NFL Poll : Who is the best pass rusher in the league?

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
SteelManiac55;2459810 said:
How is Harrison possibly last amongst the three of them? What factors of his game actually lost him points?
Does it really matter? Everybody can come up with their own formulas, even formulas are subjective, regardless who does it.

masomenos

Less is more
Reaction score
SteelManiac55;2459810 said:
How is Harrison possibly last amongst the three of them? What factors of his game actually lost him points?

Woodley got more points because he scored a defensive TD, which I gave a weight of 3.5 points. Total tackles really boosted Harrison in Kirwans formula, but I think it's silly to say that an assist is as indicative of a players impact as a solo tackle. I weighted assists at .5. Sacks carried no multiplier, KDs carried a .75 multiplier and hurries carried a .5 multiplier.

Look at it these terms.

# of hits on QB:
Ware - 39.5
Harrison - 32.5
Woodley - 28.5

# of plays befind LOS
Ware - 21
Harrison - 17
Woodley - 16.5

# of takeaways
Woodley - 5
Harrison - 1
Ware -1

Ware has a sizable lead over Woodley in the first two categories and Harrison only has a slight lead. Woodley's takeaways and his TD are enough to put him past Harrison and right behind Ware.

masomenos

Less is more
Reaction score
03EBZ06;2459837 said:
Does it really matter? Everybody can come up with their own formulas, even formulas are subjective, regardless who does it.

All bad formulas are subjective, but not all formulas are bad.

Reaction score
nyc;2457094 said:
I find it amusing that James Harrison is on the list, but Jared Allen isn't. Harrison was a nobody as a pass rusher until this season. Allen has 54 sacks in 4 1/2 seasons. Harrison has 26 in 5 1/2 seasons. Thats less than half has many sacks and he has an extra season under his belt.

On that note, Ware has 48.5 in 3 1/2 years! That is hulking it! :)

Actually, Harrison came on last year with 8.5 sacks & 98 tackles. He is a brute, make no mistake about it. He has 6 forced fumbles, which is like gold in this game. He's only one sack behing DWare.

DWare is my man, make no mistake about it, but you have to respect your opponent.

Eskimo

Reaction score
As a pure pass rusher, I still think Freeney is the best. His game is very incomplete but he is an automatic double team every passing down. Not many great pass rushers have been as short as him but he is so quick it is hard to get your hands on him and you have to sell out so much his speed rush that he can then use his low center of gravity to spin inside faster than the OT can recover.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Is the poll closed? I voted the other day but it is no longer on the front page. Did Ware win?

SteelManiac55

Reaction score
masomenos85;2459838 said:
Woodley got more points because he scored a defensive TD, which I gave a weight of 3.5 points. Total tackles really boosted Harrison in Kirwans formula, but I think it's silly to say that an assist is as indicative of a players impact as a solo tackle. I weighted assists at .5. Sacks carried no multiplier, KDs carried a .75 multiplier and hurries carried a .5 multiplier.

Look at it these terms.

# of hits on QB:
Ware - 39.5
Harrison - 32.5
Woodley - 28.5

# of plays befind LOS
Ware - 21
Harrison - 17
Woodley - 16.5

# of takeaways
Woodley - 5
Harrison - 1
Ware -1

Ware has a sizable lead over Woodley in the first two categories and Harrison only has a slight lead. Woodley's takeaways and his TD are enough to put him past Harrison and right behind Ware.

Harrison has forced 6 fumbles - I'd have to think that garners him something!

masomenos

Less is more
Reaction score
SteelManiac55;2460393 said:
Harrison has forced 6 fumbles - I'd have to think that garners him something!

It did, my formula carried the same weight for forced fumbles as Kirwan's did.