Twitter: NFL may add Wildcard team from both conferences in playoffs

The Natural

Reaction score
My worry is this becomes like the NBA where people don't really tune in except for the opening week and then the playoffs. Any team that's worth a damn should make the playoffs. Yes I know the Cowboys wouldn't have made it the last couple years, but then again, they haven't been worth a damn lol.

The NBA is that way because there's only 2 teams from each conference with a legitimate chance to win a championship. Much more parity in the NFL, and with the one and done format it means anything can happen.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Well, they had 12 playoff teams in a 28 team league for the longest time. 14 in 32 is basically the same. There's also been 3 wild cards before (though less divisions then). I'd vote to leave it alone, but it's defensible.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
The NBA is that way because most people don't care about basketball and the season goes on for the better part of a year. Adding two teams or even an additional week to the playoffs would likely only be a benefit to the NFL.
Financially, yea, but in terms of quality of the game, it would water it down even more.

There are probably 3 or 4 teams in the playoffs this year who wouldn't be even close if the league wasn't down as a whole (Phi, Ind, SD), and we're talking about also including probably Dallas and Pitt/Bal? Awful.

The NBA sucks b/c teams make it in with sub .500 records, making the playoffs just as boring as the regular season.

Hoov

Reaction score
The NBA is that way because most people don't care about basketball and the season goes on for the better part of a year. Adding two teams or even an additional week to the playoffs would likely only be a benefit to the NFL.

I agree. NBA, Hockey and baseball have so many games that when you lose a few its ok, we'll get em next time around. Even a 3-4 game losing streak is not a big deal in baseball.

In the NFL, every game counts

morasp

Reaction score
For the NFC, the Cardinals would have been the next team in.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Financially, yea, but in terms of quality of the game, it would water it down even more.

There are probably 3 or 4 teams in the playoffs this year who wouldn't be even close if the league wasn't down as a whole (Phi, Ind, SD), and we're talking about also including probably Dallas and Pitt/Bal? Awful.

The NBA sucks b/c teams make it in with sub .500 records, making the playoffs just as boring as the regular season.

Actually, that's not true, most years all an extra wild card is going to do is fix some injustice that having 4 divisions creates. Dallas wouldn't have got the extra wild card, 10-6 Arizona would have (amazingly, they could have been 11-5 and still needng that 3rd wild card). Sure occasionally another 8-8 team will benefit, but it's not going to wreck things all that much. 4 team divisions are what's responsible for crappy playoff teams.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Actually, that's not true, most years all an extra wild card is going to do is fix some injustice that having 4 divisions creates. Dallas wouldn't have got the extra wild card, 10-6 Arizona would have (amazingly, they could have been 11-5 and still needng that 3rd wild card). Sure occasionally another 8-8 team will benefit, but it's not going to wreck things all that much. 4 team divisions are what's responsible for crappy playoff teams.
Arizona sucks too. They beat up on the AFC and NFC South.

reddyuta

Reaction score
I am actually OK with this,playoffs are always exciting.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
It's not hard to imagine why Jerry might be in favor of another wild card team being added. Things are at a point with this franchise where he'll do just about anything to boost our chances of being playoff bound. God forbid us being forced to find a way to qualify through this team's actual improvement. I think there's enough mediocrity involved in the playoff picture already. It would only serve to water down the competition more than it is now. The league's main impetus here is financially motivated, with the quality of the games taking a back seat. Enough already.

links18

Reaction score
It's not hard to imagine why Jerry might be in favor of another wild card team being added. Things are at a point with this franchise where he'll do just about anything to boost our chances of being playoff bound. God forbid us being forced to find a way to qualify through this team's actual improvement. I think there's enough mediocrity involved in the playoff picture already. It would only serve to water down the competition more than it is now. The league's main impetus here is financially motivated, with the quality of the games taking a back seat. Enough already.

3 of the 4 games this weekend were close in the 4th quarter. San Diego--the last team in the playoffos in the AFC--won its game over a division champ. Its not like the games are total blowouts.

CaptainCreed

Reaction score
4 team divisions are what's responsible for crappy playoff teams.

I would not be surprised if the NFL ultimately pulls some sort of realignment like the NHL did this year to only four divisions, two per conference. There is no point in not rewarding a team like the Cardinals who went 10-6 in arguably the hardest division in football. I know we all love our rivalries and the NFC East probably holds those the closest but many of the other divisions do not have this sort of feel. AFC North division has some good match-ups usually with Ravens and Steelers. But, are the Texans and Jaguars really rivals? Dolphins and Bills? Rams and Cardinals? The true rivalry of the last decade could be arguably the Pats vs. Peyton's Colts as rivalries are dictated more on success than passionate fan bases though the NFC East is still the poster child of hatred of division rivals.

BaybeeJay

Reaction score
Would love this, actually. Makes the 1 seed extremely valuable, and then it adds 2 extra games for Wild-card weekend. I will be honest, after the 49ers game, I was hoping for another game to watch.

Gaede

Reaction score
I don't mind an extra team each. So long as there is not An extra weekend of games

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
It will just make us look that much worse when they add teams and we still don't make it. LOL!

JBS

Reaction score
I don't think some people get this, RG simply does the owners bidding, if a majority of owners are against it, RG can't do anything.....

This is just as silly.

RG to all 32 owners - guys, we make an average of XXX million per playoff game. Want to add one more playoff game or not? Want to make a free XXX million on On top of what you're making now or not?

Oh really? All 32 agree??? Who would have guessed

Doomsay

Reaction score
Jerry will keep lobbying until he gets to the magic number that puts Dallas into the postseason. 16 teams is not off the table.

Yeah, even with this format, Jerry wouldn't have gotten into the playoffs over the past 4 years. The only reason his teams have been "in good position for a playoff spot" recently is the uncompetitive status of the NFC East.

khiladi

Reaction score
Can't Roger Goodell leave well enough alone?

Stop trying to fix something that isn't broken.

Goodell is a mouth-piece for the owners.. no more easy job than being a commish for a professional league.. Stern was getting like 18 to 24 million a year or something ridiculous....

tecolote

Reaction score
3 playoff games on Saturday and Sunday. Sign me up. Imagine the games we just watched plus Arizona at Carolina and Pitt at New England.

Mmmm, football goodness.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
I have to disagree. While it may not be broken, that doesn't mean it's the best. More teams in the playoffs means more regions/fans interested in them (which = $) and it's good for the fans of that team. It's a win/win.

Football is becoming oversaturated. We have games on Thursdays, Saturdays, Sunday Night, Monday Night. Adding in more playoff teams just waters down the sport.