Twitter: NFL passing leaders through week 7 (top 5 may surprise some)

Scotman

Reaction score
"Arbitrarily" is inaccurate. The higher that number, the greater the statistical validity. It actually makes the quality of the formula that much better.
I was going to chime in with this. For a complicated metric like QBR, the larger the sample size the better. That said, the people putting together the metric should have taken that into account from the get-go. Still, changing it to a higher number of attempts was 100% valid.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
I was going to chime in with this. For a complicated metric like QBR, the larger the sample size the better. That said, the people putting together the metric should have taken that into account from the get-go. Still, changing it to a higher number of attempts was 100% valid.
Why does it need a large sample size to measure how a QB is playing?

He played the entire game!

All in all, even with his 17 action plays, Batch still had a 99.9 rating even though he threw 2 interceptions.
Its garbage.

Scotman

Reaction score
Maybe.

But the point is, they did it to try and bring more credence to their goofy formula.

Batch had 17 “action plays” (runs or passes), and 3 kneel downs. After the backlash, they changed it from 20 actual plays, 20 action plays.

He played the entire game.

Why wasnt this “error” seen before the backlash? It took them 4 years to correct it ....
You're not wrong here. They should have seen that coming. When more variables are involved in a metric, higher sample sizes are needed to make it more accurate (assuming the concepts behind the metric are valid to being with). Them not thinking of that before even rolling the metric out makes me question the entire process behind developing it. That said, I think Dak's really improved this year. I hope you're dead wrong about what he brings to the team. :)

Scotman

Reaction score

All in all, even with his 17 action plays, Batch still had a 99.9 rating even though he threw 2 interceptions.
Its garbage.
I tried to answer this in response to the other comment.

When you have a small sample size, you could actually be sampling outliers that dramatically screw the numbers one way or the other. One game...a few games...even a year...that's not enough for me personally. Tom Brady scores near the top of the QBR virtually every year. I believe it because it's been consistant. Dak has been up several times and really down once. I THINK I've come around on him, but I want to see it long term.

Shotgun Dave

Reaction score

Its garbage.

If an "entire game" was enough to determine validity, there would BE no validity. The GOATS out there have all had a really bad game or three; that should prove the point that having a higher number of attempts (games, etc) demonstrates greater reliability and validity of the data.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Lol

Yet Brady has a whopping 131 yards less than Dak and has lead his team to 7 straight wins. Without his hall of fame TE.

And you're throwing the word idiot around. Lol

I thought passing yards didnt count now troll? But imagine the great Tom Brady has less yards than Dak?

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
I thought passing yards didnt count now troll? But imagine the great Tom Brady has less yards than Dak?

Brady lost his starting LT and Center. Brady and that offense simply arent the same. And the receiver by committee thing isnt working so well over there.

Remember saying that, superstar?

Seems to me they are doing pretty well even with the marginally less passing yards. Apparently some can still function without a couple starters on the ol and no top tier receiver.

Come on Roy, you're troll game is a shell of its former self.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Remember saying that, superstar?

Seems to me they are doing pretty well even with the marginally less passing yards. Apparently some can still function without a couple starters on the ol and no top tier receiver.

Come on Roy, you're troll game is a shell of its former self.

Thats because of the #1 defense genius. You want to try again?

Function? Are those your standards for the great Tom Brady?

Even trolls like you can learn lessons.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Well first, I like to use a wide scope of statistics to form an opinion. Total yards are certainly not THE most important thing, but they do illustrate that the offense is creating longer drives the more yards you gain. This is important with regard to scoring as well as field position.
So, to suggest total yards don't mean squat is disingenuous. IMO.
Overstated to make a point.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Thats because of the #1 defense genius. You want to try again?

Function? Are those your standards for the great Tom Brady?

Even trolls like you can learn lessons.
Brady's passing yards are a result of the defense?

Come on superstar. Sleep it off and give it another go with as clear a head as you can muster up.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Brady's passing yards are a result of the defense?

Come on superstar. Sleep it off and give it another go with as clear a head as you can muster up.

Its the Oline actually. Brady himself continues to say how out of synch they are. But by all means, keep trying.

Pape

Reaction score
Its the Oline actually. Brady himself continues to say how out of synch they are. But by all means, keep trying.

LOL ... no, thats not what he's said at all. Not in the context of how you are trying to frame it.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
What QB can't we say that about? Brady, Brees, Rodgers and Mahomes are all affected by the hits and pressure, that's the only way to slow them down.

He's still behind the receivers on crossers and slants too much but Romo never fixed that unless he was throwing to Witten or jump balling Dez. That's not as easy a throw as some QB's make it look. They've got to make the passing lane match the speed of the receiver and not hang him out too far for a big hit. Mahomes and Rodgers are really good at that pass with receivers possessing different speed. They also have that same dart-like delivery.
well what I meant was even on plays there is no pressure, he will throw off target like there was pressure.
I have seen a lot of plays where he has time and little or no pressure and he throws high, behind and over etc.
Even on short throws, so once you rattle him it affects him rest of the game.
And I am pro dak, but will speak out on what I think are his flaws.
The other thing is he could take off and run more from the pocket but doesnt.