams look pretty strong this time around. We've got NO and SF - both of whom I could see in the Super Bowl. We've got KC and SD. KC lost in an amazing game and SD knocked off a division champ on the road (a division champ who was 8-0 at home this season no less).

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
I have to disagree. While it may not be broken, that doesn't mean it's the best. More teams in the playoffs means more regions/fans interested in them (which = $) and it's good for the fans of that team. It's a win/win.
Hey, why not all 32 teams in the playoffs? We can have football up until almost March!

It eventually devalues itself, and renders the regular season less meaningful. The NFL is already oversaturating the market, just like it has with its horrible Thursday night games. Think the NHL and NBA have superior products with putting half their league in the playoffs? Or is the NFL's goal to be more like the NBA & NHL?

It's just like the NCAA tournament. Keep adding teams, but you're not making the product better. Adding 2 playoff teams will do nothing - most years - but put 2 more mediocre teams on the field.

HappyOnions

Datwin
Reaction score
I have to disagree. While it may not be broken, that doesn't mean it's the best. More teams in the playoffs means more regions/fans interested in them (which = $) and it's good for the fans of that team. It's a win/win.

Why can't teams just do well during the regular season and earn playoff spots under the current format?

Deep_South

Reaction score
Why can't teams just do well during the regular season and earn playoff spots under the current format?

Because it isn't fair. The team that finishes with the best record should get a trophy and they should all go home. Why give 11 other teams a chance to do something they couldn't do during the 16 game season?:)

HappyOnions

Datwin
Reaction score
Because it isn't fair. The team that finishes with the best record should get a trophy and they should all go home. Why give 11 other teams a chance to do something they couldn't do during the 16 game season?:)

not-sure-if-geniune-or-sarcastic.jpg

Venger

Reaction score
Great, now Jerreh doesn't have to do anything, and we can go 8-9...

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
You people so hate change.

It isn't like there have ALWAYS been wildcard teams.

I don't know that a single addition would make things less interesting or dilute the talent. The wild card teams look pretty strong this time around. We've got NO and SF - both of whom I could see in the Super Bowl. We've got KC and SD. KC lost in an amazing game and SD knocked off a division champ on the road (a division champ who was 8-0 at home this season no less).

hell that was the argument back in 1978 when they went from one wildcard to two.

Deep_South

Reaction score

Kidding, of course. Just making the point that we are so used to having the playoffs we kind of forget there is no reason for them except to have more games so the owners can make more money. It certainly isn't fair to the teams that finished first in their conferences. There is no logical reason for the two champions to have to play non-champions to get to the 1 and 2 seeds, none I can think of.

But, I don't really care about that, I just want more football. I doesn't matter to me if all 32 teams are in the playoffs, as long as the games are televised. :)

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
NFL needs to stop ruining good things about this game. The playoffs are set up perfect.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
they did something no other team has done in 3 years give them some credit. The cardinals are a better team (all around ) than GB OR US.
Meh. I don't buy that for one second if all three teams are healthy

DallasCowboysRule!

Reaction score
I'm just afraid that it will water down the regular season. In the current format you have to be damn good to get in to the playoffs. Arizona could have gone 11-5 this year and still missed had they won their last game. I like that because it means that when the playoffs come around I'm only seeing the division winners and the absolute best of the conference that didn't win their division. The more playoff teams we add the worse the playoffs will become. It should be HARD to make the playoffs.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can pretty much guarantee this plan will happen. More money for the league. Expect a Sunday or Monday night playoff game.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
Meh. I don't buy that for one second if all three teams are healthy

I don't care if you buy it or not . I'm simply stating the facts . They had a better record and beat much better teams .

" you are what your record says you are "
-bill parcells