News: No excuses left in make-or-break year for Jason Garrett and the Cowboys

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Wholeheartedly disagree.

There is a reason why Garrett is a lame-duck head coach.

A reason why his contract has not been renewed.

And that reason is that even the incredible patience of Jerry Jones has run out.

The fact is that barring a deep playoff run, Jones knows that he can't "sell him" to the fanbase anymore. And his own actions here prove that. He may as well just stand on a stage and flip the middle finger to the fanbase than to try to retain Garrett if he disappoints again. That would be exactly what he would be doing by those actions. And he knows it.

There's a combination of fan discontent and their having grown more than tired of the excuses, and Jones' own motivation to win a championship before he either steps down, or passes on. The death of Texans' owner Bob McNair resonated with Jones, and he sees his own mortality, and he knows he can no longer afford to wait for Jason Garrett to "get it". He wins this year or he's gone. Count on it.
What about Richard. Lots of talk about him being the next Cowboys HC.
He's going to have to be the head defensive coordinator before he's ever head coach

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
And that’s the bigger conundrum. I think most fans agree we need a greater HC and coaching staff.

The question is though ; will Jerry attract and or pursue one? Most likely it will be next puppet up.
My question is this. 2 minutes time management what are we looking for in a head coach your offense or defense is only as good as your coordinators. So it's up to the head coach to implement the game plan each week. Are they getting input from the quarterback. The players. I just don't know how much control Jason Garrett really has. I don't have a problem with this 2 minutes time management

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Most experts and analysts I’ve seen are predicting us to finish 2nd behind Egirls and somewhere between 4th and 7th in NFC.

Handicappers have us as 9 over/under in win total. And Super Bowl odds have us below Rams, Saints, Eagles in NFC.

So, I’m not sure where these expectations are coming from?

So Vegas odd makers would still have us in post season?

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
I understand that but as I have said many times, I hope he gets his life together but, I wish no bad for him but this is a football team and their goal is one thing or should be 1 thing and that is to win. Winning with people you can't trust or count on makes the job much harder. We don't see other teams doing this because these players are dead weight for the team and thus are cut loose.

I expect more from Garrett but find it interesting that people would love to have Sean Payton as HC yet has not won a SB in the last 8 years despite having one of the 3 elite QB in the NFL. I like Payton myself but come on what has he done as of late? Not much
and garrett hasn't won a divisional playoff game ever in his whole time as a coach payton has at least won a superbowl

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's going to have to be the head defensive coordinator before he's ever head coach

That's a head scratcher for me. Richard is already more of the defensive coordinator than Marinelli is, and he was going back to last year when he was the one calling the plays. Marinelli is coordinator in name only in some show of respect which I disagree with. He simply wants to coach the defensive line and his 'Rushmen" at this point. Richard handles the 7-man backend of the defense - which is the vast majority of it.

visionary

Reaction score
There is no such thing as the perfect roster - but the one in Dallas is hard to top.

This is always the time of optimism around the NFL. Teams have a new crop of rookies that perfectly meet their needs (or so they say), plus the new free agents that were exactly who they were looking for (or so they say), and the returning vets are all in the best shape of their careers and will be improved this fall (you know what goes here). Despite being sold the same bill of goods year after year, fans still get sucked in, only for most of them to see their team fall short of the playoffs. But for a handful, those factors mentioned above really are true, or at least largely so. That may well apply to the 2019 Dallas Cowboys.

That is of course important for the hopes of the team and its fans alike, but it is particularly key for head coach Jason Garrett. He is in the last year of his contract, with owner/general manager Jerry Jones basically saying he believes he can succeed - but he wants to see it before he offers an extension. However, this offseason has looked more like a team going “all in” than it has in years. This roster is deep and looks dangerous, and Garrett’s staff looks more unified and solid as well. Let’s break things down.

The changes to the coaching staff were limited, but huge

Many were clamoring for it to happen, and arguably it was at least a year overdue. The biggest move of any kind in 2019 for the Cowboys was the termination of Scott Linehan as offensive coordinator, with the corresponding promotion of Kellen Moore and the accompanying hire of Jon Kitna to replace Moore as QB coach.

It is perhaps a bit of piling on, but it had become clear that Linehan was a problem in a couple of ways. The reports of growing tension between him and both his head coach and players seem accurate. He repeatedly lapsed back into predictable play calls, but worse, he telegraphed what he was doing with personnel and formations far too often. Ezekiel Elliott is a formidable weapon, but running him into a stacked defensive box because the defense is reading run all the way just does not pay. Add in that the offensive line was compromised by the absence of Travis Frederick and having to work in a rookie, Connor Williams, and what should have been nearly certain short-yardage conversions were too often being stuffed. First down runs often suffered from the same issues as well, especially after the early, scripted part of the game.

In promoting Moore, the main reasons revolve around innovation and fresh ideas. This does not mean that he is going to come in with a bunch of new plays. Based on interviews with the staff this past week, it is more about using what already exists to better effect, with the incorporation of more pre-snap motion and shifting players from one role to another on the field. It is not surprising that the leadership sounds all positive about it, since it was their decision. But the reviews have been exceptionally strong from the players as well.

If Moore can bring this to calling the offense it could be exciting. And so far, Garrett seems to be giving him the freedom to do his thing.

Meanwhile, Kitna may be just what Dak Prescott needs. Moore’s strengths appear to be in calling plays, not coaching up his quarterback. Kitna is the opposite, and his comments during the past week reflect what he brings to the table.

Unlike Moore, Kitna has many NFL starts under his belt - 124, to be exact. He truly knows what a QB faces. If he is good at teaching technique (which is unfortunately limited under CBA rules), he can help Prescott take the next step.

Meanwhile, Kris Richard is now coming into his second year as part of what is a surprising well-functioning partnership with Rod Marinelli running the defense. And we shouldn’t overlook the retention of Marc Colombo as the offensive line coach. All in all, this may be the best and most cohesive staff Garrett has had. And one that shows very few fingerprints of the owners in assembling.

The roster is just as strong

Read the rest here:

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...eak-year-for-jason-garrett-and-dallas-cowboys

This article perfectly sums up my own feelings about this team and staff as well - no excuses. Get the job done or this organization will make changes. You go up and down this roster and most every team in the league would kill to have as much young talent. Player personnel is arguably the strongest it's been since the team's of the 90's. Barring significant injury, the only way this team fails is because the coaches failed to do their part

Stash, no offense but I think we've seen these threads every off season for the last 5 years at least

The reality is that this year Garrett has the perfect get out of jail free card in the person of Kellen Moore.

If Moore does well it'll be: see, Garrett is a great mentor, let's extend him to keep this going

If Moore is average: it's Moore's first year. He is installing a new offense, let's keep this going and we'll be better next year

If Moore is horrible: Garrett was saddled with Moore by Jerry. Fire Moore and get a new OC

Garrett's getting extended barring a 4-12 season which ain't happening with our early schedule being so easy

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I agreed about safety, and I said that from the start. In fact, I'm still holding out hope that a deal for Karl Joseph happens before the season starts. But I don't think you've mentioned specific starters that needed to be upgraded and weren't.

And would you consider that better or worse for a team that finished the year 6-1?

Experience and reliability if nothing else. And a bigger red zone threat in my opinion.

That's why I'm optimistic. Fred returning and better play from whoever is at left guard, along with young players continuing to improve.

I really like the player talent.

Im optimistic. But the main reason is that Frederick is back and the maturation of Gallup and Williams. Not because of anything they did in the offseason.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Im optimistic. But the main reason is that Frederick is back and the maturation of Gallup and Williams. Not because of anything they did in the offseason.

But that's my point, they really didn't have to do a whole lot.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
and garrett hasn't won a divisional playoff game ever in his whole time as a coach payton has at least won a superbowl

Not comparing them only stating even with one of the top QB in the league and history of the game they have managed 1 that should tell you how hard it is that a coach of his quality along with a top QB and still have but 1. Rodgers and GB same way. I have stated what Garrett has done give him no free pass and time is running out and if I had to guess I would say anything less than a great season this year very well could be his last in Dallas. Having said that should he get his team to the title game and win he will have earned an extension.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
It appears so but I’ve seen few predictions to win division or make it to championship game. And why it’s difficult for me to have higher expectations than last year without seeing more.

I don't ask you to have high or low or any expectation, I don't try to tell you what you should think. I can only tell you my view and I like this team and I like their chances.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stash, no offense but I think we've seen these threads every off season for the last 5 years at least

None taken, I understand the frustrations, believe me. I've been there.

The reality is that this year Garrett has the perfect get out of jail free card in the person of Kellen Moore.

If Moore does well it'll be: see, Garrett is a great mentor, let's extend him to keep this going

If Moore is average: it's Moore's first year. He is installing a new offense, let's keep this going and we'll be better next year

If Moore is horrible: Garrett was saddled with Moore by Jerry. Fire Moore and get a new OC

Garrett's getting extended barring a 4-12 season which ain't happening with our early schedule being so easy

Totally disagree.

Moore gives him no excuse, and I don't know where the notion comes from that it was Jones that somehow forced him on Garrett.

Garrett and Jones realize that this is it. Even the great salesman can't sell this any longer. And he no longer wants to try.

Answer this for me. If Jones truly wanted to keep Garrett around, why didn't he? Why isn't an extension already done if that's what Jones wants and results don't matter like you're suggesting?

No, this is the end. The light at the end of the tunnel for those long-suffering.

Garrett either wins or he's no longer this team's head coach. I fully expect that he would still have some sort of a role in the organization and be "let down easy", but he will be out. Heck, they couldn't even admit it when they fired Linehan, but they did. Garrett may still have a role, but it won't be as head coach.

visionary

Reaction score
None taken, I understand the frustrations, believe me. I've been there.

Totally disagree.

Moore gives him no excuse, and I don't know where the notion comes from that it was Jones that somehow forced him on Garrett.

Garrett and Jones realize that this is it. Even the great salesman can't sell this any longer. And he no longer wants to try.

Answer this for me. If Jones truly wanted to keep Garrett around, why didn't he? Why isn't an extension already done if that's what Jones wants and results don't matter like you're suggesting?

No, this is the end. The light at the end of the tunnel for those long-suffering.

Garrett either wins or he's no longer this team's head coach. I fully expect that he would still have some sort of a role in the organization and be "let down easy", but he will be out. Heck, they couldn't even admit it when they fired Linehan, but they did. Garrett may still have a role, but it won't be as head coach.

Wait and see buddy, wait and see

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wait and see buddy, wait and see

You too my friend. And believe me, if he fails and it doesn't happen? I'll have my torch and pitchfork walking right next to you!
CandidAnotherFattaileddunnart-size_restricted.gif

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I really haven’t sensed a Lynch Mob crowd beyond a segment of fans on this board. Local beat writers and or local media certainly haven’t published or aired anything directly stating as such.

Jerry waited last time Jason was in his final year of contract. Fans have created this “Win A Championship or Fired “ mentality which Jerry hasn’t stated there’s additional pressure to advance further this season.

It appears to be more of a very vocal minority either trolling on Garrett or intent in creating Drama. Lol

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hopefully we win the SB and don't have to worry about pitchforks

That happens and I'll be leading the charge for Garrett's extension. He will have earned it. Accountability works both ways and that's all I've ever asked for with him.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I really haven’t sensed a Lynch Mob crowd beyond a segment of fans on this board. Local beat writers and or local media certainly haven’t published or aired anything directly stating as such.

Jerry waited last time Jason was in his final year of contract. Fans have created this “Win A Championship or Fired “ mentality which Jerry hasn’t stated there’s additional pressure to advance further this season.

It appears to be more of a very vocal minority either trolling on Garrett or intent in creating Drama. Lol

True but last time Garrett was in the final year of his contract the Cowboys went 12-4 and Jerry then extended the deal. Hard to say what Jerry would do if this team fails to live up to his own expectations. I don't buy into it is SB or bust but I do think Jerry expects them to build off of last season and show improvement.