Video: Nick Wright thinks Dak is nuts not to take top 5 money

bsbellomy

Reaction score
comparing dak to other qb's is silly, compare all the other qb's to tom brady, and then tell me why cousins makes more than brady ?? huh come on now tell me.

Sue me if I don't want the name Dak Prescott to replace the name of Kirk Cousins on a Google Search of NFL's worst contract.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Dak is offered Top 5 money and turns it down, he isn't long for the Cowboys.

At all.

ColoradoCowboy

Reaction score
comparing dak to other qb's is silly, compare all the other qb's to tom brady, and then tell me why cousins makes more than brady ?? huh come on now tell me.
Because Brady's wife is worth half a billion and he doesn't have this "once in a lifetime opportunity" pressure on his contract.

cern

Reaction score
dak has to play very well to get the big money. if a deal is not completed,, he can't sit out. well, he can, but by not playing he would only be hurting himself. and he can be tagged the following two years. if he puts himself in a position of having to audition for the rest of the league, things might not work out as good for him as he thinks. that's what it took for cousins who played under the tag twice. cooper's solid, but can still be tagged twice. zeke's jumping the gun and would probably cave if things go south. especially is some other rb's step it up. would love to see that happen.

cern

Reaction score
is there anyone here that reallly thinks if Dak was a FREE AGENT that any team would pay him 30 million? You think the Dolphins would give Dak a 4 year deal worth 120 million with 70 million guaranteed????
yes. and not necessarily because he's worth it but teams often overpay for positions of need.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
is there anyone here that reallly thinks if Dak was a FREE AGENT that any team would pay him 30 million? You think the Dolphins would give Dak a 4 year deal worth 120 million with 70 million guaranteed????
Yes, I do think a team would pay Dak $30MM. The Dolphins, no. They already acquired Rosen and Fitzpatrick, so they have to go with them.

CWR

Reaction score
Yes, I do think a team would pay Dak $30MM. The Dolphins, no. They already acquired Rosen and Fitzpatrick, so they have to go with them.

What team? No snark intended, Im only curious as to what team(s) you think would spend like that on Dak.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I mentioned draft as well.

The move is to let Dak play this season and if he still doesn’t sniff 30 TD passes then you let him test the market and walk if someone is stupid enough to pay him.
The red rifle is not bad. He just plays for the Bungles. If Dak and Dalton switched places I don't think there would be any drop off either way.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What team? No snark intended, Im only curious as to what team(s) you think would spend like that on Dak.

If you are talking about who would take him today, that's not really a fair question because Dak wasn't available when teams were looking at free agents and deciding on whether to draft a QB. But had he been a free agent after last season I think the Broncos would much rather have signed Dak than use up a lot of resources by signing an aging and diminishing Flacco and also having to draft Lock in the second round as insurance and for the future. I think the Skins might have considered Dak over drafting Haskins, thereby diminishing the Cowboys chances at the same time. I think Jacksonville would have looked hard at taking Dak over Foles. The Titans are clearly not sold on Mariota or they wouldn't have brought in Tannehill, and I believe they would much rather have had Dak.

As for next season, when Dak will be a free agent if not signed or franchised, there are of course, unknown variables, such as what kind of season Dak will have and what may happen that we don't yet know about (injuries, player declines etc) that would open more opportunities across the league, but here are some possible opportunities just from what we know now ... Tampa Bay is clearly not thrilled with Winston, and his contract will be up. Andy Dalton will be on a team option year, and the Bengals could easily want to go another direction rather than sticking with a 32 year old QB and with what hasn't worked. Cam Newton will also be on an option year, and Carolina drafted a 3rd round QB hoping he might develop, but Dak would be more of a sure thing. Josh Allen stunk it up for Buffalo last year, so if he has a similar year this year Dak would be an option.

Reactions: CWR

davidariust24

Reaction score
Dak is not a top 5 qb . He should jump at that deal. This is where you tell your agent that deal is good enough. The agent works for you not the other way around. Dak has made over 7 million in endorsements I think that's per season. He's not making that on the Bills or Dolphins or Bengals. He's has benefited by being with the cowboys already . He shouldn't fool h in himself or allow his agents to tell him something different. That is the truth.

okstateCowboy

Reaction score
This reminds me of when the Mavs offered Nerlens Noel over $20 million a year when he was a restricted free agent. He declined and chose to test free agency the next year. Ended up signing for the veteran minimum with OKC

CWR

Reaction score
If you are talking about who would take him today, that's not really a fair question because Dak wasn't available when teams were looking at free agents and deciding on whether to draft a QB. But had he been a free agent after last season I think the Broncos would much rather have signed Dak than use up a lot of resources by signing an aging and diminishing Flacco and also having to draft Lock in the second round as insurance and for the future. I think the Skins might have considered Dak over drafting Haskins, thereby diminishing the Cowboys chances at the same time. I think Jacksonville would have looked hard at taking Dak over Foles. The Titans are clearly not sold on Mariota or they wouldn't have brought in Tannehill, and I believe they would much rather have had Dak.

As for next season, when Dak will be a free agent if not signed or franchised, there are of course, unknown variables, such as what kind of season Dak will have and what may happen that we don't yet know about (injuries, player declines etc) that would open more opportunities across the league, but here are some possible opportunities just from what we know now ... Tampa Bay is clearly not thrilled with Winston, and his contract will be up. Andy Dalton will be on a team option year, and the Bengals could easily want to go another direction rather than sticking with a 32 year old QB and with what hasn't worked. Cam Newton will also be on an option year, and Carolina drafted a 3rd round QB hoping he might develop, but Dak would be more of a sure thing. Josh Allen stunk it up for Buffalo last year, so if he has a similar year this year Dak would be an option.

Thats fair, good post. Yes next season there will be a handful of teams who would consider Dak. Thats said if one of those teams does sign him we will likely look to pick up the left overs.

The question is how much if any will that be a downgrade vs cap savings.

Daks value isn't fully known at this point. If we get the Dak from the second half of last year he will be worth the money. If Dak from the first 8 games or so shows up thats another story.

At this point Im betting on Dak. That said, if he's looking for top QB money Id let him play it out. The whole reason to sign these guys early is to save some cap. If they dont see it that way then it may be more prudent to let them play it out, at least in Daks case. If hes excelling sign him mid season.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thats fair, good post. Yes next season there will be a handful of teams who would consider Dak. Thats said if one of those teams does sign him we will likely look to pick up the left overs.

The question is how much if any will that be a downgrade vs cap savings.

Daks value isn't fully known at this point. If we get the Dak from the second half of last year he will be worth the money. If Dak from the first 8 games or so shows up thats another story.

At this point Im betting on Dak. That said, if he's looking for top QB money Id let him play it out. The whole reason to sign these guys early is to save some cap. If they dont see it that way then it may be more prudent to let them play it out, at least in Daks case. If hes excelling sign him mid season.

I think the market has shifted to a point where it's not unreasonable for Dak to look for something around what Wentz got. I think it is unreasonable for him to expect what Russell Wilson got. In my mind $30-32MM/year would be about the right fit, but $35 is not.

Of course, probably the more important factors are signing bonus and guaranteed money. The guaranteed portion of both Wilson and Wentz contract is about $107MM, but Wilson got much more if it up front with a $65MM signing bonus compared to $16MM for Wentz. Dak shouldn't expect anything like Wilson's signing bonus.

Reactions: CWR

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
This all makes me wonder what Dak would fetch if he were to hit the open market. Do other teams feel that Dak is worth a top five salary for a QB?

Ken

Reaction score
Wonder how the Dak slobberers can twist this. Dak and his agents are idiots if they don’t take this deal (if true).
Slobberer here and I agree with Nick Wright in that Dak should take the top 5 money and run.

It is a huge risk to play this season as a lot could go wrong.

There is also a chance that he has a great season and gets even more money. I am a believer in not being greedy and taking what is available to you, which is an amazing amount of money.

BigCatMonaco

Reaction score

Yep

Reid1boys

Reaction score

the question wasnt who might prefer dak over their current guy. The question was who is going to pay Dak 30 million per??