News: No excuses left in make-or-break year for Jason Garrett and the Cowboys

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
They drafted not one, but two.

They added Covington as well there. No big names, if that's what constitutes improvement. But they did use their top draft pick at the position.

Im talking about starters buddy. Lets try and stick with the argument here. They drafted and signed no one for safety that is going to drastically improve those starting positions. You wanted me to explain my stance and I have done it.

If you don't agree, then that's great.

The offense and defense they are trotting on the field when the season starts is going to be relatively the same team they had last year save Quinn in for Gregory, Cobb in for Beasley and Frederick back from injury.

Witten in for one of those backup TE's is probably the biggest gain of all. So there is that.

But like I said...…….Frederick alone is monsterous, and I expect organic improvements from Williams and Gallup to really help the cause. And then there is the Moore factor.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
When the NFL decides to change its archaic stance on marijuana, Randy Gregory will be a steal. Correct me if I'm wrong, but marijuana is the only issue he's ever had, right? It would be dumb to outright release him to be that steal for someone else. And that's why the team not only stuck by him, but they extended him.

Do you really want to ignore the extenuating circumstances with the Saints?

Bottom like Gregory can't be counted on, no other teams in the NFL will waste time on a player who can't be counted on. He is close to being a FA I hope like hell they do not continue to invest time on him. I would also add this is the same rule that has been in place with the NFL for a long time, they allow guys to fail before they even hand down a suspension fact is Gregory has been failing this test since the combines. What is stupid is putting your faith in a player who has shown time and again he can't be counted on.

Oh the Saints extenuating circumstance? like what a bad call? yeah hard to feel for them when I have seen Dallas gets hosed on a bad call yet it was still no excuse for this team or this staff. Fact remains Payton and I do think he is a very good coach has not won anything in the past 8 years. Maybe that should tell people how hard it is to win it all, you can have one of the elite QB as they do in Brees and still fail more than you succeed

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Im talking about starters buddy. Lets try and stick with the argument here. They drafted and signed no one for safety that is going to drastically improve those starting positions. You wanted me to explain my stance and I have done it.

If you don't agree, then that's great.

I agreed about safety, and I said that from the start. In fact, I'm still holding out hope that a deal for Karl Joseph happens before the season starts. But I don't think you've mentioned specific starters that needed to be upgraded and weren't.

The offense and defense they are trotting on the field when the season starts is going to be relatively the same team they had last year save Quinn in for Gregory, Cobb in for Beasley and Frederick back from injury.

And would you consider that better or worse for a team that finished the year 6-1?

Witten in for one of those backup TE's is probably the biggest gain of all. So there is that.

Experience and reliability if nothing else. And a bigger red zone threat in my opinion.

But like I said...…….Frederick alone is monsterous, and I expect organic improvements from Williams and Gallup to really help the cause. And then there is the Moore factor.

That's why I'm optimistic. Fred returning and better play from whoever is at left guard, along with young players continuing to improve.

I really like the player talent.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Not saying Hope is a plan I like this team I look at the lineup and I expect big things from them. People here can have low expectations, high expectation or no expectations that is to each person to determine for themselves. I'm stating I expect a lot out of this team I don't do it out of hope I do it based on the players we have
But if we don’t know if this roster will be as good as last until we see it perform , how can we bolster our expectations ahead of last years results?

Last edited:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
But if we don’t know if this roster will be as good as last until we see it perform , how can we bolster our expectations ahead of last years results?

Based on the players who are on this team. Can you predict how any team will do? every team loses players but when I look at the over all roster the OL the skill position, they defense I see a team whom I expect to compete and challenge.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
There is no such thing as the perfect roster - but the one in Dallas is hard to top.

This is always the time of optimism around the NFL. Teams have a new crop of rookies that perfectly meet their needs (or so they say), plus the new free agents that were exactly who they were looking for (or so they say), and the returning vets are all in the best shape of their careers and will be improved this fall (you know what goes here). Despite being sold the same bill of goods year after year, fans still get sucked in, only for most of them to see their team fall short of the playoffs. But for a handful, those factors mentioned above really are true, or at least largely so. That may well apply to the 2019 Dallas Cowboys.

That is of course important for the hopes of the team and its fans alike, but it is particularly key for head coach Jason Garrett. He is in the last year of his contract, with owner/general manager Jerry Jones basically saying he believes he can succeed - but he wants to see it before he offers an extension. However, this offseason has looked more like a team going “all in” than it has in years. This roster is deep and looks dangerous, and Garrett’s staff looks more unified and solid as well. Let’s break things down.

The changes to the coaching staff were limited, but huge

Many were clamoring for it to happen, and arguably it was at least a year overdue. The biggest move of any kind in 2019 for the Cowboys was the termination of Scott Linehan as offensive coordinator, with the corresponding promotion of Kellen Moore and the accompanying hire of Jon Kitna to replace Moore as QB coach.

It is perhaps a bit of piling on, but it had become clear that Linehan was a problem in a couple of ways. The reports of growing tension between him and both his head coach and players seem accurate. He repeatedly lapsed back into predictable play calls, but worse, he telegraphed what he was doing with personnel and formations far too often. Ezekiel Elliott is a formidable weapon, but running him into a stacked defensive box because the defense is reading run all the way just does not pay. Add in that the offensive line was compromised by the absence of Travis Frederick and having to work in a rookie, Connor Williams, and what should have been nearly certain short-yardage conversions were too often being stuffed. First down runs often suffered from the same issues as well, especially after the early, scripted part of the game.

In promoting Moore, the main reasons revolve around innovation and fresh ideas. This does not mean that he is going to come in with a bunch of new plays. Based on interviews with the staff this past week, it is more about using what already exists to better effect, with the incorporation of more pre-snap motion and shifting players from one role to another on the field. It is not surprising that the leadership sounds all positive about it, since it was their decision. But the reviews have been exceptionally strong from the players as well.

If Moore can bring this to calling the offense it could be exciting. And so far, Garrett seems to be giving him the freedom to do his thing.

Meanwhile, Kitna may be just what Dak Prescott needs. Moore’s strengths appear to be in calling plays, not coaching up his quarterback. Kitna is the opposite, and his comments during the past week reflect what he brings to the table.

Unlike Moore, Kitna has many NFL starts under his belt - 124, to be exact. He truly knows what a QB faces. If he is good at teaching technique (which is unfortunately limited under CBA rules), he can help Prescott take the next step.

Meanwhile, Kris Richard is now coming into his second year as part of what is a surprising well-functioning partnership with Rod Marinelli running the defense. And we shouldn’t overlook the retention of Marc Colombo as the offensive line coach. All in all, this may be the best and most cohesive staff Garrett has had. And one that shows very few fingerprints of the owners in assembling.

The roster is just as strong

Read the rest here:

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...eak-year-for-jason-garrett-and-dallas-cowboys

This article perfectly sums up my own feelings about this team and staff as well - no excuses. Get the job done or this organization will make changes. You go up and down this roster and most every team in the league would kill to have as much young talent. Player personnel is arguably the strongest it's been since the team's of the 90's. Barring significant injury, the only way this team fails is because the coaches failed to do their part
Bro, you should have put Marinelli's name up in the title.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bottom like Gregory can't be counted on, no other teams in the NFL will waste time on a player who can't be counted on. He is close to being a FA I hope like hell they do not continue to invest time on him. I would also add this is the same rule that has been in place with the NFL for a long time, they allow guys to fail before they even hand down a suspension fact is Gregory has been failing this test since the combines. What is stupid is putting your faith in a player who has shown time and again he can't be counted on.

Get ready for continued disappointment, I guess you were unaware that Gregory was in fact extended.

Oh the Saints extenuating circumstance? like what a bad call? yeah hard to feel for them when I have seen Dallas gets hosed on a bad call yet it was still no excuse for this team or this staff.

One of the worst missed calls in league history is the only thing that kept the Saints out of - and possibly winning - the Super Bowl. You know it and I know it. And a miracle play from the Vikings kept them out of the NFC Championship Game the year before. They've been as in contention as any team not from New England. You can try to ignore the obvious if you want to, I can't make someone see what they'd clearly rather not.

Fact remains Payton and I do think he is a very good coach has not won anything in the past 8 years. Maybe that should tell people how hard it is to win it all, you can have one of the elite QB as they do in Brees and still fail more than you succeed

Another Garrett excuse then?

Winning is hard?

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Oh the Saints extenuating circumstance? like what a bad call? yeah hard to feel for them when I have seen Dallas gets hosed on a bad call yet it was still no excuse for this team or this staff. Fact remains Payton and I do think he is a very good coach has not won anything in the past 8 years. Maybe that should tell people how hard it is to win it all, you can have one of the elite QB as they do in Brees and still fail more than you succeed
FYI—We’ve already extended Gregory.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...oys-extend-randy-gregorys-contract-through-20

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Get ready for continued disappointment, I guess you were unaware that Gregory was in fact extended.

One of the worst missed calls in league history is the only thing that kept the Saints out of - and possibly winning - the Super Bowl. You know it and I know it. And a miracle play from the Vikings kept them out of the NFC Championship Game the year before. They've been as in contention as any team not from New England. You can try to ignore the obvious if you want to, I can't make someone see what they'd clearly rather not.

lean.

Another Garrett excuse then?

Winning is hard?

I may be disappointed Cowboys continue to hold on to this meat head and in 5 years we got what out of him? 7 sacks for a DE yeah what a thrill. Now likely another lost season and yet more players being brought in because dumbars can't stay clean.

Yes Saints got hosed and the 7 years prior to that? Excuse me if I don't shed a tear over a bad call. I don't make excuses on bad calls just as I made no excuses on Dez bad call.

I made no excuse for Garrett I made a factual statement winning SB are hard which is why guys like Rodgers only has 1 and Brees only 1 yet in my book 2 of the most outstanding QB. I have said time after time, if Garrett fails and Jerry fires him then so be it, his job is to win and thus far he has only managed to win 79 win to 62 loses and 2 and 3 in post season, not good enough but I like his team that will be hitting the field and it falls to him to get it done

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Based on the players who are on this team. Can you predict how any team will do? every team loses players but when I look at the over all roster the OL the skill position, they defense I see a team whom I expect to compete and challenge.
What if our DL isn’t as good ? What will those effects be on defense overall?

And how will changes in receivers effect a passing offense Already lower tier along with a Redzone offense. Not to mention change at OC.

Too many question marks for me to be setting any expectations at this point above what we accomplished last year.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

And I disagree with Jerry on it, I'm sorry I don't care to see Dallas run a halfway house for idiots who can't stay on the field. No other teams do this and why would that be? It is hard winning and to win you need talented players you can trust and count on. Not Dallas no we have to go into each year wondering which idiot will fails a fricking drug test and thus far the only thing consistent about Gregory is he will likely be one to fail. Come on 5 years 7 sacks total likely a full season missed this season and this is the guy you would pin your hopes on? LOL give me a break they guy is useless to this team, he will produce nothing while being suspended once again.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
The problem is everyone wants to compare to Belicheck as if it's Dallas' birthright to have the best coach in NFL history. Those guys don't grow on trees and every other coach out there has flaws. I wouldn't call JG untouchable, but you better have a sure thing lined up to take his place. The last thing we want is to be that team that cycles through coaches every 3-4 years. JG is not the buffoon the drama queens make him out to be. If you can't see the organizational improvement, at virtually every level, beginning in 2014, then you're missing out. I've enjoyed watching it. It gives me hope that we will ascend this mountain soon.

Now, depending on this season that could change. Depending on next season, that could change. But where we sit now, we have a talented, young roster. We have an experienced coaching staff. We have a QB who should start entering his prime. Now is when it should start falling into place.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
What if our DL isn’t as good ? What will those effects be on defense overall?

And how will changes in receivers effect a passing offense Already lower tier along with a Redzone offense. Not to mention change at OC.

Too many question marks for me to be setting any expectations at this point above what we accomplished last year.

I have not told you what you should expect only what I expect, is that allowed? you have your own views and that is fine. You expect nothing and that is your right. Gregory in my view is not the key to the defense not even close. WR unless injury happen I like Cooper and Gallup I think we are fine. Overall redzone was poor last season yet those redzone numbers vastly improved over the 2nd half of the season and 80% over the last 3 games of the season and now we get Frederick back. I find it funny there are people who played and cover the NFL and have the same high expectation out of this team

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I may be disappointed Cowboys continue to hold on to this meat head and in 5 years we got what out of him? 7 sacks for a DE yeah what a thrill. Now likely another lost season and yet more players being brought in because dumbars can't stay clean.

A very negative position over someone dealing with mental illness in my opinion.

Yes Saints got hosed and the 7 years prior to that?

Excuse me if I don't shed a tear over a bad call. I don't make excuses on bad calls just as I made no excuses on Dez bad call.

Nobody asked you to "shed a tear", why are you getting worked up and emotional about admitting the obvious?

I made no excuse for Garrett I made a factual statement winning SB are hard which is why guys like Rodgers only has 1 and Brees only 1 yet in my book 2 of the most outstanding QB.

And Garrett has 0. Not even close to one. And that's my point. Winning just one buys you clout that never coming close doesn't.

I have said time after time, if Garrett fails and Jerry fires him then so be it, his job is to win and thus far he has only managed to win 79 win to 62 loses and 2 and 3 in post season, not good enough but I like his team that will be hitting the field and it falls to him to get it done

On this we can agree.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
And I disagree with Jerry on it, I'm sorry I don't care to see Dallas run a halfway house for idiots who can't stay on the field. No other teams do this and why would that be? It is hard winning and to win you need talented players you can trust and count on. Not Dallas no we have to go into each year wondering which idiot will fails a fricking drug test and thus far the only thing consistent about Gregory is he will likely be one to fail. Come on 5 years 7 sacks total likely a full season missed this season and this is the guy you would pin your hopes on? LOL give me a break they guy is useless to this team, he will produce nothing while being suspended once again.
I wouldn’t argue with any of that but the fact remains his loss this season potentially effects the talent we had from last years roster.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
A very negative position over someone dealing with mental illness in my opinion.

Nobody asked you to "shed a tear", why are you getting worked up and emotional about admitting the obvious?

And Garrett has 0. Not even close to one. And that's my point. Winning just one buys you clout that never coming close doesn't.

On this we can agree.

I don't mean to sound cruel but fact remains he is not worth a damn if suspended and he manages to do that on a consistent basis. He has been suspended more games than played and while I do hope he can get his life under control and would say that about any person out there it does not change the fact when it comes to this game you must be able to rely on your people being there and playing hard and he has shown he can't be counted on. As I said I watch the Cowboys not to see how many people with personal issues get cured I watch them to compete as a team and for a championship and as far as I'm concerned Gregory is an obstacle to that goal.

Let me say I'm not worked up, believe me. All I stated was how hard it is to win, I have great respect for Sean Payton and think he is a fine HC but even with one of the top QB's in the league he has managed 1 title in his 12 year career last one coming 8 years ago. I think Andy Reid is a very fine HC yet has no SB wins as a HC. Your right Garrett has none and I think his time is running out but as you said winning one buys you clout and it falls to Garrett to do just that. I make no excuses for him

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I wouldn’t argue with any of that but the fact remains his loss this season potentially effects the talent we had from last years roster.

I'm very comfortable with Quinn taking the job. He posted 6.5 sacks while Gregory posted 6 so for me I call it a push yet know what Quinn has been able to do in the past season. I love the LB core and think as good as LVE was he will now have an off season to add weight and strength and expect even more from him. We have young CB who played very well and I think will only improve. You can throw you all the what if's you want and they all seem to lean towards the negatives, myself I don't see it as you do. This is an overall young team who won the NFC East last year and I think they expect more out of themselves.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
We took the youngest starting team in the league, third-youngest overall current to the second round of the playoffs. The confidence alone was priceless. And now we have a defensive rotation. Rebuilt our offensive line. My only issue is tight end that third-down machine. we get that fixed can you say Super Bowl

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I have not told you what you should expect only what I expect, is that allowed? you have your own views and that is fine. You expect nothing and that is your right. Gregory in my view is not the key to the defense not even close. WR unless injury happen I like Cooper and Gallup I think we are fine. Overall redzone was poor last season yet those redzone numbers vastly improved over the 2nd half of the season and 80% over the last 3 games of the season and now we get Frederick back. I find it funny there are people who played and cover the NFL and have the same high expectation out of this team
Most experts and analysts I’ve seen are predicting us to finish 2nd behind Egirls and somewhere between 4th and 7th in NFC.

Handicappers have us as 9 over/under in win total. And Super Bowl odds have us below Rams, Saints, Eagles in NFC.

So, I’m not sure where these expectations are coming from?