NFLPA looking into Cowboys' direct dealing with players

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There is a salary cap in place. How does that help the owners and teams?

It sets a fixed mark on the maximum that players are allowed to earn, they get a fixed percentage of TV revenue and that's the "salary cap". That's less than half of the total TV revenue. The other half goes into the pockets of one owner. The owners can now just say "I'd pay you the world if it wasn't for that darn salary cap!" when in fact, it was them that made sure to negotiate it that way in the CBA.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Where's your proof? It makes no sense to say Jerry Jones fought for the salary cap since it has absolutely destroyed his chance to ever reach a Super Bowl again.

Never forget the real-world business that is the NFL. It's not simply a competitive sport.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
It sets a fixed mark on the maximum that players are allowed to earn, they get a fixed percentage of TV revenue and that's the "salary cap". That's less than half of the total TV revenue. The other half goes into the pockets of one owner. The owners can now just say "I'd pay you the world if it wasn't for that darn salary cap!" when in fact, it was them that made sure to negotiate it that way in the CBA.
So the salary cap helped all of the other owners instead of Jerry?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

It helped all of the owners to ensure they make a huge profit. It evened the competitive playing field for all of them and ensures that the lions' share of money still goes to them.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
It helped all of the owners to ensure they make a huge profit. It evened the competitive playing field for all of them and ensures that the lions' share of money still goes to them.
Hmm, wasn't Jerry by far the biggest profiteer prior to the salary cap being instituted in '94?

mcmvp

Reaction score
Where's your proof? It makes no sense to say Jerry Jones fought for the salary cap since it has absolutely destroyed his chance to ever reach a Super Bowl again.

Do some research. Jerry Jones is a smart business man. He knew the NFL would succeed and grow exponentially as a whole more, with this system in place, than it would with just a few dynasties at the top of the hill. And he was not wrong. The salary cap gives each team a pie which they have to decide how to split up (which players get the biggest pieces). Creating all these little pies to be divided created a league of parity where hope (and therefore greater national marketability) remains for all teams and not just a chosen few. This marketability created a bigger pie for the owners to split up.

Jerry wants to win Super Bowls...sure. But he's always been about making money.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hmm, wasn't Jerry by far the biggest profiteer prior to the salary cap being instituted in '94?

Probably, he was certainly at the forefront of creating revenues, something that I don't think he gets enough credit for around the league and specifically from the other owners he's help make incredibly rich.

But what's your point in asking?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Do some research. Jerry Jones is a smart business man. He knew the NFL would succeed and grow exponentially as a whole more, with this system in place, than it would with just a few dynasties at the top of the hill. And he was not wrong. The salary cap gives each team a pie which they have to decide how to split up (which players get the biggest pieces). Creating all these little pies to be divided created a league of parity where hope (and therefore greater national marketability) remains for all teams and not just a chosen few. This marketability created a bigger pie for the owners to split up.

Jerry wants to win Super Bowls...sure. But he's always been about making money.
I've been looking. Can't find anything to verify what you're saying.

mcmvp

Reaction score
The Cowboys are worth what now? 5-6 billion? There's no way in hell they are worth that much today without the league as a whole thriving the way it has.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Probably, he was certainly at the forefront of creating revenues, something that I don't think he gets enough credit for around the league and specifically from the other owners he's help make incredibly rich.

But what's your point in asking?
My point is who was for the salary cap and why? I remember hearing back in the early 90s that many, if not most, owners were against Jerry being able to spend as much as he wanted to bring in the best talent, thus leading to Super Bowls.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My point is who was for the salary cap and why? I remember hearing back in the early 90s that many, if not most, owners were against Jerry being able to spend as much as he wanted to bring in the best talent, thus leading to Super Bowls.

Oh, he may have very well been one who voted against the salary cap. As a rich man in a huge market, his team was one of the "have's" rather than the "have-not's". The Cowboys could have been like the Yankees in baseball and just bought the thing every year. But it's about more than one man, more than one team, and more than one vote.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Let's not forget at the time of the cap coming into being, he was far from the fattest cat and was as concerned about other owners out spending him and he saw the advantage of a guaranteed profit to every owner before the first kickoff.

He is still not the fattest cat and if the cap went away, he would be hard pressed to keep up with a few other owners. The guy that owns CAR could buy and sell Booger over a couple of times.

It is the existence of the cap, coupled with hiring Johnson to turn it around and Parcells for cred to get the stadium, that allowed him to have the highest rated team in value. It was the cap that kept him from overspending more than he already has for talent.

mcmvp

Reaction score

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
They got nuthin' but their own skid marked streaked skivvies on this one ,without verifiable documentation ,my fellow friends of Cowboys Fandom,,, They Got a a big Fat NOTHING on this over reach of persecutory clutching gasp of lameness,,,OH, YES!, do not doubt ito_O

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's because at that time, he had the best team, that's why they used him as an example. DeBartolo was the first to get caught circumventing the cap and the owners wisely saw that the league could end up being about 4-6 teams and a bunch of also rans. Without the cap, I doubt the NFL would be as profitable or popular as it is.

Some viewed it as a business but the true visionaries knew they had to do their best to keep it a sport.

The other side of that is no team spends like the Yankees, one would think it would be over before the first pitch of the season.

Based on Booger's lack of talent evaluation back then, he would have blown his bucks and been the Yankees of the NFL, highest payroll and not much to show for it. Rozelle knew and so did Taglibue and now Goodell, as much of the game needs to be in the hands of football people as possible if it is to continue ruling the sports landscape. In order to grow, they had to control the money guys that are used to winning with money.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They got nuthin' but their own skid marked streaked skivvies on this one ,without verifiable documentation ,my fellow friends of Cowboys Fandom,,, They Got a a big Fat NOTHING on this over reach of persecutory clutching gasp of lameness,,,OH, YES!, do not doubt ito_O
Take a bunch of billionaires and put them in a competitive 14B enterprise, what could possibly go wrong? Hell, if they're all following the rules, I must rethink everything I know or suspect.

JeffAtl

Reaction score
The role players have a guaranteed minimum contact that, in many cases, does not affect the cap (i.e., your bottom of the roster guys). Please try again.

Every contract affects the cap. The cap is $182M/yr that can be spread across 53 players. That means that if distributed evenly, each player can receive about $3.4M/yr.

When a superstar wants $20M/yr, that means that several players that would be making $3M/yr are going to get replaced with guys making the league minimum (about $700k for 2 year vet).

As I said, that is taking food out of the mouths of mid-level guys, not the owners.

GenoT

Reaction score
The Green Bay packers under Vince Lombardi won three (pre-SB) NFL Chips, in 1959, 1961 and 1962 — all three with veteran all-pro Jim Ringo at center. Ringo was the leader of the GB line and called all the blocking audibles; a critical job in the Lombardi offense, which featured very few actual plays but many options for each play.

Following the 1963 season, when contract time came around, Ringo sent in an attorney to bargain with Lombardi for his 1964 contract; an unprecedented move, at least for the Packers.

On meeting Ringo’s “agent”, the non-plussed Lombardi excused himself and left the room.

Upon his return, @15-20mins later, Lombardi came back and told Ringo’s lawyer that he was speaking to the wrong man.

“What do you mean?”, asked the lawyer.

Vince Lombardi replied, “Jim Ringo now plays for the Philadelphia Eagles.”

True story.

Lutonio

Reaction score
First, it sounds like the agents need to do a better job of educating their clients not engage in such talks and make themselves useful.

Second, I seriously doubt Jerry Jones is worried about an organization as weak and flaccid as the NFLPA.