NFL's Fastest Players

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
This goes to your comment that Hayes didn’t look like he was breaking away from people, and that’s a ridiculously false statement. The man averaged 20 yards per catch over his career - 26.1 yards per catch in 1970. That doesn’t happening without consistently breaking away from opponents.

And no, there aren’t a lot of players that by themselves forced opponents to create a new defensive form to defend specifically against them. That happened precisely because Hayes was consistently blowing past and breaking away from opposing defenses. Nobody in the game at that time was even close to being able to run with him.

I didn’t say it didn’t look like he was breaking away from people, I said his sub-4.00 40 didn’t translate on the field. He wasn’t 10 yard past the corner and safety every play, catching 400 yards and 6 tds a game.

Think about a 4.8 corner on Desean Jackson. He’d be wide open on every single play, it’d be ugly. Like playing a high school team. That difference is the same as a normal 4.5 corner on a sub-4.00 guy. He’d be open by many body lengths even on a mid route. He never played THAT fast, which is why it’s entirely viable to name another person as the fastest player on the field. Because there are players who both run a 4.2 AND play at 4.2 speed, like Darrell green.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bob Hayes would be fast in this era as well. He ran a 10.06 at the Olympics on what looked like a dirt track wearing loose clothing. If he had run on the new high tech tracks, with the body suits that sprinters wear now, along with the training that they receive today, no doubt he could shave .3-.5 off his time and be right there with Bolt and others.

Its one of those arguments you can't really prove. Hayes Tokyo performance was amazing. He ran in borrowed shoes in the most worn out lane on the track. But, track is about times. Every tenth of a second is around a yard. So, Bolt wins by almost 5 yards which is a rout in sprinting. Bolts technique is also superior. That said, Bob didn't run after his early twenties and never focused on track. Had he stuck around for the synthetic track in Mexico City 1968 in the high altitude, he probably sets a sprint record that stands 40 years.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
I rewatched this garbage and I couldn't believe who they had at #1. Bullet Bob Hayes was once clocked at 5.28 in the 60-yard dash. The NFL din't have any record of 40 times for Bob Hayes. If you convert the time to the 40, Bullet Bob would have ran a sub 4.0!

The man was thee fastest man in the world, yet he came in on this list as #2.

His "bubble gum trading/collecting card" I'd scored as a preteen kid proudly stated that Cat as to being: The World's Fastest Human,,,:thumbup:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I didn’t say it didn’t look like he was breaking away from people, I said his sub-4.00 40 didn’t translate on the field. He wasn’t 10 yard past the corner and safety every play, catching 400 yards and 6 tds a game.

Think about a 4.8 corner on Desean Jackson. He’d be wide open on every single play, it’d be ugly. Like playing a high school team. That difference is the same as a normal 4.5 corner on a sub-4.00 guy. He’d be open by many body lengths even on a mid route. He never played THAT fast, which is why it’s entirely viable to name another person as the fastest player on the field. Because there are players who both run a 4.2 AND play at 4.2 speed, like Darrell green.
Oh, so your standard for measuring speed is if a receiver runs by the secondary every play and gets 400 yards and 6 TDs a game ...

Well, I guess the NFL has never had a particularly speedy player ... or track and field for that matter. It’s apparently a slow damn world. Lol

Last edited:

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Oh, so your standard for measuring speed is if a receiver runs by the secondary every play and gets 400 yards and 6 TDs a game ...

Well, I guess the NFL has never had a particularly speedy player ... or track and field for that matter. It’s apparently a slow damn world. Lol

When a player is more than a half second faster than everyone around him, yeah 400 yards and 6 tds wouldn’t be out of the question.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When a player is more than a half second faster than everyone around him, yeah 400 yards and 6 tds wouldn’t be out of the question.

So, nobody in the history of the NFL has ever qualified as a deep threat, or an ultra fast player ... so what is your point in participating in this topic?

Hadenough

Reaction score
I would of loved to see Dieon Sanders and Darrell Green both in their prime run a 100yd sprint. I also think Willie Gault won a few of those fastest men in the NFL contests.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My point is hundreds of players have.

Hundreds of players have done what? Take your pick …

Hundreds of players have had 400 yard 6 TD games?

Hundreds of players have forced the NFL to create new defenses designed specifically to find a way to defend against them?

Hundreds of players have averaged 20 yards per catch over their careers?

Hundreds of players have averaged 26 yards per catch in a season?

Hundreds of players have won the Olympic Gold medal in the 100 yard/100 meter?

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Hundreds of players have done what? Take your pick …

Hundreds of players have had 400 yard 6 TD games?

Hundreds of players have forced the NFL to create new defenses designed specifically to find a way to defend against them?

Hundreds of players have averaged 20 yards per catch over their careers?

Hundreds of players have averaged 26 yards per catch in a season?

Hundreds of players have won the Olympic Gold medal in the 100 yard/100 meter?

“Qualified as a deep threat, or an ultra fast player”

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
Darrel Green was fast. He wasn’t literaly the fadtest man on earth. Bob Hayes was.

Hayes is the second Olympic gold medalist to be inducted to the Hall of Fame, after Jim Thorpe. He currently holds the record for the fastest 4 × 100 m anchor leg of all time, as well as the world record for the 70-yard dash (with a time of 6.9 seconds). He also is tied for the world's second fastest time in the 60-yard dash. He was once considered the world's fastest human by virtue of his multiple world records in the 60-yard, 100-yard, 220-yard, and Olympic 100-meter dashes. Hayes is the only athlete to win both an Olympic gold medal and a Super Bowl ring.

Game over
Several of the records Bob set still stand they have not been broken

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
“Qualified as a deep threat, or an ultra fast player”
Nobody said there weren’t others that were considered ultra fast. That wasn’t the point of contention. You said Hayes never appeared to break away from defenders, and all the evidence is to the contrary. For the time he played there was nobody in his class in terms of speed