Twitter: NFL passing leaders through week 7 (top 5 may surprise some)

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
True. But if you don’t like what I post. Ignore it. Especially if you don’t know what I’m saying or insinuating. Basically your lame azz is making insinuations of insinuations. How lame is that?

Lol

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
If you want to believe a made up stat is so good, then by all means believe it, but seeing how most sites that present stats use the passer rating and not that made up stat I'll go with the one the actual NFL uses.

Passer rating is a "made up" stat too. All stats get made up by someone. Other sites want to use total QBR but they aren't allowed to because it is proprietary.

perrykemp

Reaction score
Passer rating is a "made up" stat too. All stats get made up by someone. Other sites want to use total QBR but they aren't allowed to because it is proprietary.

At least with passer rating, it is a known formula. Anybody can calculate it. There is no mystery, subjectivity, bias, or opinion to it.

Personally I think QBR is interesting, however, due to the human element of it I value it just about the same as a PFF rating.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
At least with passer rating, it is a known formula. Anybody can calculate it. There is no mystery, subjectivity, bias, or opinion to it.

Personally I think QBR is interesting, however, due to the human element of it I value it just about the same as a PFF rating.
It sounds like you just need to have it explained to you how total QBR is calculated. Here you go...

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17653521/how-total-qbr-calculated-explain-our-improved-qb-rating

J-man

Reaction score
Here what I think of stats and QBR: I have Dak and Goff on my fantasy team.

Actually just yesterday I traded Wentz, Ertz and Gallup for Goff, Hockenson and Cooper.
cha ching

phildadon86

Reaction score
Says the simpleton that thinks QBR is the best stat to evaluate a QB :lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:

You are the WOAT
Well I mean. Your version of judging is based on the eye test. "Cant make the deep pass" He proved that wrong. "Cant throw to the outside" Proved that wrong. "Cant throw medium/intermediate up the middle" Proved that wrong. You're running out of things to be upset about with him. Unless the bow tie is next lol

perrykemp

Reaction score
It sounds like you just need to have it explained to you how total QBR is calculated. Here you go...

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17653521/how-total-qbr-calculated-explain-our-improved-qb-rating

I get it. It just seems like there is so much subjectivity to it. Things like:

• Passing during garage time is valued less. Who defines garbage time?
  • Number of yards a receiver is expected to have after the catch — who makes that call?
  • Division of credit for successful plays — who makes the call on how much credit, as opposed to the WR, the QB should get?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I get it. It just seems like there is so much subjectivity to it. Things like:

• Passing during garage time is valued less. Who defines garbage time?
  • Number of yards a receiver is expected to have after the catch — who makes that call?
  • Division of credit for successful plays — who makes the call on how much credit, as opposed to the WR, the QB should get?
So you can't get it wrapped around your head because you don't like the subjective factors?

So you think garbage time stats should count the same?

Some receivers net more YAC than others. On an average basis, expected YAC can be figured.

Should a QB get full credit for a bad pass when the WR makes a great catch? You know this happens. It's perfectly legit to factor that in.

sean10mm

Reaction score
It's pretty funny how the people who now say total yards don't matter... were the exact same people crucifying Dak for not throwing for 300 yards a game the last 2 years.

LOL OK

sean10mm

Reaction score

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Can handle disagreement, but would u like to add why you believe differently?
Well first, I like to use a wide scope of statistics to form an opinion. Total yards are certainly not THE most important thing, but they do illustrate that the offense is creating longer drives the more yards you gain. This is important with regard to scoring as well as field position.
So, to suggest total yards don't mean squat is disingenuous. IMO.

perrykemp

Reaction score
So you can't get it wrapped around your head because you don't like the subjective factors?

So you think garbage time stats should count the same?

Some receivers net more YAC than others. On an average basis, expected YAC can be figured.

Should a QB get full credit for a bad pass when the WR makes a great catch? You know this happens. It's perfectly legit to factor that in.

I definitely think those things matter.

What I am saying is that how does ESPN’s QBR differ from PFF ratings? Both require a human (if not multiple) to eye ball each play and make judgement calls on what looks to be at least 7-10 different factors.

I am not discounting the potential value of QBR, I am only suggesting that it, like PFF scores, can be heavily influenced by whoever is scoring each passing play.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

That's not true. I found another site that did use it as well as the traditional passer rating. Yes someone had to come up with a stat but again I'll go with the stat that the NFL actually uses. A mathematical formula can't be proprietary because anyone can use the same numbers the same way to get the same answer. Then any mathematical formula someone comes up with can't be used by anyone else? So schools all over the world are breaking laws because of teaching mathematical formulas?

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2018/passing.htm