NFL Poll : Who is the best pass rusher in the league?

djtavo

Jesus is Lord
Reaction score
www.NFL.com

You can vote on the front page of NFL.com on the bottom right hand side.

Demarcus Ware has my vote....

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I find it amusing that James Harrison is on the list, but Jared Allen isn't. Harrison was a nobody as a pass rusher until this season. Allen has 54 sacks in 4 1/2 seasons. Harrison has 26 in 5 1/2 seasons. Thats less than half has many sacks and he has an extra season under his belt.

On that note, Ware has 48.5 in 3 1/2 years! That is hulking it! :)

The Panch

Reaction score
nyc;2457094 said:
I find it amusing that James Harrison is on the list, but Jared Allen isn't. Harrison was a nobody as a pass rusher until this season. Allen has 54 sacks in 4 1/2 seasons. Harrison has 26 in 5 1/2 seasons. Thats less than half has many sacks and he has an extra season under his belt.

They're not asking who has the best career. Bottom line is, Harrison is the DPOY front runner THIS SEASON, so he's going to be mentioned.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
The Panch;2457103 said:
They're not asking who has the best career. Bottom line is, Harrison is the DPOY front runner THIS SEASON, so he's going to be mentioned.
Do you know of anyone who votes on this award that's actually stated that?

And yes, I can pull you a quote for a voter who said they have Ware as their DPOY.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
nyc;2457094 said:

That is an impressive stat.

Romo2Dez4six

Touchdown!!!!
Reaction score
Hostile;2457146 said:
Ware is true BEAST. Barring no serious injurys could be the all time sack leader. remember i said could.:bow:

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Romo2Owens4six;2457148 said:
Ware is true BEAST. Barring no serious injurys could be the all time sack leader. remember i said could.:bow:
Remember though, he has over 150 to go. That ain't easy.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
The Panch;2457103 said:

There asking for the best pass rusher in the game. Not who is the hottest pass rusher, who is the luckiest pass rusher, or who has played against the poorest offensive lines so far. Jared Allen is a far supieroir pass rusher than Harrison until Harrison can prove his current numbers aren't a fluke.

James Harrison sack career totals:
Code:
Year         Games         Sacks
2008           12            14
2007           16           8.5 
2006           11             0
2005           16             3
2004           16             1
2002            1             0
Looks like he started to come on last year and that shows this year too, but no way I take him over Allen right now. Allen is averaging around 11 sacks a year even counting this year even though it's only a half season. He already has 11 sacks this season so his average sacks per season will rise above 11.

Just to compare, thats more than Jason Taylor averages even if you don't include this injury season. Thats more than John Abraham, that more than Dwight Freeney.

It is absolutely foolish to say Harrison is a better pass rusher than Allen just because he has had a single breakout season.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Hostile;2457146 said:

Not as impressive as Reggie White's 70 sacks in four years. (Average 17.5 per season!)

Code:
Year	AGE	Team	LG	GP	SK	
1985	23	PHI 	NFL 	13	13.0	
1986	24	PHI 	NFL 	16	18.0	
1987	25	PHI 	NFL 	12	21.0	
1988	26	PHI 	NFL 	16	18.0	
1989	27	PHI 	NFL 	16	11.0	
1990	28	PHI 	NFL 	16	14.0		
1991	29	PHI 	NFL 	16	15.0		
1992	30	PHI 	NFL 	16	14.0	
1993	31	GNB 	NFL 	16	13.0	
1994	32	GNB 	NFL 	16	8.0	
1995	33	GNB 	NFL 	15	12.0	
1996	34	GNB 	NFL 	16	8.5	
1997	35	GNB 	NFL 	16	11.0	
1998	36	GNB 	NFL 	16	16.0	
2000	38	CAR 	NFL 	16	5.5	
15 NFL Season Totals	 	232	198.0

How about that 21 sacks in 12 games! (1.75 sacks per game) He averaged .85 per game for his career. He did his entire career was Ware was doing this year when he was getting one sack a game!

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
nyc;2457161 said:
Not as impressive as Reggie White's 70 sacks in four years. (Average 17.5 per season!)

How about that 21 sacks in 12 games! (1.75 sacks per game) He averaged .85 per game for his career. He did his entire career was Ware was doing this year when he was getting one sack a game!
Reggie is the best I ever saw and I've seen Harvey, Deacon, and Bruce as well. No one combined his pure power with his kind of speed and size.

I will say this though. None of them could have played OLB in a 3-4 and covered receivers.

LearningToFly

Reaction score
nyc;2457156 said:
There asking for the best pass rusher in the game. Not who is the hottest pass rusher, who is the luckiest pass rusher, or who has played against the poorest offensive lines so far. Jared Allen is a far supieroir pass rusher than Harrison until Harrison can prove his current numbers aren't a fluke.

James Harrison sack career totals:
Code:
Year         Games         Sacks
2008           12            14
2007           16           8.5 
2006           11             0
2005           16             3
2004           16             1
2002            1             0
Looks like he started to come on last year and that shows this year too, but no way I take him over Allen right now. Allen is averaging around 11 sacks a year even counting this year even though it's only a half season. He already has 11 sacks this season so his average sacks per season will rise above 11.

Just to compare, thats more than Jason Taylor averages even if you don't include this injury season. Thats more than John Abraham, that more than Dwight Freeney.

It is absolutely foolish to say Harrison is a better pass rusher than Allen just because he has had a single breakout season.

James Harrison only became a starter in 2007. So all those sack totals from years previous to that are meaningless because he spent most of that time on the Steelers scout squad and in and out of the game. I don't see how that can be held against him.

Ever since he had a chance to be a starter, he's been a huge, impactful player. A pro bowler as a first year starter, and with a year under his belt he's even better this year.

He's not a fluke.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
LearningToFly;2457176 said:
James Harrison only became a starter in 2007. So all those sack totals from years previous to that are meaningless because he spent most of that time on the Steelers scout squad and in and out of the game. I don't see how that can be held against him.

Ever since he had a chance to be a starter, he's been a huge, impactful player. A pro bowler as a first year starter, and with a year under his belt he's even better this year.

He's not a fluke.

I didn't say he was a fluke, but you are wrong. Those sack totals DO mean something. If he wasn't a starter, there was a reason he wasn't the starter. Get my drift?

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
nyc;2457161 said:

White played his first two seasons in the USFL and had 23.5 sacks in 36 games (the USFL had 18-game seasons). White had 31 sacks in his first two NFL seasons, for a total of 54.5 in his first four professional seasons (65 games). So Ware needs six more this season to match White, even though Ware will have played in fewer games.

dware94

Reaction score
It would be interesting to see Ware's stats under a coordinator like Lebeau. Harrison hasnt had to play with guys like Ayoedele, James, Singleton/Ellis/Fujita. Pittsburgh always has a strong supporting cast around there best pass rusher.

LearningToFly

Reaction score
nyc;2457181 said:
I didn't say he was a fluke, but you are wrong. Those sack totals DO mean something. If he wasn't a starter, there was a reason he wasn't the starter. Get my drift?

Not necessarily, I think that's a poor way to look at it. All those years Tony Romo set on the bench, those years he was behind Drew Henson on the depth chart, I guess there was a reason for that too? I guess he wasn't starter material then, eh? Totally illogical argument.

Sometimes, for often a variety of reasons, some guys just don't get the chance they need until later on into their career, especially when there's talented guys in front of them. Pittsburgh has always had very talented LB's, it's hard to break through the lineup. Mike Vrabel rode the pine in Pittsburgh for years because he couldn't get past the starters in the lineup, only to move onto New England and to become a star. Hell, the Steelers have a very talented first round pick from the '07 draft who technically is still not a starter because it's hard to get playing time away from James Farrior and Larry Foote.

These situations happen sometimes. Often these guys that come from small schools don't get a chance to prove themselves until later on in their careers. I think there's a striking similarity between Harrison and Romo, so I don't understand why a Cowboys fan would try to make the argument you're making.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
LearningToFly;2457238 said:
Not necessarily, I think that's a poor way to look at it. All those years Tony Romo set on the bench, those years he was behind Drew Henson on the depth chart, I guess there was a reason for that too? I guess he wasn't starter material then, eh? Totally illogical argument.

No, it's not. Romo wasn't starter material early in his career, which is why he wasn't a starter back then. And comparing his first couple of seasons "as a starter" to a quarterback who has been a starter since his rookie season wouldn't be fair to the other guy. There's a difference between being a fourth- or fifth-year player who has never started before and being a rookie.