NFL upholds Brady's 4 game suspension

slick325

Reaction score
That is all negotiated during the CBA talks. It is completely legal and valid.

The commissioner absolutely has the power to punish on-field violations. There is not a lot of precedence for this type of violation to begin with.

I know it's part of the CBA. My commentary is more geared toward the NFLPA being the weakest Union in Sports.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Not a Brady sympathizer or Pats supporter but I still think that the NFLPA needs to fight hard to take the decision making out of the Commissioner's hands. These matters should be decided by a truly independent individual that is compensated by both the NFL and NFLPA equally. The arbitrary and capricious decisions made by the Commissioner and his Office are frustrating and perplexing. There is no precedence for the Brady suspension. They randomly assign game suspensions and fines when it comes to Personal Conduct, etc.

I think they got this one right.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ESPN still painting him as he has done nothing wrong.
Acting as if the team will be fine without him as they are prepared. But yet we suck because we lost Murray.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
Next step... Lawsuit

Not so sure he really has any basis anymore for a lawsuit if indeed he did destroy his phone to hide evidence (and assuming the NFL has proof of this). At this point, a lawsuit would only delay his suspension. I would think the Patriots would rather him service it earlier rather than later.

Staubacher

Reaction score
So they fixed up the place?

article-2260201-16DAA3FE000005DC-866_634x430.jpg

Patriot fans living rooms after the suspension was uphelded​

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
He conspired to destroy evidence and didn't cooperate with the investigation, something he is required to do under the CBA.

That is worth every bit of 4 games itself, let alone the cheating.

Just read where he destroyed his cell phone didn't realize that so when you take that into account and everything else then 4 games does make sense.

slick325

Reaction score
I think they got this one right.

Not sure if they did or didn't get it right Fletch. I guess I am more of a fan of knowing what the law of the land is in advance and the repercussions for violating said laws in advance. The random nature of Goodell's decisions have never sit well with me and probably never will.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not so sure he really has any basis anymore for a lawsuit if indeed he did destroy his phone to hide evidence (and assuming the NFL has proof of this). At this point, a lawsuit would only delay his suspension. I would think the Patriots would rather him service it earlier rather than later.
I have been begging for a lawsuit for months. Brady's cell records would be automatically subpoenaed. Then he better pray there were no incriminating texts.

DFWJC

Reaction score
There's a very strong chance that they are starting out 1-3

Pittsburgh__L most likely
At Buffalo__L..wicked defense and beat them last year
Jax__W ?
At Dallas__L. :D

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
It sucks it was only 4 games. It should have been for a season given the severity of cheating in the organization. But, to Goodell's credit (and I don't give him much credit, ever) he had to know that anything longer than 4-games would never hold per the CBA agreement. That's why Hardy's suspension was dropped to 4-games. Goodell knew that Hardy's 10-game suspension would never hold so he knew that he could always say "hey, I wanted to suspend him for 10-games, but the NFLPA wouldn't allow for it."

I'm not really sure what grounds Brady has to stand on for a lawsuit. Goodell can always state that Brady violated a conduct rule against the league with the deflation of footballs, not being forthcoming to investigators and destroying his cell phone and suspended him right in line with the 1st time offender guidelines of 4-games.

So much for the Patriots and Kraft accepting whatever punishment the league gave them.

YR

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I know it's part of the CBA. My commentary is more geared toward the NFLPA being the weakest Union in Sports.

Just my opinion but I don't believe that the NFLPA should fight for the Commish to be vacated of power in situations such as this. In the case of how players are randomly penalized with regards to negotiated disciplines, yes. I situations like this, no.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ESPN still painting him as he has done nothing wrong.
Acting as if the team will be fine without him as they are prepared. But yet we suck because we lost Murray.
I don't know if that's a wrong opinion. They have the Steelers, Bills, Jaguars and us for the games Brady will miss. New England could easily be 2-2 after losing to Buffalo and Jacksonville. That's not a bad split after playing the first quarter of the season.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I have been begging for a lawsuit for months. Brady's cell records would be automatically subpoenaed. Then he better pray there were no incriminating texts.

You are right. Discovery works both ways.

Though this appeal would be more about procedures and process than retrying the case I believe.

slick325

Reaction score
Just my opinion but I don't believe that the NFLPA should fight for the Commish to be vacated of power in situations such as this. In the case of how players are randomly penalized with regards to negotiated disciplines, yes. I situations like this, no.

I can respect that position ABQ...

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

And that's why he won't take it to court IMO. The NFL has no way of gaining access to those records unless Brady opens the door and files against the NFL. That's why, IMO, the offer to negotiate was put on the table and that's why the NFL was never going to entertain the idea of a negotiation. Again, IMO.