News: No excuses left in make-or-break year for Jason Garrett and the Cowboys

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I wonder what jason does now, he has been excluded from the offense, and he isnt a def coach, so he manages game, and What
I wonder is does he control the game plans?? or just have input, or is excluded there too???

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
It's not an acid test. Wait to see how the season plays out and determine if the team meets or exceeds its goals. If it falls short, you examine why it fell short. 95% of the time, fans are going to reflexively blame the coaches or the QB for a team not advancing. From my experience, that's often not actually the case. For example, everybody's shot out of a cannon right now about offensive innovation, when that's not actually something that's very important and it's not really something that's been getting us beat in the first place. But it's an easy thing to get a handle on, and an easy thing to complain about. The reality is, we've had very productive offenses on a per-series basis with pretty much the same amount of innovation we saw last year.

The offense got a lot better when we added a playmaker. That's because the NFL is about players more than it is about a coaching advantage on either side of the ball. You saw the same thing on defense when Sean Lee and Hitchens were both out for a week in 2017. The league is about players more than anything, but it's fun to pretend that a good coach is the difference maker. A great coach makes a difference. An all-time coach makes a huge difference. But generally speaking, it's the players that matter a lot more. And we've made some good moves re: personnel the last few years, and specifically this offseason. We should be in really good shape.
I wonder if thefans of the pats feel the same way about their coach as u feel about yours

408Cowboy

Reaction score
Tricky word right there stash, input. The chicken had input into the soup but didn't cook it.
Chicken was put into the soup. I highly doubt it had any voice in how it was to be portioned cooked and seasoned.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
It reads like you started in one place "the FO did very little to make this team BETTER THIS year", and ended up in the same place I am - "I was impressed about in looking over this roster was the amount of depth we have".
They did little to Improve the starters. Depth is good however in areas. Backups.

basel90

Reaction score
NFC championship game or bust . That is the minimum . He already spend all the goodwill , excuses, etc. He has made verifiable blunders during the games, he has picked the wrong assistants before. His message is getting tired without a super bowl appearance . The fans and pundits already beleive he is not a game changer or an asset for the cowboys. Will he be hired by another NFL team if he leaves, sure , it could happen , but that team will not be a top tier elite NFL franchise.
Enought clapping and time to earn his money or give way for a proven Super Bowl winner . I would go for Sean Payton or Lincoln Riley from Oklahoma University .

Diehardblues

Reaction score
They did little to Improve the starters. Depth is good however in areas. Backups.
I’d have to agree. Not only are we still weak at Safety , I’m not sure if we’ve replaced Gregory’s talent level and while we have aided the DT rotation , it’s still not a strength position we have at DT. At best still to be determined. And how will Lawrence recover from surgery. Certainly reason to be concerned if DL will be as strong as last year and what those effects could be.

And Witten doesn’t necessarily solidly our TE position. A potential continued weakness. Let’s hope Cobb replaces Beasley’s production. And LG and RT I wouldn’t call being totally solidified either. And who knows how Freddy will be at Center. All of this still not knowing if our QB can elevate himself from middle of pack passer rankings.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I’d have to agree. Not only are we still weak at Safety , I’m not sure if we’ve replaced Gregory’s talent level and while we have aided the DT rotation , it’s still not a strength position we have at DT. At best still to be determined. And how will Lawrence recover from surgery. Certainly reason to be concerned if DL will be as strong as last year and what those effects could be.

And Witten doesn’t necessarily solidly our TE position. A potential continued weakness. Let’s hope Cobb replaces Beasley’s production. And LG and RT I wouldn’t call being totally solidified either. And who knows how Freddy will be at Center. All of this still not knowing if our QB can elevate himself from middle of pack passer rankings.

At worst it is a push with Quinn and Gregory, Hell Randy Gregory has potential but he can't seem to stay clean. Dallas OL looks very strong with the return of Frederick. We have young players who enter with more experience after this past season like an LVE. I hated losing Beasley but with Gallup now with a full season under his belt and of course Cooper coming back Dallas will not rely as much on slot. As the thread indicates there are no excuses and personally I think this team looks very strong heading into this season and expect a big year out of them

Diehardblues

Reaction score
At worst it is a push with Quinn and Gregory, Hell Randy Gregory has potential but he can't seem to stay clean. Dallas OL looks very strong with the return of Frederick. We have young players who enter with more experience after this past season like an LVE. I hated losing Beasley but with Gallup now with a full season under his belt and of course Cooper coming back Dallas will not rely as much on slot. As the thread indicates there are no excuses and personally I think this team looks very strong heading into this season and expect a big year out of them
That’s still to be determined. You’re allowed to speculate but it’s not known if we are no worse on DL.

And we don’t know yet if Beasley will be missed. And if Frederick will return to himself. Several question marks and uncertainty.

You call them excuses. I call them potential symptoms or causes.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At worst it is a push with Quinn and Gregory, Hell Randy Gregory has potential but he can't seem to stay clean.

And the team seems to think that there is some chance of having Gregory for the 2019 season as well.

Dallas OL looks very strong with the return of Frederick.

It looks stronger and deeper than the team that finished the season 6-1 after firing their mistake of an offensive line coach. They look to have a multitude of options.

We have young players who enter with more experience after this past season like an LVE. I hated losing Beasley but with Gallup now with a full season under his belt and of course Cooper coming back Dallas will not rely as much on slot.

Certainly not on a one-trick pony in the slot. They now have flexibility at the position with a lot of options there. From Cobb to Hurns to Austin to Pollard to Cooper, depending on how the roster shakes out.

As the thread indicates there are no excuses and personally I think this team looks very strong heading into this season and expect a big year out of them

Same here. One might rightfully question coaching, but I don't think you can say that lack of player talent can hold this team back.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
That’s still to be determined. You’re allowed to speculate but it’s not known if we are no worse on DL.

And we don’t know yet if Beasley will be missed. And if Frederick will return to himself. Several question marks and uncertainty.

You call them excuses. I call them potential symptoms or causes.

Gregory even playing football again is yet to be determined, one thing for sure he can't be counted on. I think Dallas is being a bit stupid on this guy. In 5 years he has been with the team he has managed to play 1 full season, the rest he has been suspended at part of the season and missed an entire season and very well could miss this one as well so Gregory to me is not a loss since he can't be counted on anyways. Quinn played just as well as Gregory did this past season and has put up double digits more than a couple of times. As for Beasley, I hated losing him but I like this WR core and Cobb may or may not have as many catches as Beasley did this past season but I fully expect Gallup to play a bigger role. I can't tell someone else how they must feel but for me I look at this roster and I see a team whom I expect to compete for a title.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
And the team seems to think that there is some chance of having Gregory for the 2019 season as well.

It looks stronger and deeper than the team that finished the season 6-1 after firing their mistake of an offensive line coach. They look to have a multitude of options.

Certainly not on a one-trick pony in the slot. They now have flexibility at the position with a lot of options there. From Cobb to Hurns to Austin to Pollard to Cooper, depending on how the roster shakes out.

Same here. One might rightfully question coaching, but I don't think you can say that lack of player talent can hold this team back.

As I mentioned I think the team is being stupid on Gregory, fact is he has proven 1 big thing which is he can't be counted on. Dallas has had him 5 years he has produced 7 sacks in 5 years. I'm done with them, I wish the Cowboys would face that as well. As for coaches again I don't think Garrett is as bad and this frustrated fan base feels he is. Not comparing him to any HC but for argument sake lets say he does post a record of 11-5 take them to the SB his record as a HC looks a lot better if you say 90 wins vs 67 loses and 5-3 in post season with a SB. Personally I hope that is the case but unlike some I don't have this deep seeded hatred for Garrett nor do I think he is incompetent. I think he understand this game a lot more than people give him credit for and those people many of those people have never played or coached a team in their lives they are no more than frustrated critics. I also know this team will play hard and will not quit on him. So count me as one of the few who believes in this team and theses coaches including Garrett

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As I mentioned I think the team is being stupid on Gregory, fact is he has proven 1 big thing which is he can't be counted on. Dallas has had him 5 years he has produced 7 sacks in 5 years. I'm done with them, I wish the Cowboys would face that as well.

Many people are calling Gregory's a case of mental illness. I can't help but to sympathize if that is accurate. And the league has an archaic stance on the issue that helps no one, including the league itself.

As for coaches again I don't think Garrett is as bad and this frustrated fan base feels he is. Not comparing him to any HC but for argument sake lets say he does post a record of 11-5 take them to the SB his record as a HC looks a lot better if you say 90 wins vs 67 loses and 5-3 in post season with a SB. Personally I hope that is the case but unlike some I don't have this deep seeded hatred for Garrett nor do I think he is incompetent. I think he understand this game a lot more than people give him credit for and those people many of those people have never played or coached a team in their lives they are no more than frustrated critics. I also know this team will play hard and will not quit on him. So count me as one of the few who believes in this team and theses coaches including Garrett

Count me as someone who hopes you're right, but has 9 years of evidence in his back pocket that says otherwise.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Gregory even playing football again is yet to be determined, one thing for sure he can't be counted on. I think Dallas is being a bit stupid on this guy. In 5 years he has been with the team he has managed to play 1 full season, the rest he has been suspended at part of the season and missed an entire season and very well could miss this one as well so Gregory to me is not a loss since he can't be counted on anyways. Quinn played just as well as Gregory did this past season and has put up double digits more than a couple of times. As for Beasley, I hated losing him but I like this WR core and Cobb may or may not have as many catches as Beasley did this past season but I fully expect Gallup to play a bigger role. I can't tell someone else how they must feel but for me I look at this roster and I see a team whom I expect to compete for a title.
I agree counting on Gregory was a mistake but the fact remains he made our DL better last year and it’s not known what his loss will mean and it’s impact. And if Quinn will fill that role. Hope is not a plan. I base my thoughts on what I see not what I hope or feel I will see. And why Id reserve my expectations until then.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
What starters - other than safety - did you feel they needed to improve but didn't?

Other than safety? That was the big one. TE, DT, got a few backup RB's but no one capable of carrying the load if something happens to Zeke.

Hill may be starter material down the road, but not much change for this season.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Many people are calling Gregory's a case of mental illness. I can't help but to sympathize if that is accurate. And the league has an archaic stance on the issue that helps no one, including the league itself.

Count me as someone who hopes you're right, but has 9 years of evidence in his back pocket that says otherwise.

I understand that but as I have said many times, I hope he gets his life together but, I wish no bad for him but this is a football team and their goal is one thing or should be 1 thing and that is to win. Winning with people you can't trust or count on makes the job much harder. We don't see other teams doing this because these players are dead weight for the team and thus are cut loose.

I expect more from Garrett but find it interesting that people would love to have Sean Payton as HC yet has not won a SB in the last 8 years despite having one of the 3 elite QB in the NFL. I like Payton myself but come on what has he done as of late? Not much

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Other than safety? That was the big one. TE, DT, got a few backup RB's but no one capable of carrying the load if something happens to Zeke.

They drafted not one, but two.

Hill may be starter material down the road, but not much change for this season.

They added Covington as well there. No big names, if that's what constitutes improvement. But they did use their top draft pick at the position.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I agree counting on Gregory was a mistake but the fact remains he made our DL better last year and it’s not known what his loss will mean and it’s impact. And if Quinn will fill that role. Hope is not a plan. I base my thoughts on what I see not what I hope or feel I will see. And why Id reserve my expectations until then.

Not saying Hope is a plan I like this team I look at the lineup and I expect big things from them. People here can have low expectations, high expectation or no expectations that is to each person to determine for themselves. I'm stating I expect a lot out of this team I don't do it out of hope I do it based on the players we have

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I understand that but as I have said many times, I hope he gets his life together but, I wish no bad for him but this is a football team and their goal is one thing or should be 1 thing and that is to win. Winning with people you can't trust or count on makes the job much harder. We don't see other teams doing this because these players are dead weight for the team and thus are cut loose.

When the NFL decides to change its archaic stance on marijuana, Randy Gregory will be a steal. Correct me if I'm wrong, but marijuana is the only issue he's ever had, right? It would be dumb to outright release him to be that steal for someone else. And that's why the team not only stuck by him, but they extended him.

I expect more from Garrett but find it interesting that people would love to have Sean Payton as HC yet has not won a SB in the last 8 years despite having one of the 3 elite QB in the NFL. I like Payton myself but come on what has he done as of late? Not much

Do you really want to ignore the extenuating circumstances with the Saints?