NFL upholds Brady's 4 game suspension

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Mine too, but it's funny how most of the talking heads seemed to ignore this fact.

Admit you deflated some balls? Give the guy a fine and move on.

Don't cooperate and destroy evidence? Now you've taken it up several notches and a 4 game suspension is more than warranted.

If he would have just admitted it, he would have been fine, I agree. The fans understand the deflating of the footballs. I mean, they may not like it or agree with it but we all know that players and teams have been doing stuff like this for years. We all know and understand the concept of, If you aint cheating, you aint trying hard enough, so to speak. Anybody who has ever played has had a coach tell them this at some point. He's Tom Brady, the fans would have payed attention for about 5 minutes and then moved on with life. He did this to himself because he was stupid in how he handled this. He should have just owned it and moved on.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
I have a question if he takes this to court can a federal judge issue a order to have his phone and email records brought out in trial.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Can't imagine getting more than 4 games for deflating footballs. Not sure 4 games fit the crime probably should have only been 2 games.

Cheating on the field and destroying the integrity of the game looks a lot worse to me than what anyone does off of the field that does not directly influence the results on the field.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I agree with the league on this. Teams and players cannot just pick and choose which rules they violate. Brady knew this was wrong and disregarded it and was caught.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Cheating on the field and destroying the integrity of the game looks a lot worse to me than what anyone does off of the field that does not directly influence the results on the field.

Depends on what they do off the field some things are a lot worse than cheating especially assaulting a person. If Brady destroyed his cell phone can't understand why he even bothered appealing his 4 game suspension. He had no chance of winning an appeal if he destroyed something that contained evidence against him.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have a question if he takes this to court can a federal judge issue a order to have his phone and email records brought out in trial.
Brady's cell phone would be irrelevant. Unless there is a conflicting policy, Brady's cell carrier would have a transcript of all electronic transmissions like texts or emails. The court would issue a subpoena to the cell carrier, not Brady.

daveferr33

Reaction score
Not sure how much traction he'll get in court.

I know that if a trial judge finds liability based on spoliation of evidence (i.e., destruction of evidence), it is difficult to get that overturned because the standard is abuse of discretion. Not sure why that would be different in this case.

remdak

Reaction score
If he goes to court, gets an injunction, and then loses the case, his suspension would be later in the year during games that may be more critical for the division for the Pats.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It's never the crime: it's always the cover-up.

It was both but the cover-up was pretty bad when it involved destroying his cell phone that contained evidence against him.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Depends on what they do off the field some things are a lot worse than cheating especially assaulting a person. If Brady destroyed his cell phone can't understand why he even bothered appealing his 4 game suspension. He had no chance of winning an appeal if he destroyed something that contained evidence against him.
This is short-sighted thinking. Brady cares about his legacy. He can always claim innocence via plausible deniability if the actual texts never see the light of day.